Android Samsung Galaxy S3 - battery drain

nick2012

Adept
battery gets drained so fast.
have to charge it 3 times a day now
no gaming just some internet.
have to change the battery or custom firmware fault??

^ Check your battery usage screen in the settings screen and see what's eating your battery.
I had this happen to me for a few days - the battery screen showed 'Media' or something that was the most used. It turns out there was something screwy with my SD card -- it wasn't being read cleanly (kept detecting and unmounting it repeatedly), so most of the battery was spent scanning and rescanning the SD card.
Took it out for a while and put it back in later... seems to be working okay till now.

battery gets drained so fast.
have to charge it 3 times a day now
no gaming just some internet.
have to change the battery or custom firmware fault??
I had a similar problem some time back.
I had used some battery monitor - but couldn't pin point the exact application causing the battery drainage (~13% per hour).
I am on stock and i just did a factory reset and it was resolved.

My brother is using a Samsung Infuse and is facing lot of issues with it. He too has decided not to go with samsung any more.
He has random reboot issues and massive battery drain.

I had a similar problem some time back.
I had used some battery monitor - but couldn't pin point the exact application causing the battery drainage (~13% per hour).
I am on stock and i just did a factory reset and it was resolved.
Me too having the same issue
I am using the lightest firmware wanamlite which before gives me just 1% drop whole night with wifi on.
So much irritates with this problem.
Charged at night now again 20% battery remaining..

My brother is using a Samsung Infuse and is facing lot of issues with it. He too has decided not to go with samsung any more.
He has random reboot issues and massive battery drain.

And what does that have to do with battery drain on the S3?

All others... Please install Better Battery Stats (free from XDA) and Wakelock detector. Charge phone to 100%, then monitor to your stats at the end of a cycle..say when 10% battery is left. Also how old are your batteries? Is there any bloating of puffiness on them? If so, you need to replace the battery. Most crazy batter drains can be isolated doing this.

And what does that have to do with battery drain on the S3?

All others... Please install Better Battery Stats (free from XDA) and Wakelock detector. Charge phone to 100%, then monitor to your stats at the end of a cycle..say when 10% battery is left. Also how old are your batteries? Is there any bloating of puffiness on them? If so, you need to replace the battery. Most crazy batter drains can be isolated doing this.
On august it will be 1 year
No nothing like puffiness at all

On august it will be 1 year
No nothing like puffiness at all

Ok try Better Battery Stats and Wakelock Detector. First thing you need to check is how much time your phone is awake compared to in Deep Sleep. Then look at the Kernel and Partial Wakelocks (Better Battery Stats)

All the android phones i have owned ,after installing a certain no of apps, start showing this behavior of random battery drainage.

The steps i take which has been very helpful are

1. Installing root app delete( Lets u delete all the bloatware that comes with phones. Especially with popular phones like S3, there are ready made lists at xda forums u can use to delete unwanted apps without tension) - Root Required
2. Installing greenify( Hibernates all the apps when not in use, dont greenify apps u use constantly like whatsapp)- Root Required
3. Installing Mobiwol ( Firewall which lets you block the apps from connecting to internet. I disable most of the apps). - Root not Required
4.Installing juice defender- This helps me to turn off 3G When screen is off. Most people wouldn't like this option, but i dont have a compulsion to check whatsapp with each new notification.

This has immensely helped my battery problems and am able to go over a day and a half with medium usage on my Lava iris 501. Sometimes, i face this issue randomly even after having applied all the above steps. But a simple reboot brings my phone back to normal.

I think android memory management itself has some flaws and we need to fine tune it to conserve battery. Ios has mastered this thing i feel as even on standby, my ipad mini drains only 1% every 2 days.

Is there any bloating of puffiness on them?

Second that, remove the battery and rotate it on flat surface, if it rotates like a top, its time to replace the battery. Thank god for user replaceable batteries , a friend had battery drain issues on his IPAD which was out of warranty, and he was quoted 20k to get it repaired :O

Back