Samsung Wave S8500 India release

Re: Samsung Wave S8500 India release??

Yep. Told my friend to ask the price for the peice at the shop. Shopkeeper quoted him Rs. 16600/- for the phone.

Ankur said:
Yep. Told my friend to ask the price for the peice at the shop. Shopkeeper quoted him Rs. 16600/- for the phone.

Really cant believe the pricing. At first, I thought it would be around 25K, then it was announced for 19K.
And now you saying 16.6K is just awesome.

the galaxy S is the one being called "galaxy spice" right????

i was under the impression that the spica is for 12K!!

^^ Galaxy S and galaxy Spica are different phones . Spica is 12k only . Spica is i5700 . Galaxy S is i9000

khaleelda1 said:
the galaxy S is the one being called "galaxy spice" right????

i was under the impression that the spica is for 12K!!
yes spica cost 12k if you can get it & just launched one is Galaxy Spica's MRP is 31 K so we should expect it come to our hand below 30 K :ashamed:

manu1991 said:
IIRC price was 16 thousand something . Awesome specs . Snapdragon processor . Bluetooth 3.0

This does not use the snapdragon processor. It uses the Samsung Hummingbird core whose CPU is what Apple A4 in iPad and iPhone 4 are based around. Hummingbird CPU performance is better than Snapdragon and Graphics performance is more than twice that of Snapdragon. IMO anything less than 20k is divine for this phone. The only thing is that it uses Bada OS which Samsung is pitting as a new smartphone OS which leads to a question of how many apps will be available. I have gone through some videos showcasing the Bada OS and its essentially Touch Wiz and some elements borrowed from Android UI. If this is selling for 16~17k, then I am guessing Galaxy S (which is essentially similar hardware with a bigger screen and Android) would be priced near 26k and not 31k.

Sorry , my bad , I just assumed snapdragon was the only 1 ghz processor . Specs wise this phone IS kickass . Bluetooth 3.0 , wifi N etc . Hopefully Bada OS takes off , IINM its based on C++ . Hopefully Samsung can interest developers

Wave has 45nm ARM cortex A8 processor working at 1GHZ .. same as Iphone 4 and I pad. These are faster than 1GHZ snapdragon ones found in Desire or Xperia X10 ..Also the gpu used is powervr SGX 540 which is more powerful than most devices out there.. 16.x k is a steal for Wave.. Even upto 17k is a very good price. Not more than that as BADA os- not sure about this aspect. Right now consider it as a top of the line feature phone. That screen is just gorgeous and alone is worth going for. Also the video recording is spot on with 720P @30 fps and no frame drops with avg of 29.x frames. 5MP cam is pretty good one with native divx / xvid support upto 720P resolution. Excellent device for 16-17k. I think its the best 720P video recording phone out in the market right now. Even better than Omnia Hd and Vivaz which do it at 24 frames only.

It seems Wave will only be available around the 1st week of July in Mumbai. Is there any way to get it from Delhi sooner?

Some videos of Wave and Bada OS.

[youtube]j1HppPKVBKc[/youtube]

[youtube]BiW1n8mIhys[/youtube]

The hardware specs of this phone are amazing. The screen is better than that iPhone 4 and the processor speed comparable to iPhone 4 processor. Only the things that would stop me from getting this phone are
* new Bada OS
* Initial previews indicate that the predictive text capability on the soft keypad appears to be broken and the soft keypad is not as good as iphone or HTC.
* The browsing experience from the dolphin browser appears to be just ok.
* Samsung history of not issuing updates for their phone . I heard reports of samsung saying that they will not be issuing updates to the JET range which was the first one to get the Bada.

All the software problems might be addressed, once new versions of OS become available.
However, having said all this the phone appears to have the best VFM in its segment assuming a 16-17k price . I also believe that this phone is to samsung what Google N1 is for Google . So this phone should have all the latest updates.

I am myself considering getting one .:)

sandy453 said:
The hardware specs of this phone are amazing. The screen is better than that iPhone 4 and the processor speed comparable to iPhone 4 processor. Only the things that would stop me from getting this phone are

* new Bada OS

* Initial previews indicate that the predictive text capability on the soft keypad appears to be broken and the soft keypad is not as good as iphone or HTC.

* The browsing experience from the dolphin browser appears to be just ok.

* Samsung history of not issuing updates for their phone . I heard reports of samsung saying that they will not be issuing updates to the JET range which was the first one to get the Bada.

All the software problems might be addressed, once new versions of OS become available.

However, having said all this the phone appears to have the best VFM in its segment assuming a 16-17k price . I also believe that this phone is to samsung what Google N1 is for Google . So this phone should have all the latest updates.

I am myself considering getting one .:)
for starters the wave is the first phone to get the BADA OS, the JET jus has touchwiz and the processor for iphone 4 and wave are the same (designed by Samsung) and considering that they are investing a huge amount in BADA apps i think the wave will have good support in the future.

sandy453 said:
The screen is better than that iPhone 4 and the processor speed comparable to iPhone 4 processor.
The processor is not just comparable, Its actually the exact same CPU. Apple A4 is nothing more than an ARM Cortex A8 based SoC (And if you didn't know all previous iPhones used Samsung CPU's) which is what both Wave and Galaxy S use. Also there are rumors that the current batch of A4's are not even manufactured separately. They are just re-branded Samsung chips.

As for display technology, its a matter of perspective. Technology wise LG's IPS LCD and Samsung's S-AMOLED both have their own advantages. Personally I would like the best of both worlds like lower power consumption, better and vibrant colors, better viewing angles, contrast etc. If there is anything I don't particularly like about retina display, its the silly aspect ratio that Apple had to use in their previous phones and now had to be forced on the retina display as well.

Lord Nemesis said:
The processor is not just comparable, Its actually the exact same CPU. Apple A4 is nothing more than an ARM Cortex A8 based SoC (And if you didn't know all previous iPhones used Samsung CPU's) which is what both Wave and Galaxy S use. Also there are rumors that the current batch of A4's are not even manufactured separately. They are just re-branded Samsung chips.

As for display technology, its a matter of perspective. Technology wise LG's IPS LCD and Samsung's S-AMOLED both have their own advantages. Personally I would like the best of both worlds like lower power consumption, better and vibrant colors, better viewing angles, contrast etc. If there is anything I don't particularly like about retina display, its the silly aspect ratio that Apple had to use in their previous phones and now had to be forced on the retina display as well.

Comparable but not the same. The Apple's A4 is customized version of ARM Cortex A8 SOC as per the article.
EETimes.com - Apple's A4 dissected, discussed...and tantalizing
I stand corrected as far as the Samsung Jet. It is not the first one to have BADA OS.

sandy453 said:
I stand corrected as far as the Samsung Jet. It is not the first one to have BADA OS.

Jet doesn't have bada OS at all. (And according to samsung, it is "bada" and not Bada or BADA or BaDa or any other variant :) )

I'm really thinking of selling off my hero and getting the wave. I made a list of thing I do (or want to do) on a phone, and the wave scored higher than hero! :p

zhopudey said:
Jet doesn't have bada OS at all. (And according to samsung, it is "bada" and not Bada or BADA or BaDa or any other variant :) )

I'm really thinking of selling off my hero and getting the wave. I made a list of thing I do (or want to do) on a phone, and the wave scored higher than hero! :p
I don't think it is such a great idea to jump for bada & leave the trusted Android. I suggest u wait for sumtime before deciding to shift..... I really don't like the looks of bada to be frank.

Back