Samsung N140 vs N150 vs HP 210 (Intel Atom N280 vs. N450)

onthemove

Disciple
Was holding back buying the N140 as the newer N450 based netbooks were around the corner. Now that they are available, there is a lot of confusion about the two models that samsung has made available. (Acer Aspire model exists too, but that's not suitable for outdoor usage so out of the question..)

* The Samsung N140 with Win7, N280, 250GB, bluetooth is retailing for 17k on ebay.

* The Samsung N150 with win xp with 160GB HDD, N450, no bluetooth is retailing for the same price.

For now even though the processor, the graphics chip, and the memory controller are on single die and Intel claims battery improvements, N150 actually claims only 8.5 hours battery life compared to the 12 hour claim(due to the capacity of battery mostly) by N140.
Going by all that is available and initial reviews, it seems the N140 is actually a better buy right now. The only tipping over point could be the better graphics performance of the N450.
EEE Journal for Netbooks and Mini Laptops: Intel Atom N450 (Pineview) vs Atom N280 vs N270 Benchmarks: Netbooks, EEE PC, MSI Wind, Aspire One and Akoya Resources.
14oaf0o.jpg

Haven't personally seen the N150 but the intel N450 should make for a sleeker design.

Looks like the N140 is a better deal after all? :huh:

Re: Samsung N140 vs N150 (Intel Atom N280 vs. N450)

new chiclet island style keyboard ( mixed reviews) and slicker chasis as well, less finger print magnet exterior, plus the newer chip with better graphics performance. tough call. but ur right internal bluetothh, longer battery life, tried and tested and praised keyboard, larger hard drive. one should gravitate towards n140 and it should see another price dive as newer perceptually is in more demand like n150 and n140 with this spec should be considered aged platform soon, a week or two , picture should be clearer, price being the deciding factor, another option is recently launched HP Mini 210, , at the price 15.5k -16k ,

Originally Posted by raymasky
I went to lamington road today and got a quote for a HP mini - N450 / 160gb / 1gb ram / bt + wifi and DOS preloaded for 15.5k . I think i'll pick it up.

seems a very good bet as well

There is another model called Samsung N148.
Its config is same as samsung n150 just that it comes wid DOS.
N148 costs around 16.5k

The N150's keyboard has been slammed n the reviews though

CNET has posted one of the first reviews of the Samsung N150. Overall, the reviewer finds the netbook to be a mixed bag. He finds the keyboard to be a little cramped, but he likes the touchpad which supports multitouch gestures.

The 4400mAh battery provided just over 5 hours of run time in a Battery Eater test. Since Battery Eater is designed to constantly stress the CPU, you should expect closer to 6 or 7 hours of web surfing or other light duty activities.

Samsung N150 netbook reviewed

The HP is a glossy screen model so that is not good for outdoor use. N150 looks ok but the only bad part is (apart from the lack of bluetooth) the low battery life as compared to the N210. But the N210 has not been launched yet (or so the dealer says, and its also expected to cost more)

Its config is same as samsung n150 just that it comes wid DOS.

N148 costs around 16.5k

Yes, the dealer on ebay said he will list it soon, but that was 7 days back. Dealers tend to be biased against the basic Dos version i guess as it might have lower margins..

onthemove said:
^^ oh, thats a very good option then.
Its listed on ebay for 16k too.
eBay India: HP Mini 210 Netbook PC with New N450 Processor DOS (item 380205276224 end time 16-Feb-2010 17:04:50 IST)
Am more inclined to buy this now actually :) The only downside, as you said, is again the reduced battery size. Also the touchpad is not multi-touch(although that is not much of a problem for me)

trackpad is multitouch but it has got bad mixed reviews for integrated left and right mouse buttons intergarted into the touchpad itself at the bottom without any difference to the surface area means to click either one has to double tap the area or guess where the mouse button should be at for single tap, or one can't make out the difference where one left the touchpad and entered into mouse button area , macbook does the same pretty good, dell doesn't, so the verdict is out there if it is implement properly or bad execution, one should get used to it fairly soon ,

I think it is lacks wireless draft n specification in wifi, shouldn't be major bother

No 3.5 external mic/headphone slot as it supposed to have very good integrated internal mic with webcam

surely it would be 3 cell at this price point, but one can upgrade later on

hp keyboard should be better than samsung chiclet style keyboard as they have doing chiclet for some more time than samsung

and as of now it is coming out to be cheaper than newer crop of samsung netbooks if u take the shipping into account

hp has more flaunt value and i guess looks better as well

i don't know if this model has got the latest feature of netbooks i.e. - instant boot for quick web acess in 10 seconds for only browsers not full OS , which samsung n220 has but n150 doesn't although the page at ebay suggests it has that feature..

that is all ok but one started from the budget of under 15 n140 xp looked pretty good deal but with new pinetrail processors and newer chassis and keyboards but lesser battery time and some some cut down of the hardware plus 1-1.5k for the price . n140 still looks a better deal but one would go towards newer to future proof himself. as pinetrail, instant boot, hp's better keyboard should be enough for that extra 1.5k one would spend. a week or 10 days picture would be clearer

change the thread name to ` Samsung N140 vs N150 vs hp mini 210. more people will pour in with their opinions

Found something else

Also, beware ordering the most basic HP 210.

The basic ones (with the anti-glare screen) come with these weird terraced keys that are NOT fun to type on.

I usually don't like chiclet keyboards but the keyboard on the mini 210 is a joy.

ALSO, the cheapest mini 210 comes in a cheap glossy finish, instead of the matte finish on the higher end models.

Hope that clears some things up

*OFFICIAL: HP Mini 210 Owners Lounge!*

Btw the N148 is also available now for almost same price as 210 (500 Rs costlier)

http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380205280089#ht_4232wt_1165

HP looks better though but its battery life is nowhere close to Samsung. And someone has this to say also

I've found out some saddening information about the "Brightview Infinity" displays.

I think I've figured it out. HP is using antiglare screens across the board on all HP 210 models and on MOST of them they just put a piece of glass on top of it and call it "BrightView." The problem is is that not only do you get the grainy look from a ant-glare screen, but you also get a glossy screen! Top that off with an AUO screen and its just horrible.

I ended up returning my HP mini 210 and swapping it out for a HP DM3 (OfficeMax.com has them for $499.99 this week!) and I'm much, much happier with it.

For me outdoor use is critical, so that should work

Some related links to N210

Quick start software on the HP Mini 210 – Video

[youtube]RfszSXrsy8g[/youtube]

[youtube]4AcgWhp3NAU[/youtube]

one thing is there , u can't go wrong with old samsung n140 it has second to maybe toshiba 205 or asus 1005ha in terms of positive reviews, and that too at the time when glossy was considered good till 6 months back, not now . so it is the best netbook out there ini its combo of spec and price. samsung n150's keyboard is little different than n210/n220 getting mixed reviews,hp miini 210 has touchpad, battery and display issues or let's say everything is not clear at that front, one has to see it in person to take a call, samsung n210/220 would be little more expensive and according to people on same link of ` hp lounge' say ` samsung n210 display is little grainy' granier than hp mini 210. Nobody said that about samsung n140. so the choice narrows between hp mini 210 and samsung n140 both got positive reviews on the keyboards, both got internal bluetooth and samsung n150 doesn't as it is sometimes does play at the back of one's mind ,if one needs it in its usage in future , one will have buy and use usb dongle , surprising thing is samsung uses bluetooth 2.1 edr and hp uses bluetooth 2.0 only inspite of being newer lineup. hp has pinetrail proc, sleeker chassis, newer keyboard, instant boot .some who has seen it in flesh with its specs would be better informed .which is matter of 2-3 days when someone drops in their inputs regarding that

Actually just checked with the dealer on ebay and the n210 is 3 cell and gives approx 4 hours battery. Not really too good and while it might look stylish, if the battery is not good enough, its not worth it as a netbook.

The N140 is a very good model but imo there is enough added into the N450(in terms of power saving and slight but significant graphics performance boost) that makes you hard to ignore it.

I have been reading more about it and the only sticking point could be the keyboard. Beats me why samsung would change the good keyboard of N140 with another in N150 :S

About the matte being grainier, on the same forum thread, someone mentioned also that HP is in the middle between glossy and matte and personally from the videos linked above, it does seem to reflect. The N150 hands on video does however give it a thumbs up for screen and battery life but a thumbs down for keyboard.

[youtube]Nd5fa5Jg4Fk[/youtube]

where is the choice now between these 3 , you have taken out all three out of equation, samsung n140 old n270/280 intel 945, hp mini very less battery, and samsung n150 bad keyboard . Then u should increase ur budget, get 6 cell battery instead of 3 in hp mini 210 or consider other options like acer 0532h with pinetrail and wait for a while for samsung n210/220 to break the cover

I am in the same boat bro, want to get a netbook and confused by the choices. BTW, did you consider the Lenovo s10 2 and Acer D250 with these? I wanted to buy the newest HP Mini 210 but read that it's the cheapest model from that series and doesn't come with bluetooth or 6 cell battery. Do you know anything about this?

Abhi.

Lenovo S10-2 is glossy screen, N280 processor.

eBay India: Lenovo S10-2 Netbook WiFi Win XP Bluetooth CAM Dolby® (item 220538780198 end time 10-Feb-2010 12:03:29 IST)

Am not really interested in glossy screens but if you are, you can consider Acer Aspire one using Intel N450 proc also. It has Reliance broadband connection free too, i think.

I don't think the HP Mini is good enough. I have given it very serious thought but it just does not cut it with its battery life. If you are thinking like me, imo on the matte screen, N148 seems the best bet with shipping included. (for 16k after 1k ebay discount)

(I know the N210 will be launched soon too, but i don't think 19k for a netbook is worth it.)

onthemove said:
haha :p

Yeah, or maybe will try to check out the N150 personally and see ho bad the bad keyboard is. Else it looks ok.

n148 looks like will take samsung n128 route , in last 2-3 months as a trend people went up for samsung n128 as it between 13-14 but some held back because lack of stereo , no bluetooth and lesser battery, now with n148 at least stereo part of of speakers is covered ( lot of people want not one legged but stereo speaker sound even if it is tiny sounding, lot of times people are not carrying their headsets and near external speakers) , newer keyboard in fact actually the above in the link the reviwer is prasing the keyboard, maybe it is in competetion to hp or toshiba's chiclet keyboard so the dissapointment of some reviwers as samsung was class leading in netbook keyboards as the best, so the expectation was to expect keyboard better than the HP in chiclet also etc, so it is not the not the best per se, but i guess it won't be as bad in itself, they suddenly cannot go that bad. so stereo speakers, better graphics and processor ,better battery life than n128 (actually it is the same battery unit 4400 6 cell but gives 1-2 hour more bcos of pinetrail ) , if it comes around 15k then it is a very good value better than what it already is .Anyway in the real world the prices should be cheaper than virtual ebay.so the case is settled samsung n148 seems the best bet and vfm as of now

Now what do you say to this deal -
eBay India: Samsung Netbook - Laptop - N140 Win 7 250 GB N280 (item 260550253103 end time 17-Feb-2010 08:00:00 IST)

hatydu said:
^^ Yep but again at that price, i think you will really ant to go for N150 than N140. Simply cos the Win 7 starter is a crippled product and the only thing that it has is the bigger HDD.

The atom 450 will offer better performance and battery plus atleast from the photos, i don't see there is any difference between N140 and N150 keyboards :p

Just some updates to help others.

The Older but advanced version of N140 is "Deal of the Week" on Ebay. Available with shipping for 15,550: eBay India: Samsung Netbook - Laptop - N140 Win 7 250 GB N280 (item 260550253103 end time 17-Feb-2010 08:00:00 IST)

Lenovo S10-2 also going for 15,390: eBay India: Lenovo S10-2 Netbook WiFi Win XP Bluetooth CAM Dolby® (item 220553604764 end time 17-Feb-2010 08:00:00 IST)

And finally the Hp Mini 211 (using N450)for 17,150 eBay India: Lenovo S10-2 Netbook WiFi Win XP Bluetooth CAM Dolby® (item 220553604764 end time 17-Feb-2010 08:00:00 IST)

(Sadly no N150 there :mad:)
And on the N150, i think people are a bit harsh on its keyboard. The Samsung Netbook forum seems to think its better than N140)
Samsung Netbook Community: Samsung N150 Overview
Points to note, the design is much improved over previous models with a very neat slim looking chassis, scratch resistant outer casing and a notable solid build quality. All these features add up to give the netbook a solid look and feel. The keyboard is similar to the NB30 version and a welcome enhancement over the N130 and N140, however a single mouse button is still included.

the link that u posted above for hp mini is lenovo's link and the link that for samsungs keyboard is an overview looks wise, not an user experience.if u think win7 starter is crippled and you are referring your preference as n150, not n148 means u will 1k more for windows xp which n150 is coming with , it is better to go for n148 instead, and save up 1k, one can install XP or win 7 ultimate on his own anyways.and u missed two more things as compared to n140 it is also missing internal bluetooth and lesser battery life. But i think i understand what r saying, as i was saying newer the better , and it has more power, double battery than hp mini 210, i would go in the same direction too, but i would rather get n148 than n150 as the price difference would eventually be like 1.5 k between the two.

Back