Camera Samsung's hybrid NX Series camera: point-and-shoot with DSLR-like image sensor

Blade_Runner

Skilled
Samsung's hybrid NX Series camera: point-and-shoot with DSLR-like image sensor

While we still prefer the Micro Four Thirds approach (we love lens selection, so sue us), Samsung's conceptual NX Series is still looking pretty boss for those needing a true (or close to true) point-and-shoot frame. Announced here at PMA, this new "hybrid" camera maintains the slim stature of a standard pocket cam, yet includes an APS-C sized image sensor that is traditionally found on DSLRs. In layman's terms, that means this camera will boast a larger surface area "to gather light and produce higher-quality images than comparable digital camera systems." In order to keep things thin, the electronic viewfinder (EVF) replaces the DSLR mirror box, but details beyond that are scant. The good news, however, is that Sammy plans to commercialize the NX line and have 'em shipping by the second half of this year. Is the P&S-DSLR gap finally being bridged? Guess we'll find out (not so) soon enough; per usual, the full release is just after the break.

Source

Whatever it is I still don't trust Samsung for cameras.

and DSLR is a DSLR .I feel its just a marketing tactic ,thats it.

^^ Expect it to sell for about $600 and above. Nothing below that ! Plus you have to take into consideration the additional cost of lenses.

I would have considered this if I had not invested in a Sony A200.

BF1983 said:
^^ Expect it to sell for about $600 and above. Nothing below that ! Plus you have to take into consideration the additional cost of lenses.

I would have considered this if I had not invested in a Sony A200.

well hope sony gets a R1 replacement which had a APS-C size sensor,but with a fixed lens,todays cameras that have a zooms as high as 24x,i mean if u want a similar zoom range in a DSLR that lens is going to cost quite a lot around 70k just for the lens,only pixel peepers are going to see the difference.
from 3 years i wanted to buy a DSLR ,but always at the last minute i always went for a prosumer camera.i would have bought a A200 but thanks to sony who jacked up the prices.:mad:,now slowly manufactures are ditching the optical view finder in favour of the electronic view finder like in panasonic G1 which is uses a Lcos tech similar to the one uses in sonys highly famed XBR projection tvs.and in the near future with OLED i am sure pretty much every DSLR manufacturer will start ditching the optical view finder.

if camera manufacures put the same kind of image processing(which they started) ,metering modes etc in a prosumer camera with a fairly large sensor,it would spell the doom for DSLRs,just my two cents.

here is a comparision of canon eos 450d($600),panasonic G1 micro third DSLR($640),and the prosumer camera canon SX10 IS($370).
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 review: real-life results, G1 vs 450D / XSi, G1 vs SX10 ISi | Cameralabs

from the images in the link the canon Sx10IS is giving the DSLRs a run for its money.a few years ago their was great difference in picture quality compared to DSLRs but nowdays the gap is narrowing,sure the DSLRS have low noise,and given the right lens will no doubt trash the prosumer,but for that u need a lot of vitamin M.my unlce who had $5000 worth of SLR stuff today uses a canon g9.so unless u are into a hobby i.e an expensive hobby it aint worth getting a dSLR.:)

adder said:
well hope sony gets a R1 replacement which had a APS-C size sensor,but with a fixed lens,todays cameras that have a zooms as high as 24x,i mean if u want a similar zoom range in a DSLR that lens is going to cost quite a lot around 70k just for the lens,only pixel peepers are going to see the difference.
from 3 years i wanted to buy a DSLR ,but always at the last minute i always went for a prosumer camera.i would have bought a A200 but thanks to sony who jacked up the prices.:mad:,now slowly manufactures are ditching the optical view finder in favour of the electronic view finder like in panasonic G1 which is uses a Lcos tech similar to the one uses in sonys highly famed XBR projection tvs.and in the near future with OLED i am sure pretty much every DSLR manufacturer will start ditching the optical view finder.

if camera manufacures put the same kind of image processing(which they started) ,metering modes etc in a prosumer camera with a fairly large sensor,it would spell the doom for DSLRs,just my two cents.

here is a comparision of canon eos 450d($600),panasonic G1 micro third DSLR($640),and the prosumer camera canon SX10 IS($370).
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 review: real-life results, G1 vs 450D / XSi, G1 vs SX10 ISi | Cameralabs

from the images in the link the canon Sx10IS is giving the DSLRs a run for its money.a few years ago their was great difference in picture quality compared to DSLRs but nowdays the gap is narrowing,sure the DSLRS have low noise,and given the right lens will no doubt trash the prosumer,but for that u need a lot of vitamin M.my unlce who had $5000 worth of SLR stuff today uses a canon g9.so unless u are into a hobby i.e an expensive hobby it aint worth getting a dSLR.:)

^^ Regarding the above comparison they have used only kit lenses.

And you dont need to spend lots of Vitamin M to get good results. I have bought a 5k 28-105mm lens a 50mm f1.7 lens and a 2.5k 100-200 f4.5 lens. Now those are cheap lenses but they will give higher range lenses a run for their money !

One major advantage that DSLRs have over P&S cameras is speed. AF on DSLRs are far more accurate and faster than the contrast based AF systems on P&S cameras. Of course the gap is narrowing but unless you go for a micro 4/3rd system or this Samsung cam you will never get the beautiful bokeh and shallow DOF shots. My A200 is not too much better than my earlier Fuji S5600 but taking pictures is far more entertaining. I love using the viewfinder, the beautiful Bokeh of the 50mm f1.7 lens and the nice meaty grip of the A200. All in all I do not regret getting a DSLR. You really should try it out. Maybe your next camera purchase will be a DSLR ! :bleh:

BF1983 said:
^^ Regarding the above comparison they have used only kit lenses.

And you dont need to spend lots of Vitamin M to get good results. I have bought a 5k 28-105mm lens a 50mm f1.7 lens and a 2.5k 100-200 f4.5 lens. Now those are cheap lenses but they will give higher range lenses a run for their money !

One major advantage that DSLRs have over P&S cameras is speed. AF on DSLRs are far more accurate and faster than the contrast based AF systems on P&S cameras. Of course the gap is narrowing but unless you go for a micro 4/3rd system or this Samsung cam you will never get the beautiful bokeh and shallow DOF shots. My A200 is not too much better than my earlier Fuji S5600 but taking pictures is far more entertaining. I love using the viewfinder, the beautiful Bokeh of the 50mm f1.7 lens and the nice meaty grip of the A200. All in all I do not regret getting a DSLR. You really should try it out. Maybe your next camera purchase will be a DSLR ! :bleh:

well sure DSLR is more fun,and i have used it and also had a nikon film SLR that i sold for before buying a sony H1 and later h5 ,but unless u have some good vitamin M u cant buy those quality lenses lenses,BTW which is that 100-200 lens is it a minolta lens?

Yup ! I use ONLY Minolta lenses. The colours, sharpness and bokeh are simply unbeatable at the throw away prices they sell at ! You cant get an equivalent lens (at such prices) on any system other than Sony in India (ok maybe Pentax).

Yup ! I use ONLY Minolta lenses. The colours, sharpness and bokeh are simply unbeatable at the throw away prices they sell at ! You cant get an equivalent lens (at such prices) on any system other than Sony in India (ok maybe Pentax).

BF1983 said:

Best of luck finding a Pentax camera here. Sucks!
I have 3-4 older lenses though, just waiting for some vitamin M for a new Pentax body.. love the K20D!

^^ If you dont mind second hand, someguy at jjmehta forums was selling his K10D. That is also an amazing camera - weather sealed, pentaprism viewfinder, built in anti shake etc.

^^ Oh he was selling it for 25k in Dec when I was thinking of getting it ! Didn't realise he increased the price by 10k !!!

Back