Selling my 2009 Honda Civic 1.8 SMT - how much to expect?

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
I'm looking to sell my silver colour Honda Civic 1.8 S-MT which I bought new in October 2009 for Rs. 13.5 lakhs all inclusive in Pune by paying full price via Cheque - no loan/hypothecation business!

It has currently done only around 30,000 KMs on the odometer. I only use it for office commute and weekend shopping etc. Never taken it outside Pune for long drives etc. It has a new Bosch battery and I am going to replace the original Michelin MXV8 tires with new Michelin 3ST tires next weekend. Also, the free airbag replacement (due to recall) I'm going to get done next weekend as well at the original dealership from where I bought it. No modifications etc except I added a small detachable JBL subwoofer in the back seat (yes, not in the boot) with a Sony amplifier under the front passenger seat.

What price can I expect for it if I sell it this year and what price would it be next year at 35,000 KMs driven? Bought this car in Pune and I am located in Pune and the car is as good as sparkling new!

@Chaos @Crazy_Eddy etc? Any ideas?

Cheers,
Vishal

carwale.com is showing it as just over 3.5 l - what is that amount not right to expect if I do a direct deal? remember it is very low mileage on the odo :)[DOUBLEPOST=1500179419][/DOUBLEPOST]Even at 3.5 l , it does not make sense for me to sell it, so I guess I will keep it :D

carwale.com is showing it as just over 3.5 l - what is that amount not right to expect if I do a direct deal? remember it is very low mileage on the odo :)[DOUBLEPOST=1500179419][/DOUBLEPOST]Even at 3.5 l , it does not make sense for me to sell it, so I guess I will keep it :D
Next car of this level will come at what price?

Compare and then decide

If your vehicle is in good condition AND you love it, better to hold on to it. Thumb rule...

I wouldn't mind owning a civic, but no parking :-( One of the best modern cars in india

2.5 - 3 is what you can expect to be honest, just as Chaos & the others recommended. Frankly if there was a choice i'd say just keep it. It's a nice reasonably no hassle car and you've barely done much on it. The trouble is there are much newer cars with more equipment available in the used car market these days so beauties like the Civic have really fallen hard on resale value

Dear fake SBI employee :p (Kidding).. kind post pics of your car.. I know a friend in Pune, Who could be interested in a Sedan vehicle. Max 3L

Interior and Exterior pics please.

lol yeah I was expecting 6-7 l for it before you people shattered my dreams.

i will keep it haha. My baby. I'll dig out some old pics i took when it was new...[DOUBLEPOST=1500237417][/DOUBLEPOST]
Interior and Exterior pics please.

Here ya go: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jkRMvlitbwKQmnl13

It basically looks and shines the same as it was brand new haha. I took these pics almost 8 years ago in October 2009, just imagine![DOUBLEPOST=1500237573][/DOUBLEPOST]And here is a blog post I had written back then when I was fully excited about getting my new car: https://vagus.wordpress.com/2009/10/24/it-drives-me/

Last edited:
It's a great car, but its resale value has fallen. A year or two back, I was thinking of getting a car to replace my old M800, but was getting peanuts for it :(

The 2010 onward models fetch marginally higher resale prices as also the VMT specs. All in all though we're talking probably a 50/75k upside for those so it's really not bothering about.

keep it as long as you can, unless you wanna just unlock whatever residual value it has and just put it towards a new purchase or invest the proceeds.

I was wondering about that. Do the civic ATs have a lot of long term maintenance costs?

SMT VMT are manuals. The AT was only available in V trim iirc.

Although I never owned an AT personally, knowing people who do, none of them had any unusual experiences with the AT. From what I know even through the community I think the Civic AT unit was a pretty reliable unit. The engine and gearbox setup in fact was rather specifically focused on smooth efficient driving experience. One downside of that was the engine on the India spec Civics hardly had any significant potential to be tuned for performance.

An old member here has a turbo'ed civic that is doing close to 200HP at the wheel reasonably reliably on the same R18 block.

Yeah, I know about that project, saw that on T bhp too if I'm not mistaken. That was one serious investment that pushed the civic engine.. doubt many would go that far too get it to unlock so much.

I for sure wouldn't bother to use the Civic as a base to push. A suitable second hand Laura though ( or go that matter an Esteem? Lol) would lend themselves much better no? I read Swift's have been souped up too without much pain?

SMT VMT are manuals. The AT was only available in V trim iirc.

Although I never owned an AT personally, knowing people who do, none of them had any unusual experiences with the AT. From what I know even through the community I think the Civic AT unit was a pretty reliable unit. The engine and gearbox setup in fact was rather specifically focused on smooth efficient driving experience. One downside of that was the engine on the India spec Civics hardly had any significant potential to be tuned for performance.

An uncle has a city TC AT and another has a Jazz CVT. Both are doing fine but pretty new. Was asking specifically about the civic AT, if maybe that's the reason ATs are cheaper used.

Back