SBI sent wrong credit card

I was a SBI cc customer for more than 10 years but recently cancelled by ELITE card. I booked air tickets worth 2lacs on my credit card that I had to cancel due to some personal issues. Card statement was generated before cancellation. But cancellation refund ( around 1.8 lac) came before due date.

Now SBI expected full payment as per statement from me, without adjusting refund credited before due date. What it means, that I have to block 1.8 lacs with SBI card without any interest and use it on spends. Never had such issues with Citibank or ICICI.

I escalated matter to nodal officer, got the interest waived off and cancelled my card with them as a protest against their policies. Interestingly they haven’t mentioned it anywhere in their terms and conditions. Citibank has specifically mentioned that in case of merchant refunds it will be adjusted against dues but you need to pay minimum due amount(5%).

@bigbyte Was the refund credited before the statement generation date or after? If it was after statement generation, then it's the same for every Bank, you have to pay the entire amount. If it was before statement generation, then it's supposed to be adjusted

What happens in cases like above where somebody pays the 1.8 lacs, gets refunded in the next billing cycle BUT hasn't made purchases for that much amount to offset the refund ? Say they only spent 50k in that month, 30k in the next and so on ? Will it keep getting adjusted ?

This happened once with me, with my SBI card. The amount was around 45K though. Had spent the amount on some e-commerce purchase, and the statement got generated. But due to some issues with delivery, the order was cancelled and the amount refunded back to my card. But since the statement was already generated by the system, I had to pay the entire amount of 45k towards card balance. Once the refund reflected in my card, I could request them to credit the remaining amount back to my bank. And they did it promptly within a week's time.

So yeah, you can get a refund back. But you will have to pay the entire amount generated in the statement. I think this is the same policy for every other credit card company.

Check this for confirmation: https://www.sbicard.com/en/faq/credit-balance-refund.page

@bigbyte ICICI adjusts if refund is after statement generation? In my case, one of my orders worth 5k refunded by Amazon just before the due date was not considered as an adjustment and i was asked to pay the entire amount by ICICI. If Citi is different then please let us know

@bigbyte ICICI adjusts if refund is after statement generation? In my case, one of my orders worth 5k refunded by Amazon just before the due date was not considered as an adjustment and i was asked to pay the entire amount by ICICI. If Citi is different then please let us know

Doesn't ICICI specifically says on refund email that it is not considered a payment?

Yes, Citibank adjusts if refund is after statement generation but before due date. However you have to pay minimum amount due mentioned in statement. They have mentioned it in their TnC, need to dig it.

Edit: Found it.
Check section 13.2(j) , second illustration.

ICICI, though it clearly mentions that merchant refunds after statement generation won't be adjusted, in my case they never charged me interest when I paid only the amount remaining after refund.

SBI, is silent about this in it's TnC but charges interest.

Last edited:
In case of HDFC too, I have never faced this issue. Even if refund is after statement generation, it was adjusted and I only paid amount that was left after adjustment. Don't know if it is mentioned in their T&C or not, but I have done this so many times that I am 110% sure, they do adjust the refund amount without any issues

Sorry for Bumping up an old thread, interested to know outcome of this.
@Kilroyquasar Were you able to close or downgrade the card?
i am thinking of applying for an sbi card just as a backup and wondering if it's a bad idea.

hello.
yes, was able to close it, though not before multiple visits to their office. a good lady there helped me with it and it was because of her efforts that it was finally resolved; else it could've probably remained just 'chakkar ghumyo re' for me...!

Hello!

a little more than a month ago i had applied for a 'simply click' CC via an agent. he wrote the same in front of me in the application, as well as advised me twice to reply with the same name card during verification call.

i received the verification call the next day. was asked what card you want. i replied 'simply click'. after that i got 3 more verification calls over a period of a week or more. i recall never being asked my choice of CC in these instances. fast forward about 10 days or so. i received a box from SBI. didn't open for 2-3 days as was caught up in some work and chores. when i did, found it was a different card than requested - 'signature' card. joining fee is 5k (upon payment of which you're given an equal amt of GV of Jabong, Shoppers Stop, etc.), & an annual fee of 5k. i immediately called up the helpline, and they registered my complaint as 'request for downgrade' (to my earlier choice of card). after some days i again started receiving some verification calls for don't know what. that's when i got to know that my request had been closed. i then again filed a complaint, which's still under process.

checking the web i saw a couple of similar complaints, with the status of their complaints too stuck at 'in process' for 20 days or more. i don't think this complaint thing would help.

i then contacted the agent. he was helpful. gave me no.s of 2 people, as well as the address of SBI credit-cards division's office or something at vashi (yet to go there). told me to either talk to the people at the no.s given (didn't help), or better go to the office directly and raise complaint there, or even file a police complaint.

has any of you here faced such an issue earlier? if yes, what was your course of action taken and outcome? i obviously haven't used the card, but have read one user's short account who wrote that SBI asked him to pay joining fee for deactivating his account (which is absurd). i won't be doing such a thing if asked. since i have not given them in writing to provide me with a 'signature' card, am hopeful this won't affect my CIBIL rating if it comes to that.

what would you suggest?

TIA!

P.S. - i have a savings account with SBI, but its very old, and i didnt use it since/after 2009. my salary-acct is with HDFC and i use CC & DC of that only.

P.S. 2 - while sifting through my phone's inbox 2 days back, i found an old SMS from SBI which read 'thanks for verification.......your SIGNATURE CARD would be delivered to you within 11 days.' my fault that i didn't pay attention to this SMS earlier, else could've rejected the courier.
i'll call the agent again tomorrow for any proof of my application he might have.
Hii. I am facing the same issue. I am really hoping that you would reply here.
I applied for simply click and they approved pulse credit card. Fees is 1799. I've been sending mails and calling various helpline numbers. But none of them have been helpful so far.
Good thing is I haven't accepted the credit card courier. Yet they have generated the statement and it's impacting my cibil.
There's no way for me to make the payment since I don't even have the credit card. Yet they are sending me reminders. And even the representative who had approached me for the card has stopped receiving my calls after applying. They are not at all helpful.

Can you tell me what happened with you in this case. And how did you manage to avoid these charges and get rid of the wrong card. ?

Looking forward for your reply.

I applied for simply click and they approved pulse credit card. Fees is 1799. I've been sending mails and calling various helpline numbers. But none of them have been helpful so far.
Good thing is I haven't accepted the credit card courier. Yet they have generated the statement and it's impacting my cibil.
There's no way for me to make the payment since I don't even have the credit card. Yet they are sending me reminders. And even the representative who had approached me for the card has stopped receiving my calls after applying. They are not at all helpful.

Can you tell me what happened with you in this case. And how did you manage to avoid these charges and get rid of the wrong card. ?

PM me. Happened with me on Dec 2021. Applied for Simply Click and they sent BPCL Card. Fought about a month or so. They finally sent a Simply Click card.

Promptly lodge a complaint at
Pgportal.gov.in
Don't waste even a minute and explain everything
They ll resolve it on a priority.
Please select the ministry while lodging the compliant carefully.

SBI did the same thing to me. Back in June, I also applied for simplyclick, but SBI sent me SBI PRIME card with annual fee of 3000/-
I talked to cc 2-3 times, and they all said that they can't downgrade my card to simpliclick before first month statement. They suggested that I'll have to pay joining fee of 2999+ gst which will be reversed on cc account on my simpliclick card.
I did the same and assumed that my 3k were as good as gone.
But they were right. After first month of Prime cc, I requested them to downgrade and paid the 3k bill.
Next month When I got my simpliclick statement, it had 3k reversed on it.
I didn't expect this from SBI, but was saved.

Seems simplyclick is just some gimmick to harass or attract customers. Btw whats so spl about this simplyclick?

From the word SimplyCLICK what I can guess is "One simply clicks for simplyclick and falls in their trap with just one click !"

SBI wins and you get a long term headache/ heart attack etc..

SimplyCLICK: Naam me hi zol hai...jago grahak jago! :grin: Raed and understand the words properly..

Last edited:
Promptly lodge a complaint at
Pgportal.gov.in
Don't waste even a minute and explain everything
They ll resolve it on a priority.
Please select the ministry while lodging the compliant carefully.
Any idea which ministry should I choose while raising e-commerce related complaints like missing wallet balance, no refund or damaged product sent?

hi. dont recall everything, but someone (either sbi cc or the agent through whom i had got the card) told me about a division/office of theirs (which i found out to be their repossession-kind of deptt.) in mumbai, and a lady-officer there who then finally helped me with the issue. iirc no charges levied/paid.

from the other posts it now looks that there are more avenues available for assistance. try them...all the best!

Back