Storage Solutions Seagate 4tb game drive and 4tb backup plus

P.Ping Tom

Disciple
Hi all,

I'm looking for an external storage solution to my laptop as I have a lot of data from other hard drives that I wanna consolidate. I am NOT a gamer, purely looking for something from a reliability point of view. These are the two external hdd's I've picked out and need your help choosing -

With regards to the PS4 game drive, can it be used purely as a storage/backup drive. I'm asking because since it's designed for gaming, I'm just assuming it's more reliable, but I really don't know. Looking to buy one of these on Amazon asap, any help/input will be much appreciated.

Gracias!

Hello,

Good question. A drive that is marketed for gaming does not mean that it will not work well for saving your non gaming data. In the end, if your gaming or not you still will be saving data on the drive. So you are safe to save your data on one of those drives.

Also keep in mind that the he conventional wisdom by tech experts on backups is known as the 3-2-1 method. Basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose.
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for example).
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

Good question. A drive that is marketed for gaming does not mean that it will not work well for saving your non gaming data. In the end, if your gaming or not you still will be saving data on the drive. So you are safe to save your data on one of those drives.

Also keep in mind that the he conventional wisdom by tech experts on backups is known as the 3-2-1 method. Basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose.
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for example).
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.

Hope this helps.

Most definitely! Great advice - thank you! :)
Post automatically merged:

Hi all,

I'm looking for an external storage solution to my laptop as I have a lot of data from other hard drives that I wanna consolidate. I am NOT a gamer, purely looking for something from a reliability point of view. These are the two external hdd's I've picked out and need your help choosing -

With regards to the PS4 game drive, can it be used purely as a storage/backup drive. I'm asking because since it's designed for gaming, I'm just assuming it's more reliable, but I really don't know. Looking to buy one of these on Amazon asap, any help/input will be much appreciated.

Gracias!

@seagate_surfer One more question. I bought the Seagate Backup Plus version, and the drive is formatted as exFAT. Do I need to reformat it to NTFS? iIm using Windows 10 Home (64 bit). Much thanks!

Last edited:
Most definitely! Great advice - thank you! :)
Post automatically merged:

@seagate_surfer One more question. I bought the Seagate Backup Plus version, and the drive is formatted as exFAT. Do I need to reformat it to NTFS? iIm using Windows 10 Home (64 bit). Much thanks!

Hello there,

Yes, it is a good idea to format it to NTFS. (Windows based) exFAT is more for other operating systems.

Back