Samsung Galaxy R i9103 for 21.9K from Letsbuy - Worth it?

boogeyman

Adept
Hello Guys,

I came across this deal: Buy Samsung Galaxy R i9103 at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

After the 5% off coupon its coming out to 21,899/- What do you guys think? It satisfies all my requirements perfectly (Proccy, RAM, screen-size, etc.) at this price, I would just have to stretch my budget by 1.9k.

I prefer the build quality of R more than SGS2. Also, the recent 9100 and 9100G issues have put me off SGS2. Not to mention that SGS2 isn't available anywhere for less than 27k which is stretching my budget by a huge 7k

Comparing with LG O2x, this one looks much better, is lighter and has more RAM. Although it does fall behind in the camera department.

P.S. If someone has been burnt by Letsbuy, you can try Flipkart for 1k more: Flipkart.com: Samsung Galaxy R I9103: Mobile

If you are interested in Custom ROMs and modding, then stay away. Galaxy R has no custom ROMs AFAIK, and Samsung has not promised ICS for it as well. SGS2, G or not, has every chance of getting ICS. In fact, all versions of SGS2 are getting ICS. So think about it.
Galaxy R is still a great phone for that price. The Tegra chipset is awesome. So it depends on your preferences.

Thanks for the replies guys.

mpaspc said:
SAMSUNG GALAXY R I9103 ANDROID 2.3 5MP 4.2"SLCD 1 GHZ DUAL CORE | eBay

how about this one at 21,490

you can use ebay 5 % codes to buy it at 20,490

Awesome find, but sadly its over :(. Please do let me know if its live again
divyesh2129 said:
Hey I think you should search Locally For SGS2

You will get by 26k to 27k Locally
27k is too much for me. Already stretching as it is for 'R'

drsingh said:
I think its a good choice.Best at around 20k right now.If letsbuy is giving extra accessories its even better.its worth saving 5k.

Exactly what I thought. Any idea what those accessories worth 1.2k are? I hope not the bluetooth handsfree kit.
akhurana said:
why not LG O2x ? weight diff is just 4 grams ? dont think u will feel it ? also better cam and hdmi connectivity and cheaper

Havent heard good things about O2x. Besides, there are battery issues, unstable stock ROM and I dont really like the design.
ambar_hitman said:
If you are interested in Custom ROMs and modding, then stay away. Galaxy R has no custom ROMs AFAIK, and Samsung has not promised ICS for it as well. SGS2, G or not, has every chance of getting ICS. In fact, all versions of SGS2 are getting ICS. So think about it.

Galaxy R is still a great phone for that price. The Tegra chipset is awesome. So it depends on your preferences.

I would be into custom ROMs and modding but that would be after the warranty period. So I'm hoping that by that time, new ROMS are developed.

Ordered the Optimus 2X from LG Optimus 2X P990 | eBay

Deal was just too good to resist, even though I was leaning towards SGR more :ashamed:

Had a look at XDA and there isn't even a separate section for SGR.

O2X on the other hand is already making serious headway towards ICS.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions especially mpaspc & comp@ddict

boogeyman said:
I tried using, none of them work. Even the HDFC ones don't. I believe Mastercard users can save 500 bucks, though, but I don't have that card

even though i ordered the phone i did rang ebay and they said the winter coupons are for all products but it also depends on whether the seller wants them in his/her products or not.. and in our case he has not opted for and that's why these codes don't work for us...

comp@ddict said:
Official LG's ICS update.

Wait will never end... by the time LG pushes ICS, the ICS fever will be already gone. LG has been really pathetic with updates. Optimus one got GB after loads of delay and Black n 2x have recently got it.

since Galaxy R has got 1gig of RAM it'll have no issues with ICS and would run it smooth. Samsung won't just ignore it so yeah R will get ICS at least way before 2x.

bindaasathar said:
Wait will never end... by the time LG pushes ICS, the ICS fever will be already gone. LG has been really pathetic with updates. Optimus one got GB after loads of delay and Black n 2x have recently got it.

since Galaxy R has got 1gig of RAM it'll have no issues with ICS and would run it smooth. Samsung won't just ignore it so yeah R will get ICS at least way before 2x.

You are wrong bro. The fastest way to get ICS is through custom ROMs and in this aspect, the O2x is way, way ahead of the Galaxy R. By next month, you can expect an ICS release for the O2x, while the Galaxy R does not even have a separate section for it in xda forums :p . And talking about Samsung's support, you would find an equal number of unsatisfied customers in their facebook page too. They are not even updating latest phones like the Galaxy W to ICS while LG considers updating even old phones like the Optimus One to ICS.

And remember, the Galaxy R is to the Galaxy S2 what the Galaxy SL was to the Galaxy S. And as we all know, the SL users waited forever to get even the GB update :D .

rhlravi said:
You are wrong bro. The fastest way to get ICS is through custom ROMs and in this aspect, the O2x is way, way ahead of the Galaxy R. By next month, you can expect an ICS release for the O2x, while the Galaxy R does not even have a separate section for it in xda forums :p . And talking about Samsung's support, you would find an equal number of unsatisfied customers in their facebook page too. They are not even updating latest phones like the Galaxy W to ICS while LG considers updating even old phones like the Optimus One to ICS.

And remember, the Galaxy R is to the Galaxy S2 what the Galaxy SL was to the Galaxy S. And as we all know, the SL users waited forever to get even the GB update :D .

Custom ROMs? They are not totally stable and reliable as that of stock but performance wise yeah they're superb. Can squeeze the performance out 100% only with the official ROM which has been codded as per the device's requirement and the Kernel varies. So the best way to have an awesome phone is to cook a custom rom with stock and CM! 2X has official support from both MIUI and CM but LG's history has it OP1 still doesn't have a fully functional CM yet. Since Samsung appointed CM developer its got advantage if Samsung doesn't release official update probably CM will make it available. About R not having its section @ XDA, it'll soon once there is demand. I agree with your "the Galaxy R is to the Galaxy S2 what the Galaxy SL was to the Galaxy S" point. But I still feel R will be updated before 2X.

Back