Audio Satellites dead - Confused what to do now?

pratzgh1

Pratzgh1
Adept
Hey Guys,

I have a Logitech Z2300 with broken satellite speakers and another pair of Creative SBS xxx 2.1 with the same issue. I tried replacing the Z2300 satellites from a local shop but the quality was pathetic and I could not crank the volume over 30%. Accidentally, while cleaning the control pod nob was set at max and I happened to play a YouTube video. This resulted in another pair of Farhan Akhtar accent speakers.

Now I need to change the speakers but I absolutely love the bass on that Z2300 bass module. I need a pair of 2.0 speakers that can be used along with the Z2300 bass module.

The options I am confused between:
1. Local repair for both the sets and keep the volume in check
2. Buy a used pair of speakers and use its satellites.
3. Buy a pair of 2.0 speakers and pair them with these bass modules.

What would be the best option to go for?

Brainstorming,
Pratik :)

Where are you guys located?
I am using a pair of boston hiq drivers and together with the z2300 sub, they sound perfect!
you'll need to build some local boxes though

http://diyaudiocart.com/Boston-Acoustics-HQ48413P-8-inch-Hi-Q-Fullrange-Driver-4-Ohms-Pair

try your local big electronics area if they are available - you can them for 800 or so per pair, and probably you will have to go there to get a pair of boxes anyway

These are the same drivers used in this pair of 2L speakers

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/rethm/1.html

with the Z2300, you'll get that sort of sound for a fraction of the price :) Only problem is putting up with the bulky boxes

Last edited:
@greenhorn - I am from Navi Mumbai. Also, at 4 Ohms, these still do not match the Z2300 satellite impedance levels. They do seem large enough to handle that built-in DAC. How did you make the speaker shell? Also, where in Mumbai can such a thing be done?

@greenhorn - I am from Navi Mumbai. Also, at 4 Ohms, these still do not match the Z2300 satellite impedance levels. They do seem large enough to handle that built-in DAC. How did you make the speaker shell? Also, where in Mumbai can such a thing be done?

Those people who make the loud speakers for parties etc make new speaker boxes out of MDF or some particle wood.

make a pilgrimage to lamington road and go ask for shops that sell speakers for the philips or boston "hi q" speakers. The impedance is not really a big issue because the hiq's are massively more sensitive ( around 5dB more than the original drivers) and will need only 1/3rd the power. See if you can get the 8 ohm version and preferably the 25W (round shape), but its not a big deal if you can't. getting the 25W one is more important than getting 8 Ohms

look around some more to find a shop that has ready made cabinets for them

make a pilgrimage to lamington road and go ask for shops that sell speakers for the philips or boston "hi q" speakers. The impedance is not really a big issue because the hiq's are massively more sensitive ( around 5dB more than the original drivers) and will need only 1/3rd the power. See if you can get the 8 ohm version and preferably the 25W (round shape), but its not a big deal if you can't. getting the 25W one is more important than getting 8 Ohms

look around some more to find a shop that has ready made cabinets for them

If I do manage to get this done, will these speakers cause any interruptions on my LCD monitor? I will be keeping these speakers next to the monitor. How has your experience been? Can your setup play loud music?

these are not magnetically shielded, but I dont think it will create issues with an LCD monitor - these issues were with older CRT monitors. anyway the box will be fairly big and keep stuff at a fair distance from the magnets. as long as you are not planning to place a hard disk (or anything with an HDD) right on top of the speaker, it should not be an issue.

My setup is a music only setup with a turntable, analog tuner and bluetooth reciever going through a tube buffer and a vintage amp to these speakers

I have this issue with my Z5500D the satellites are screwed up.

Have you found any place in Navi Mumbai that does this?
Been busy at work all this while. I am still contemplating on options. I do wish to take a trip to Lamington road and explore my options.

Me too.... just dont know where exactly i need to ask for the matching satellites and what price i should expect.

Frankly speaking, I'm lazy or thoughtful enough to justify the amount of time, energy and fuel cost required to drive from Panvel carrying all the speaker components all the way to Lamington road. I would really like a local solution or something online.

Frankly speaking, I'm lazy or thoughtful enough to justify the amount of time, energy and fuel cost required to drive from Panvel carrying all the speaker components all the way to Lamington road. I would really like a local solution or something online.

Next to Lamington Road police station, there is a guy who does repair and is recommended, but for the reasons mentioned above!

Next to Lamington Road police station, there is a guy who does repair and is recommended, but for the reasons mentioned above!

I was going to make a trip to Lamington for some good thermal paste, an SSD and my speakers. Thought the trip was not worth it and got the SSD and thermal paste online from Prime. Now you put the doubt back in my head :D

Any name for the shop?? I may make the trip on Saturday if it isnt so freaking hot. How much would be the approx cost? I mean how much would be considered as reasonable price for a speaker repair?

I was going to make a trip to Lamington for some good thermal paste, an SSD and my speakers. Thought the trip was not worth it and got the SSD and thermal paste online from Prime. Now you put the doubt back in my head :D

Any name for the shop?? I may make the trip on Saturday if it isnt so freaking hot. How much would be the approx cost? I mean how much would be considered as reasonable price for a speaker repair?

If money is value, then suit your value based on your budget. If you do manage to find a good guy, ping me here. All the best. :)

Back