Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge launched in India at outrageous prices!

Couple of things i'd like to point out.

Samsung has price protection for 6 months.

Both the smartphones will be available for purchase starting April 10, with pre-orders opening on Monday. Customers who pre-book will get price protection for the next 6 months. If Samsung reduces the price of Galaxy S6 or Galaxy S6 Edge - or introduces any cashback schemes - in India during that time, customers who pre-book will get the difference back as Payback points

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...alaxy-s6-edge-price-in-india-confirmed-673456

The memory used in the S6 is way way faster than any memory card you can buy in the market right now. Having a memory card always messes with the speed of the phone. One of the reasons iphones don't have a memory card slot.
As you can see, the new UFC 2.0 storage brought quite an improvement over the previous generation smartphones and the smartphone’s performance could have been seriously compromised if a microSD read or write was also in the equation. We know that cheap microSD storage is ideal for backup purposes and that is hardly going to change anytime soon, but perhaps it’s a fair guess that its days within high end smartphones are numbered.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-storage-performance-test/

Samsung has price protection for 6 months.
Good, they've learned since the s5 debacle.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...alaxy-s6-edge-price-in-india-confirmed-673456

The memory used in the S6 is way way faster than any memory card you can buy in the market right now. Having a memory card always messes with the speed of the phone.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-storage-performance-test/
messes with the speed is vague. if i have media either podcasts or videos how does it mess with the speed of the device.

sygic's maps are nearly 1GB for the whole country, i don't see much speed degradation when using its maps stored on sd card.

shifting apps to the sd card will slow them down but very few can be reliably offloaded there any way.

One of the reasons iphones don't have a memory card slot.
apple cunningly decided that you should pay them instead of somebody else if you want more storage.

^lol true about the apple storage logic
I like the price protection thing. and I've been using a Samsung Class 6 card for a while now but I don't see any difference in my phone. Maybe my phone sucks.

Class six means a minimum write speed of 6MB/s or 50Mb/s. Full HD at 30fps writes at 17Mbs and 60fps at 30Mbs.

Only 4k (sony averages 50Mb/s) video recording requires a faster write rate or raw.

Good, they've learned since the s5 debacle.

messes with the speed is vague. if i have media either podcasts or videos how does it mess with the speed of the device.

sygic's maps are nearly 1GB for the whole country, i don't see much speed degradation when using its maps stored on sd card.

shifting apps to the sd card will slow them down but very few can be reliably offloaded there any way.

apple cunningly decided that you should pay them instead of somebody else if you want more storage.

Here you go: http://static.usenix.org/events/fast12/tech/full_papers/Kim.pdf

http://www.in.techradar.com/news/ph...-cards-in-our-phones/articleshow/41428899.cms

According to a study carried out by Hyojun Kim at the Georgia Institute of technology, using a microSD card in your phone can cause it to become sluggish, with even basic tasks like web browsing suffering as a result. Overall performance can often drop by between 100% and 300% and in one case the study found that there was an incredible 2000% decrease in performance.

But

The reason for the performance loss is simple, microSD cards themselves aren't fast enough. They can't keep up with the power and speed packed into modern smartphones. Though some are better at this than others and the brand and class of card you choose will have a big impact.

That paper is dated Jan 23 2012. In 2015 with class 10 cards available and android having gone through 3 major revisions, how significant is it. Sandisk seems to do well in comparison to internal memory but kingston is not very good at all.

Its not possible to move apps to the sd card in their entirety, the control bit always resides on the internal memory and sometimes data can be moved to the sd card. This will be slower in comparison but not to the point where it is an issue. Read speeds are already quite fast. Back in 2012 this was not the case i suppose and you could store everything pretty much on sd card if desired. Why not. * nix allowed it.

Where i will agree is on reliability of sd cards. Having lost a card after only a year of use. I get the impression you want to change them more often if you do lots of erasing and writing. Moment you see android complaining that card was removed and you know it wasn't is time to replace.

Last edited:
But

That paper is dated Jan 23 2012. In 2015 with class 10 cards available and android having gone through 3 major revisions, how significant is it. Sandisk seems to do well in comparison to internal memory but kingston is not very good at all.

Its not possible to move apps to the sd card in their entirety, the control bit always resides on the internal memory and sometimes data can be moved to the sd card. This will be slower in comparison but not to the point where it is an issue. Read speeds are already quite fast. Back in 2012 this was not the case i suppose and you could store everything pretty much on sd card if desired. Why not. * nix allowed it.

Where i will agree is on reliability of sd cards. Having lost a card after only a year of use. I get the impression you want to change them more often if you do lots of erasing and writing. Moment you see android complaining that card was removed and you know it wasn't is time to replace.

Class 10 cards have been available for quite a while. Class 10 does not necessarily mean better performance. Some class 6 cards perform better in sequential reads and writes. Will post links in a bit.

^actually from the manufacturer's perspective, not allowing a card means tight control over hardware which allows better perf tuning. it becomes a big factor w.r.t storage because almost all the time, performance hit is because of IO rather than cpu or ram.

Class 10 cards have been available for quite a while. Class 10 does not necessarily mean better performance. Some class 6 cards perform better in sequential reads and writes. Will post links in a bit.
No doubt but the qualifier i sensed from your article is performance hit depends on the card.

Meaning it won't be as large as 300% if you have a decent card. And we're not even talking about extreme class cards here.

The larger question is does it matter which is where you came in. In some cases yes so is that a valid argument not to have an sd card slot at all. Is there a performance hit just by having the provision even if there is no card present ?

The m8 introduced it and htc retained it with the m9, the reason given is htc mastered the outer body manufacturing process after the m7. Wouldn't this invalidate the rationale for avoiding sd due to slowness ?

s6 design and edge are two new parameters introduced into the mix. So i suppose samsung could not figure out a way to provide sd card with this iteration. As for future given their past record i expect to see it appear in the next version. And i suspect removable battery may be gone for good. Unless they also offer a variant.

Given the stunt they pulled last year with offering a snapdragon LTE version just four months after launch, i'd take my time before getting either of the s6 variants.

Last edited:
No doubt but the qualifier i sensed from your article is performance hit depends on the card.

Meaning it won't be as large as 300% if you have a decent card. And we're not even talking about extreme class cards here.

The larger question is does it matter which is where you came in. In some cases yes so is that a valid argument not to have an sd card slot at all. Is there a performance hit just by having the provision even if there is no card present ?

The m8 introduced it and htc retained it with the m9, the reason given is htc mastered the outer body manufacturing process after the m7. Wouldn't this invalidate the rationale for avoiding sd due to slowness ?

s6 design and edge are two new parameters introduced into the mix. So i suppose samsung could not figure out a way to provide sd card with this iteration. As for future given their past record i expect to see it appear in the next version. And i suspect removable battery may be gone for good. Unless they also offer a variant.

Given the stunt they pulled last year with offering a snapdragon LTE version just four months after launch, i'd take my time before getting either of the s6 variants.

No, it definitely won't be 300% but it will make the occasional lag and stutter people associate with Android phones go away to some extent. Either way, it's always better to wait a month or two before getting a flagship. That way you'll be aware of all the bugs in the phone and whether any of them would be a deal breaker for you.

Good price drop. but IMO these are still overpriced. The Edge should not be worth more than 40k.
Its no doubt a good device and my sister currently has it and loves it. But its still not worth the price its selling for even as a premium device.

My sister shares my disdain for Apple phones as she also finds them sort of crappy and useless due to the limited feature set and restrictive ecosystem. Her company provides her a free iPhone for both personal and professional use which is also upgraded each year when the new iteration comes out. After iPhone 6 came out, she was allowed to trade in the 5s for either the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. She got the 6 Plus which is now gathering dust as she doesn't find it to be good enough. She purchased the S6 Edge instead and using that .

As I said in other instances, this is IMO nonsense if you think that just having a memory card in the phone will slow it down regardless of what you are using it for and whether you are using it or not. if you have apps on the card, it may slow down (which I still didn't notice), but in other cases, I don't think it will have any impact.

I have an Asus TF300 tablet bought in 2013 with 32 GB internal storage and a 64 GB microSDHC and the card doesn't make any difference on the performance at all. Neither in everyday usage nor in benchmarks. I use the card only for storage of video and e-books and all of them open well without any lag. Same for photo gallery for photos in the card. Same goes for my Samsung Galaxy S3 in which I used to have a 64 GB memory card in addition to the internal storage.

The internal storage is usually faster than memory card in these kind of devices, but having a memory card does not suddenly make the phone or tablet slower.

Last edited:
Back