Storage Solutions SATA-II HD on SATA Port.

chezy

Disciple
I have to get a new HD soon but my mobo doesnt have a SATA-II interface and i'm not upgrading untill next year but I do want to get a SATA-II HD. Now I dont remember properly but I think there's a jumper that allows the SATA-II HD in SATA mode, is this possible and would it affect the HD in anyway.
Thanks for the replies.

Nope..doesn't affect the HDD as far as I know.. It will be restricted to SATA I speeds... I have a 300giga SATA II hdd and have done the same..

And is not required, AFAIK.

I have a Hitachi 500Gb Sata-II HD connected to my nForce3 (note 3, not 4 or 5) chipset SATA controller. It is detected as hot-pluggable, which my earlier drives were not.

No problems here.

sangram said:
And is not required, AFAIK.

I have a Hitachi 500Gb Sata-II HD connected to my nForce3 (note 3, not 4 or 5) chipset SATA controller. It is detected as hot-pluggable, which my earlier drives were not.

No problems here.

My HDD wouldn't work (get detected) if I didn't put the jumper!!

In Hitachi Drives,you can enable/disbale SATA II using "Feature Tool ",thts why it may have worked for sangram,for Seagate drives i think there is a Jumper.

Not sure about others.

Seagate HDDs come with the Sata 1.5 jumper in place (I have seen 2 HDDs both Seagate having that jumper restricting the Sata 3.0 mode). I had installed a 7200.10 HDD just as it came on the mobo's Sata 3.0 port and later I noticed the jumper and removed it... I got a substantial boost in benchmarks after that...

Back