Seagate Dockstar Discussion and Tutorial Thread

Ahh I need latest kernel and packages.

I just hacked Seagate Goflex Home + Creative XFI 5.1 USB into internet radio ;) . There are some glitches in sound quality some time. I would like to check if the kernel takes care of it.

reviving this thread instead of creating a new one.

have a seagate goflex home with me. recently (since 2-3 weeks) started learning about using debian and allied on it. my dock was graciously set-up and configured with debian for ready use by FM dheerajjotwani earlier. being a linux neophyte, decided to try my hand in learning and setting up the dock for myself a couple of weeks back, using a 'test flash-drive' (and not the originally configured flash-drive set up for me by dj sire). with patient & immense assistance from him as well as a member of the doozan forum (none other than 'bodhi') & a lot of info-hunting across the web, i have been able to do the following:

- use scripts to download debian squeeze and wheezy (accompanied by some errors and subsequent troubleshooting)
- use readymade debian rootfs & img
- installing/updating rescue system
- updating uboot using script as well as using latest uboot image
- installing & configuring various packages like samba, webmin, deluge, logitech media server (and more to add)
- setting up netcat/netconsole
- mounting HDDs
- and a lot of hunting to troubleshoot errors!

am making notes on what all i am doing/have done. hope to update this thread with posts regarding the dock, errors, troubleshooting, discussing, anything. if anyone of you here has goflex home/net and is a newbie like me who wishes to try his hand at learning/fiddling with this stuff, please feel free to post here and discuss. got a lot to learn and test.

reviving this thread instead of creating a new one.

have a seagate goflex home with me. recently (since 2-3 weeks) started learning about using debian and allied on it. my dock was graciously set-up and configured with debian for ready use by FM dheerajjotwani earlier. being a linux neophyte, decided to try my hand in learning and setting up the dock for myself a couple of weeks back, using a 'test flash-drive' (and not the originally configured flash-drive set up for me by dj sire). with patient & immense assistance from him as well as a member of the doozan forum (none other than 'bodhi') & a lot of info-hunting across the web, i have been able to do the following:

- use scripts to download debian squeeze and wheezy (accompanied by some errors and subsequent troubleshooting)
- use readymade debian rootfs & img
- installing/updating rescue system
- updating uboot using script as well as using latest uboot image
- installing & configuring various packages like samba, webmin, deluge, logitech media server (and more to add)
- setting up netcat/netconsole
- mounting HDDs
- and a lot of hunting to troubleshoot errors!

am making notes on what all i am doing/have done. hope to update this thread with posts regarding the dock, errors, troubleshooting, discussing, anything. if anyone of you here has goflex home/net and is a newbie like me who wishes to try his hand at learning/fiddling with this stuff, please feel free to post here and discuss. got a lot to learn and test.
I'm new owner of GoFlex Net with stock firmware. SSH access enabled.
I've already read a lot of posts at http://forum.doozan.com
and here
and here.
I don't need to have the latest u-boot and latest kernel
A Jeff's&Carmichaels' 2012 u-boot version (able to boot 2.6.37 2.6.38)
compiled 2.6.37 or 38 Debian Squeeze kernel
Two required features (packages): sftp-server and iscsi-target
one more feature: samba (in case i have a few files to download/upload and no client available to connect to GoFlex Net SFTP or target.
I can use GoFlex eSATA cable with GoFlex Pro ultraportable to directly plug to my computer eSATA/USB and upload/download files
It's hard to find instructions from 2012-2013 area still working with no dead links and already compiled kernel.
My first goal is to update uBoot with the minimum required version been able to later boot Squeeze kernel from USB pen
and keep Pogoplug service active (samba on my LAN) for the time beeing.

Last edited:
Just would like to add - copying from a server with Windows RAID 1 to the drive, I am getting only ~ 30MBps. This is a 4TB WD Purple sitting on the GFH - planning to make it a NFS share for NVR.

Back