PC Peripherals SeaSonic S12 II 620W - RMA Possible ? EDIT: Yes

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
Hello folks,

Since January 2012, I am using Kingston V100 64GB SSD along with SeaSonic S12 II 620WPSU. Till today it was running properly. However today evening when I started my PC burning smell coming out; within couple of seconds there were fumes out of my cabinet. Immediately I shut down the mains and checked my CPU. I could found my SSD power port burnt along with some black-ish ash on SATA connector. I checked all other power cables of PSU and all are fine except one connected to SSD.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407692852.814271.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407692821.967395.jpg

Above are pics of my current situation with SSD and PSU. I have not turned my machine ON again as I am afraid of damaging any other components. Will Tirupati entertain warranty on this ? Do share your experience. I am grossly worried right now.

Damn that sucks, SATA power connectors are kinda flaky this way :(

Yes tirupati should honour warranty, since the short-circuit/over-current protection did not kick in.

I have had a few components burn out on me (HDMI ports during lightning strikes are notorious for this), the manufacturers always refuse warranty saying burnt component.

Your PSU will get covered under warranty, but its a definite no for the SSD.

Tough luck mate :( , that too from Seasonic - I use it too, thought they made quality components.

Thanks @Crazy_Eddy @JMP

SSD not being entertained warranty is kinda ohk for me at this moment. My main fear is about PSU. Since SATA Power cable is burnt and hence physically damaged; won't they refuse warranty ?

Also does Tirupati have any centre in Mumbai or I need to ship it to Kolkata ?

Last edited:
That looks bad. Can anyone suggest a root cause looking at the pins where the burn has happened?

Update: Tirupati have denied RMA for the PSU with reason that burnt power supply is not covered under warranty.

Now this is trivial as protection circuit in PSU did not trigger to stop the additional current passing through. :mad: What are my options further ?

Tagging @Crazy_Eddy

EDIT: Can I get my PSU inspected at-least from somewhere ?

Last edited:
I have not written about protection circuit not triggering. I will reply to mail received keeping seasonic in loop and mentioning about protection circuit thingy.

That looks bad. Can anyone suggest a root cause looking at the pins where the burn has happened?
The connector has burnt around the orange/red wires which are the 3.3v/5v rails - which are the voltages mainly used for SSD drives. Either there was a short circuit inside the controller which suddenly drew a lot of current on those rails, or the connector was loose and since the terminals are very close to each other, they could've overlapped and shorted out.

I fear the SCP/OCP might be restricted to the 12V rails alone. Unfortunately cannot find any reviews which have tested the S12II's 3.3v/5v rail protection.

Thats one hell of a tragic burn!!:arghh: Dint expect something like this from a brand like Seasonic.:wideyed: But then its all electronics game, anything can happen from any brand.

Tirupati should definitely make a replacement as the psu itself is clearly at fault. Seasonic 'll definitely assist you and might direct tirupati for the replacement.

But both the parties might question on why only the rail towards ssd caused the burn and why not on the other components???:blackeye: So they might even blame the ssd just to hesitate on the part of replacement. Though this shouldnt happen if seasonic really cares for its brand.

Good luck for the replacement... keep updating what they say.

I have mailed them again with mentioning about over current protection and also have added Seasonic id given in the loop. Let see what they have to say. At this moment I am considering it dead asset.

So it is almost 36 hours I have sent them last mail. They have not replied to mail. Should I mail them again asking for update ?

Where can I get my PSU tested ?

Yes, ofcourse you sent a reminder notification for your previous mail. You can check your psu @ lammy at those centres which repair psus, monitors etc stuff. One of them is located on the exact lane where rime sue to reside couple of years back. Had repaired 3 generic psus at that time and they are still working like a charm. ;)

They'll definitely help you but make sure they dont tamper the seal of seasonic on it else forget warranty. But yes they'll help you test it using the multimeter or some other device they may have. Might charge you roughly 100-300 bucks not sure though but nobody works for free right??:greedy:

^^I want to get it checked from some reputed/trust-able one. At this moment I am grossly confused what next if it is final that PSU could not be RMA-ed ? I m not keen on forking over another 11K (6K for PSU+5K for SSD) on this machine. Moreover a fear have taken place in my mind that my own assembled rig will be resistant to such unfortunate events or not:coldsweat:; though I know nothing in my hand in such case. I am using my machine with APC 1.1KVA UPS to avoid any surges or damages due to power cut.

Sometimes I could not digest that why this shit happened to me while using a very good PSU while my cousin using EL-Cheapo PSU never faced such thing. (P.S.: I am aware about importance of a PSU in a system) :cry::cry:

With an UPS as well if you faced this issue then what more should we trust now?:banghead: Coz UPS provides stable power. First I though may be some over-flow current shit happened at your place hence the accident but now even after using an ups if such things are happening then I'm scared where should we head from here???:(

There is no reply from them in almost a day after I sent a reminder mail; looks hope needs to be scrapped out. [emoji174]

Update:
I have got a reply from Tirupati again stating same generic line about no warranty for burnt piece. The person replying to the mail does not seem to even bother about my explanation about over current protection circuit thing. Mails just start with Dear Sir/Madam; can't they even start with Hi xyz or Hello xyz. [emoji35][emoji35]

No reply from Seasonic support. [emoji35]

As feared, both tirupati and seasonic are running away or and turning a blind eye to this issue.
If its in seasonic policy then we cant do anything unless they mention burn-proof warranty etc.

I've pmed you, go through that and test your psu. Hope all comes good!!

Finally, give your psu for a thorough testing to mentioned centre of if there are more around. Request them to change your damaged rail as just replacing the sata power connector wont do any good and it may still work with fear in your mind. So get your damaged rail replaced with some good quality (we cant expect military quality components here but something good) only after a through check as may be something like a capacitor etc. might have busted/ leaked as well or transistor. So hope for the best. At least your psu will be back in working condition with peace of mind.

BTW ask those guys to test your psu for some time or a day (they do that) to be cocksure.[DOUBLEPOST=1408019699][/DOUBLEPOST]Meanwhile...

Burnt PSU wires- Seasonic X850

New Seasonic X 750 burn all my HDD, why?

Are your Seasonic cables melting?

Last edited:
PM me your email ID. Had mailed Seasonic support a couple of days back clarifying if there is SCP/OCP on the 3.3v and 5v rails for the S12II. Received a reply stating that there's no OCP, but there is SCP (although they didn't confirm if they were talking about the 3.3v and 5v rails). Can forward the mail on to you, so you can argue your case. In your case it most likely would be a short-circuit (since an over-current situation would've fried the SSD controller first), so it should apply.

A UPS couldn't have helped this issue, since this wasn't any problem on the primary side, but on the secondary side. The cable issues mentioned above look to be a PCI-e cable issue, not a SATA cable issue.

I have mailed Seasonic support today morning along with fact from your mail. The second reply which I got was from Tirupati. Though I had sent mail to Tirupati and CC to Seasonic; person replying does not even have common sense to click Reply All instead of just Reply. This is first time I need to deal with Tirupati for after sales service - had never expected it will be lacking quality/courtesy to such basic extent :(

Back