OC & Modding Scratch Open Frame Case Build

rakesh_sharma23

Do It Yourself
Adept
Scratch Open Frame Case Build

Hello to all

Time for another case build. It has been more than a year passed; I made my last Scratch case build the Home Media Server (Small Square).

Home Media Server (Small Square)

Since then was busy in other stuff. But now with launch of the Intel’s new Processor SKYLAKE and personally reviewing one, I feel this is the best time for a new build.

Already having few PC builds, I am thinking for making a small size case.. no not ITX.. mATX form factor this time. Something different this time.. after many thoughts I have decided to make a mATX Open Frame case..

Inspiration of the build in IN-WIN D-frame Mini.. It’s an ITX form factor case .
001.jpg

Build Log

Basic idea and layout will be as following..
002.jpg

003.jpg

Instead of making frame from steel pipes, I will be using light weight and hard PVC pipes plastic welded together to form base frame structure.

Testing of PVC joints.

004.jpg

After two days of effort base frame is ready.

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Frame is rigid and strong, but will be sending for plastic welding by this week end.

Thanks for watching … stay tuned for more updates.

try Oneplus color scheme and publish it to the Oneplus team. They might feature it on their fan pages. Just saying.

Looks great rakesh and holy shit you drop tested that from the first floor. Anyways, looking at that pic I was wondering if you kept space for the PSU wiring and also have you accounted for the tubing stiffness for the water cooler because it may get in the way.

R4DpusSl.jpg

Thanks RD274,

No worry bro every thing is planned .. i will be moding cooler and PSU too..[DOUBLEPOST=1439371369][/DOUBLEPOST]Drop test was important, as i was worried about the pipes joint....

Hey Rakesh, Superb job on the frame. But paint job seems to not be very good. ANy chances of you sandpapering it and redoing it so that its more even. Seeing a lot of bumps and bubbles.

Hey Mav2000 how are you man.. long time.. huu
Yes paint work is not that good.. but this is the best i can do it with brush.. I dont want to get it painted by someone else or professional spray painting .. You know i am kind of a crazy DIY type of person..

Hey Mav2000 how are you man.. long time.. huu
Yes paint work is not that good.. but this is the best i can do it with brush.. I dont want to get it painted by someone else or professional spray painting .. You know i am kind of a crazy DIY type of person..

Bro for paint u can use carbon fibre/gloss vinyl sells for 100-200rs per sheet If it bothers u a lot

And a question form where did u buy/Strip the mobo tray?

I liked your style making big out of small size!

Last edited:
Agreed. Whole project looks amazing but paint job is shoddy.

Why not install vinyls or maybe use spray paints which come in small cans? Costs 200 bucks. I'd reckon you'll need 2~3 cans at the most.

Vinyl has an issue that it will start peeling after some usage. Specially the cheap stuff, so would not recommend that. I would recommend a proper spray paint job. Since you are doing the primer, sandpapering it properly and then spray painting should look much better and more uniform.

Vinyl has an issue that it will start peeling after some usage. Specially the cheap stuff, so would not recommend that. I would recommend a proper spray paint job. Since you are doing the primer, sandpapering it properly and then spray painting should look much better and more uniform.

I dont agree completely ,
Cheap vinyl does start peeling off but most of decent price once dont

Last edited:
I dont agree completely ,
Cheap vinyl does start peeling off but most of decent price once dont

Try and use Vinyl, specially around rounded areas...even 3M will start to peel after a while. If its a straight plane, then Vinyl usually wont peel. But on rounded applications, chances are high.

Back