Search help

sri_rng

Adept
Hi,

What is tbe best way to implement a search engine with the following features.

1.Should accept search queries with a check box as a filter (like in iptorrents)
2.Should be easy to implement and free.

what I am looking is one wherein we specify some features say of a mobile phone and it selects the phones based on the features we have selected..

I should be able to update the contents (like add more mobiles or add its features)..

Preferably in PHP..

I guess its more like a DB request and it need not index pages.. How do I implement this? please help.

Yes! you are right! you have to implement search engine using sql queries and there would be no index pages kinda thing. Here you are!

First you need to list out the standard features/attributes of any mobile which you gonna display on your webpage. For example Mobile company, Model number, Screen Size, Colour depth, Onboard memory, Megapixels and so on. Then create a table for storing these attributes. Next create a webpage with which you can enter values to the table. Next create a page for searching mobile phone , add sql query to select all mobile from table based on user selected values and show the result dynamically on another page in the form list or grid. Thats it.

Note:-As some attributes have distinct values; you can create combo box for them. Example color depth has values monocrome, 4K, 65K, 262K,and 16 Million. So you can create a combo box because storing and searching predefined values are better than arbitrary values. For other arbritary values you have to use textbox.
The page with which you store values to the database and the Search page have similar design. So you can simply copy and rename the first page to create the Search page.

Back