SBI multiple account issues

nRiTeCh

Skilled
***Seeking genuine answers here.
So don't suggest shifting bank or crapping SBI as this is not a hate thread for SBI haters so if you are one of them better stay away. (No I aint any fanboy either) ***

My aunt has 2 SBI accounts. One is almost 20yrs old from her native town, going fine no issues at all & all internet banking and other transnational accesses etc etc.

Last year she had to open another SBI savings bank account in Pune for her job prospects with after marriage changed name etc. ( she could had changed her name in her old a/c & use it but had to physically visit her town to do so and right now she is not in a state to travel due to long term medical issues)

Ok so while opening a new sbi a/c as well she ticked all options like online banking, sms alerts, any limitations etc.

Her new a/c got merged within Net banking of old a/c. And she can very well see both a/cs displayed and check balance etc.

upload_2019-1-29_18-16-15.png

Her salary is getting credited properly to her new a/c, problem arose when for the first time she tried to transact online after this new a/c.

While doing online payment using SBI NET Banking, she expected to show up both a/cs for selection but it only displayed her old a/c.

upload_2019-1-29_18-19-27.png

Now I don't know if this is the default behavior for only SBI or if this is some faulty error or if it is the same with all other banks with multiple a/c holders.

So need some clarifications on this from SBI or other bank users having multiple a/cs in their names.

She has already written to SBI today don't know what answers they will come up with.

Mine shows both accounts to choose from when transferring money via NEFT. I haven't done any merchant payment with it to make any purchases though. I use my IDBI Bank account for merchant payments and even that shows me a drop down menu to choose which account to make payment from

Mine shows both accounts to choose from when transferring money via NEFT. I haven't done any merchant payment with it to make any purchases though. I use my IDBI Bank account for merchant payments and even that shows me a drop down menu to choose which account to make payment from
I'm asking from payment sites such as amazon, flipkart etc. Do they show you both accounts when you choose netbanking option?

Last edited:
I'm asking from payment sites such as amazon, flipkart etc. Do they show you both accounts when you choose netbanking option?
Sorry. Never used with SBI. I always prefer to use my credit card for online purchases. Have used my IDBI account for such a payment and they always show me the option to choose which account. No reason why SBI wouldn't.

Sorry. Never used with SBI. I always prefer to use my credit card for online purchases. Have used my IDBI account for such a payment and they always show me the option to choose which account. No reason why SBI wouldn't.

This might not solve your aunt's problem but provide a workaround while SBI resolves the issue.

I have multiple a/c with ICICI. I have one UPI code per a/c. Instead of Net banking your aunt can use the UPI code of the corresponding a/c and do the transaction.

Or she can first transfer the money from the new account to the older account. It will only take a second.
Thats not a solution just a way to use the first a/c.
Practically both a/cs should get displayed while transacting on any sites.

***Seeking genuine answers here.
So don't suggest shifting bank or crapping SBI as this is not a hate thread for SBI haters so if you are one of them better stay away. (No I aint any fanboy either) ***

My aunt has 2 SBI accounts. One is almost 20yrs old from her native town, going fine no issues at all & all internet banking and other transnational accesses etc etc.

Last year she had to open another SBI savings bank account in Pune for her job prospects with after marriage changed name etc. ( she could had changed her name in her old a/c & use it but had to physically visit her town to do so and right now she is not in a state to travel due to long term medical issues)

Ok so while opening a new sbi a/c as well she ticked all options like online banking, sms alerts, any limitations etc.

Her new a/c got merged within Net banking of old a/c. And she can very well see both a/cs displayed and check balance etc.

View attachment 78580

Her salary is getting credited properly to her new a/c, problem arose when for the first time she tried to transact online after this new a/c.

While doing online payment using SBI NET Banking, she expected to show up both a/cs for selection but it only displayed her old a/c.

View attachment 78581

Now I don't know if this is the default behavior for only SBI or if this is some faulty error or if it is the same with all other banks with multiple a/c holders.

So need some clarifications on this from SBI or other bank users having multiple a/cs in their names.

She has already written to SBI today don't know what answers they will come up with.
I will goto local branch manager and get issue fixed, quickly.. in case I am not wrong..
In most case local people dont call ?

PERIOD.

Of course thats the last resort. As stated she is suffering from some ailment hence unable to step her foot outside her house. Uncle might visit the branch if needed that too only during weekends.

Just want to understand the scenario how it works in multi-a/c situations across various banks.

Thats not a solution just a way to use the first a/c.
Practically both a/cs should get displayed while transacting on any sites.
I know it's not a permanent solution, but it does save a trip to the bank, especially if they are ill at the moment. My bank doesn't show the option to choose accounts at an ATM. So I transfer the amount from the secondary account to primary account and withdraw using the ATM.
Check if the option to choose accounts is showing when using NEFT. If it is, then it is absurd that same choice isn't visible while making merchant payments as it definitely is for other banks, like IDBI in my case.

use UPI app such as Phonepe? link debit card of the other acc which she is not able to see to PhonePe and can transaction if it fails, it means she doesn't have transaction rights on the other account which SBI can solve easily if she writes to them again regarding this.

Simple Solution.
Login to the netbanking site, under profile you have to give full transaction rights to the new a/c no. (needs her profile password & OTP)
I don't remember the the correct menu choice, but it should be from right top menu. Give it a try, else I will confirm.

Simple Solution.
Login to the netbanking site, under profile you have to give full transaction rights to the new a/c no. (needs her profile password & OTP)
I don't remember the the correct menu choice, but it should be from right top menu. Give it a try, else I will confirm.
Have already tried this.
Thing is as said before in original post, her new account got merged with old account so netbanking login+profile password etc all is single. And no such option of providing privileges.

I know it's not a permanent solution, but it does save a trip to the bank, especially if they are ill at the moment. My bank doesn't show the option to choose accounts at an ATM. So I transfer the amount from the secondary account to primary account and withdraw using the ATM.
Check if the option to choose accounts is showing when using NEFT. If it is, then it is absurd that same choice isn't visible while making merchant payments as it definitely is for other banks, like IDBI in my case.
Thats true but an alternative for the situation. But otherwise it should work when you have full rights for both accounts.
For doing NEFT too it only shows old account sadly.
In short this new account displayed is only for checking balance with no real option to transact from it.

use UPI app such as Phonepe? link debit card of the other acc which she is not able to see to PhonePe and can transaction if it fails, it means she doesn't have transaction rights on the other account which SBI can solve easily if she writes to them again regarding this.
Will try this and have already written to sbi but they are yet to generate a ticket for the query which we receive via sms and email.
Will visit the branch to inquire with my uncle and her passbook etc if sbi fails to answer.

Why not just use Debit Card for online transactions?
Dude this is an alternative and pure ignorance on not caring how it should work normally.

Back