SBI sent wrong credit card

Kilroyquasar

4 seconds, inhale; 4 seconds, exhale.
Skilled
Hello!

a little more than a month ago i had applied for a 'simply click' CC via an agent. he wrote the same in front of me in the application, as well as advised me twice to reply with the same name card during verification call.

i received the verification call the next day. was asked what card you want. i replied 'simply click'. after that i got 3 more verification calls over a period of a week or more. i recall never being asked my choice of CC in these instances. fast forward about 10 days or so. i received a box from SBI. didn't open for 2-3 days as was caught up in some work and chores. when i did, found it was a different card than requested - 'signature' card. joining fee is 5k (upon payment of which you're given an equal amt of GV of Jabong, Shoppers Stop, etc.), & an annual fee of 5k. i immediately called up the helpline, and they registered my complaint as 'request for downgrade' (to my earlier choice of card). after some days i again started receiving some verification calls for don't know what. that's when i got to know that my request had been closed. i then again filed a complaint, which's still under process.

checking the web i saw a couple of similar complaints, with the status of their complaints too stuck at 'in process' for 20 days or more. i don't think this complaint thing would help.

i then contacted the agent. he was helpful. gave me no.s of 2 people, as well as the address of SBI credit-cards division's office or something at vashi (yet to go there). told me to either talk to the people at the no.s given (didn't help), or better go to the office directly and raise complaint there, or even file a police complaint.

has any of you here faced such an issue earlier? if yes, what was your course of action taken and outcome? i obviously haven't used the card, but have read one user's short account who wrote that SBI asked him to pay joining fee for deactivating his account (which is absurd). i won't be doing such a thing if asked. since i have not given them in writing to provide me with a 'signature' card, am hopeful this won't affect my CIBIL rating if it comes to that.

what would you suggest?

TIA!

P.S. - i have a savings account with SBI, but its very old, and i didnt use it since/after 2009. my salary-acct is with HDFC and i use CC & DC of that only.

P.S. 2 - while sifting through my phone's inbox 2 days back, i found an old SMS from SBI which read 'thanks for verification.......your SIGNATURE CARD would be delivered to you within 11 days.' my fault that i didn't pay attention to this SMS earlier, else could've rejected the courier.
i'll call the agent again tomorrow for any proof of my application he might have.

Mistake# 1: You applied for an SBI card
Mistake# 2: You made mistake# 1

Get rid of the SBI card. Even though you haven't activated the card, get in writing from SBI that there are no outstanding dues from your side and the card is closed. Otherwise it's going to affect your CIBIL score, if SBI keeps the card in 'open' status and charges interest on your joining fees.

Get the card from any private bank. 1st year is usually free. Later on you can get the fees waived off against your yearly purchases.

thanks. that will be the objective so far SBI is concerned. looks like they scheme like this in a desperate bid to compensate for the NPAs incurred by giving free pass to chhota-bada mallyas of the country.

Sorry for Bumping up an old thread, interested to know outcome of this.
@Kilroyquasar Were you able to close or downgrade the card?
i am thinking of applying for an sbi card just as a backup and wondering if it's a bad idea.

btw, that sbi signature card is awesome. I believe you have the elite card? It get's you 12 monthy tickets , and best benefit is, it charges 1.9% foreign markup amoung host of many other benefits.

Sorry for Bumping up an old thread, interested to know outcome of this.
@Kilroyquasar Were you able to close or downgrade the card?
i am thinking of applying for an sbi card just as a backup and wondering if it's a bad idea.

Apply for SBI Ola Card if you use Ola heavily.

If you want free tickets, there is some offer with RBL which might be better

In my company, highest number of frauds are reported for SBI CC.
Its an ecom company.

That's quite possibly because they have 2x the number of cards in circulation compared to their nearest competitor.

Signature/Elite card is pretty awesome btw - I have it since last 7-8 years and have gotten lots of benefits thanks to their bonus points. My PS4 was free, a 1070 GPU was free, a bunch of air tickets were free - you get the drift.

Also if you spend more than 5L a year, the 5000 fees is waived. I always get it back at the end of the FY.

Also if you spend more than 5L a year, the 5000 fees is waived. I always get it back at the end of the FY.

I believe it is 8L not 5L. My brother had to close his card as his usage was 6L and SBI CC said he will be charged so he closed the card and they never mentioned 5L , they said 8L.

I believe it is 8L not 5L. My brother had to close his card as his usage was 6L and SBI CC said he will be charged so he closed the card and they never mentioned 5L , they said 8L.
Might be the case - I haven't followed things so precisely. I haven't been charged a single rupee after the initial 5000.

That is contrary to the info I recieved. For the Elite, they are not waiving it off, even though the spends on my office collegue card came to 14L

How can SBI send a Visa Platinum card without my consent? A week back I received a packet from SBI with the visa Platinum card for which I never applied. I called up the bank and was told that based on my spending and credit score they have sent this card and there is no annual fees for that. I have an old SBI savings account which I operate once in a while and I am not sure based on that if they can send a card without my consent. I'm never comfortable with SBI and should I cancel this card?

How can SBI send a Visa Platinum card without my consent? A week back I received a packet from SBI with the visa Platinum card for which I never applied. I called up the bank and was told that based on my spending and credit score they have sent this card and there is no annual fees for that. I have an old SBI savings account which I operate once in a while and I am not sure based on that if they can send a card without my consent. I'm never comfortable with SBI and should I cancel this card?
if there is no fee, what's the harm really. SBI has tons of offers in Zomato, swiggy, Amazon and flipkart.

if there is no fee, what's the harm really. SBI has tons of offers in Zomato, swiggy, Amazon and flipkart.
Yes, there is no fee but I'm sure they will definitely come up with a fee after a year but I am more concerned that they send out CC's without my consent.

Yes, there is no fee but I'm sure they will definitely come up with a fee after a year but I am more concerned that they send out CC's without my consent.
Firstly SBI in your life will never offer any lifetime free card. First yr free/waive off is just normal as like with other banks.
Take it in writing/email if it really is a lifetime free card which I highly doubt 200% it isn't.
Last thing, its always wise to reject anything in financial terms if it was done without your consent.

Take it in writing/email if it really is a lifetime free card.

This!

Btw I find hard to believe they sent you the card without consent. May be you booked a FD and checked "need card with it" option perhaps ? Or may be you might be in HNWI catagory so they sent you the card as courtesy?

Back