User Review Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Snapdragon Version(s) Review

I have always been a great fan of the OG Note (N7000). Not only has it been my first 'smartphone', it was the phone that convinced me to switch to a phone without a physical keypad. (My earlier phones were all Nokias, primarily the E variety with full qwerty keypads)

After having been with the N7000 for three years, and knowing it inside and out (Replacing the screen once, flashing several custom ROMs, tinkering with Xposed Modules and such like) and having experiences several other Android (Generic Tablets, and Samsung Tabs) and Apple devices, I finally found the time and inclination for write something about the latest acquisition - Note 3

Read On...

t6qwp0.jpg

The Note 3 along with the Tab 2 7.0, the Google Nexus 5, the Note 1, the Asha 501 (if I remember correctly)

The Physics - Hardware on the Outside

The first things you notice in the Note 3, especially coming from another large screen device (Note GT-N7000) is that it doesn’t seem to be unwieldy. In fact the 3 is more comfortable to hold than the OG Note, which has a screen size ½ inch smaller.

While that is a good thing, the build quality is something else that you will definitely notice. It is absolutely dismal. Barring the rear cover which has a nice leathery feel, everything else, which is mostly the the chrome bumper - feels and is of cheap quality (Full marks to the OG NOTE which is built better than the Note 2).

1. Button feel: Definitely better than both OG Note and Note 2 - clicker and has better feedback.
  2. S-Pen: Much better. More functional and providing additional nibs and tweezer is a great idea.
  3. Screen: 100% pure over saturated, striking gorgeousness. On par with the GN5, which in my opinion has the best screen of any mobile device. I have seen- iPad(latest and the Mini) included.
  4. Speaker: Samsung sticks to the single speaker design. But the speaker is at the bottom, so more audible, but nothing really stellar.
  5. Camera: Housed in a bump in the back, would have loved to see a treatment where the housing would not scratch so easily when rested on the back without a case.
The Chemistry - Software on the Outside

I really like TouchWiz. Before you holler and boo me out of here, read me out. I have been purely on custom ROMs on all my daily drivers for the better part of 18 months, and there are features of TW that simply do not exist elsewhere.

Most stellar of them being the Keyboard and the built-in clipboard.

The keyboard:

There is no need for Swype, SwiftKey (both of which I have purchased, thanks to the custom ROMs). Agreed that you cannot choose themes and all, but when it comes to pure functionality and how regional languages are treated (I regularly use Hindi, Telugu, and Bengali) is beautifully intuitive.

Most paid keyboards could learn several things about how native Indian languages should be treated and executed (no, not that executed). Full marks to Samsung. They keyboards now also 'reads' your typing style and suggests corrections and takes inputs from that.

The clipboard

The clipboard that automatically stores the last 20 items and gives you the ability to lock what you use more frequently is absolutely superb! Especially if you are the kind that needs to send the same piece of text(s) to several recipients, this could be a lifesaver.

Think addresses to customers, pieces of writing to editors, images and sketches for artists, or just something that you say / use often but do not care to keep a copy of it floating around on the phone as a separate file.

The Settings search

I have seen a lot of reviews moaning about the search feature saying that samsung baked in so many features that it had to include the search feature. I call their bluff. I have seen enough and then some more custom ROMs to see that there at any rate too many features that can be tinkered with in Android and a search feature is a really nifty idea.

Browser, File Manager have all gotten better & more intuitive and are definitely worth a mention and definitely worth being used. The attached screenshots will do more justice than words.
5ui6gw.png

2e33dzp.png
52cdmp.png
2urqicl.png

Messaging, Contacts & Dialer
(which thankfully stick to the basics) which takes us to the number pad directly is a definite plus in my book.

The S-Crapware

WHEN WILL SAMSUNG LISTEN TO US??? There simply needs be a limit. Samsung seems to want to cater to everyone who wants to anything. It is surprising that Samsung doesn't include a real kitchensink with the phone.
  1. Knox
  2. Link
  3. Hub
  4. Story Album
  5. S-Apps
  6. S-Health
  7. SketchBook
  8. Chat On
I am not saying it is a huge sample set, but among so many people that use Samsung phones around me, I haven't seen one (NOT EVEN ONE) who uses any of these. Even the health nuts I know do not use S-health. There might be some market for WatchOn and the universal remote it bundles, but considering I do not own a cable connection of any sort, I am not among those.

Translator is a kickass, but needs you to sign into your Samsung account. There are however a few features that Google could learn from & incorporate into the Google Translate app.

.....Inprogress. More on the way.....

Last edited:
Good start to a nicely shaping review.

PS: You can also write a review in the drafts section if it is a work in progress and later move it here. ;)

Back