Storage Solutions Seagate 2 TB out of warranty with SMART errors - What to do ?

buBleZ

Skilled
I have a seagate 2TB internal HDD bought in December 2012 which is out of warranty. Recently it has SMART errors related to relocated sector count, bad sector count . Does Seagate do repair with a charge ? Is there anyway to fix this HDD ?

Unfortunately yes, that's the only solution. Still you can contact Seagate CC (do they have one?) and ask if they will service the HDD with a charge.

And for future reference, do not ever buy a Seagate.

And for future reference, do not ever buy a Seagate.

That's pretty wrong. Seagate does make good drives. I myselves using 4 Seagate drives along with 1 WD, 1 Hitachi and 1 Toshiba. It all depends on how to treat your drives and how much you care for them.
Never had any issues with either hdds.
TOUCHWOOD!

With Seagate going for HDD replacement had become an annual ritual for me so I have switched to WD. Using a WD purple 2TB internal on desktop as Seagate has scared me that badly.

I am curious. Who buys bad hard drives?
Its not a bad drive right now. Every drive has some reserved sectors for relocating bad ones. Right now it has done that right now and coping with the bad sectors. Who knows this drive might go on to work for few more years or may be it will die next day. But to be on the safe side, better to sell it off while its alive. Ofcourse after informing the prospective customer and offering a handsome discount.

With a bit of time, you can create partitions to work around the bad sectors. I have used such a drive for quite sometime - not for mission critical stuff though, but for downloads on a GFH.

All: Thanks for your inputs. To give an update the number of bad sectors increased exponentially day by day . I got the back-up done before this.

Back