Selling my 2009 Honda Civic 1.8 SMT - how much to expect?

An uncle has a city TC AT and another has a Jazz CVT. Both are doing fine but pretty new. Was asking specifically about the civic AT, if maybe that's the reason ATs are cheaper used.

Civic's in general are cheaper. Don't know if AT are more cheaper than MT versions. When they were being sold, AT's were an obvious premium. I think the Auto also ended up with slightly worse FE than the manual in our conditions.. I could be wrong though

The general perception in the Indian market has always been less favorable for AT cars and I think this has to do a lot with the reliability of early generations of AT transmissions couple with our traffic and operating conditions. Ambient temperatures in our past of the world are far higher than other developed markets. However I think Indians still haven't got rid of the deep seated fear of AT's. No doubt the fact that replacements, servicing or troubleshooting were not only expensive but also restrictive in availability and know how and didn't help to ease the sense of apprehension buyers felt.

The civic although an awesome car even by today's indian standards has a very low fuel economy figure on the AT model . My uncle has a At model of the first type 1 civic model , he bought it new when it was introduced here gets 5 to 6 kmpl max in Mumbai city driving . Other than that he says it's an absolutely awesome car and I second that fact .
@Julian Bro Keep your car as long as it runs . The resale value is very low for this absolute gem of a car .
Cheers . Drive safe .

Civic's in general are cheaper. Don't know if AT are more cheaper than MT versions. When they were being sold, AT's were an obvious premium. I think the Auto also ended up with slightly worse FE than the manual in our conditions.. I could be wrong though

The general perception in the Indian market has always been less favorable for AT cars and I think this has to do a lot with the reliability of early generations of AT transmissions couple with our traffic and operating conditions. Ambient temperatures in our past of the world are far higher than other developed markets. However I think Indians still haven't got rid of the deep seated fear of AT's. No doubt the fact that replacements, servicing or troubleshooting were not only expensive but also restrictive in availability and know how and didn't help to ease the sense of apprehension buyers felt.

ATs seem to be selling slightly cheaper, at least what i saw online.

And you're absolutely right about India and ATs. I think these days they rate ATs or at least CVTs higher fuel efficiency than the manuals. Saw it on one of the Honda's ARAI cert. card. As my uncle who owns the city AT (living in dubai for decades now) explains, in theory a manual might give better FE than an auto, but the driver must shift at the precise RPMs, not overuse the clutch, be very sensitive to the throttle, basically be Michael Schumacher. Practically, the AT beats it. But things are slowly changing for the better in India (wrt. AT, nothing else ;-).[DOUBLEPOST=1500282467][/DOUBLEPOST]
The civic although an awesome car even by today's indian standards has a very low fuel economy figure on the AT model . My uncle has a At model of the first type 1 civic model , he bought it new when it was introduced here gets 5 to 6 kmpl max in Mumbai city driving...

That explains everything!

The civic although an awesome car even by today's indian standards has a very low fuel economy figure on the AT model . My uncle has a At model of the first type 1 civic model , he bought it new when it was introduced here gets 5 to 6 kmpl max in Mumbai city driving . Other than that he says it's an absolutely awesome car and I second that fact .
@Julian Bro Keep your car as long as it runs . The resale value is very low for this absolute gem of a car .
Cheers . Drive safe .

5-6 is really low mate! Frankly I'm shocked! I would expect around 8.. 7 even I'd say would be a tad worrying but 5-6 is even worse than a Superb I'd reckon!! A car much heavier and larger than the civic.

You sure nothing is wrong with it?

Okay. I bought (booked) Civic-AT the day it was launched in 2006 and sold it after using 8 years (80,000 kms) in 2014.

Absolutely amazing car no issues.

About fuel efficiency, it constantly gave me 11+ after I changed my driving habits a bit. I did not cross 2000-2100 rpm (95% of time) and still used be amongst fastest on NH8 (Delhi Gurgaon Expressway). It goes 120+ on 2000 rpm.

This was driven only by me (79500 out of 80,000 kms). :)

I got 3.70 lacs for it when I sold it.

[DOUBLEPOST=1500288459][/DOUBLEPOST]
SMT VMT are manuals. The AT was only available in V trim iirc.
At the time of launch, there were only 2 option S-AT and S-MT.

V variants were added later.

Last edited:
It’s civic problem. My cousin also has.it never went past 5 kmpl for him. It’s always sitting in parking like white elephant.

Only advantage it has is superb performance and comfort.[DOUBLEPOST=1500290280][/DOUBLEPOST]No point in selling it. Keep it as long as spares are available.

5-6 is really low mate! Frankly I'm shocked! I would expect around 8.. 7 even I'd say would be a tad worrying but 5-6 is even worse than a Superb I'd reckon!! A car much heavier and larger than the civic.

You sure nothing is wrong with it?
The car even today is serviced at Honda and according to the regular service intervals as mandated by Honda . Engine mounts replaced once . My uncle drives it now once a month at most , it's a white elephant albeit being an awesome car . In time he kept this car and moved on to the v series Innova and now an s350 merc . I must stress here that 5-6 kmpl figure I stated is in 100 % Mumbai choc-a-bloc traffic with absolutely no highway cruising .

Vishal I would have thought about it but for 3 - 3.5l. Honestly thats the best price as per market. M also from Pune (6 yrs) and always being a Honda family fan (Hondas running throughout my family right from moped, bikes to sedans, hatchbacks and suvs).
I own a Old City Model 2000 which I'm selling now and a 2k12 city as well which was sold to my uncle 2 yrs back (no use as I was the only sole driver).

In Pune, esp. in rented house theres no 4 wheeler parking in most societies and also cant risk at all parking outside due to obvious ongoing famous puneities maniacs-messy situation where every random goon or bevda will remove his frustrations by damaging and burning parked vehicles.

Coming back to the point I will be interested but honestly even if I has done just 30k odd kms the age counts can think of 50k hike.

Off-late I'm facing some personal issues (cash crunch) else I was suppose to buy one of my office friends new city that too in hard cash.

So will see in coming time if I get back good on financial part sooner, I may contact you to strike a deal if not 3.5, may be something little higher but which will go fairly well for both of us.

Last edited:
@nRiTeCh yeah you're right, 3 - 3.5 l is the realistic max resale value for my car right now :) i was previously thinking i would get around double that amount, but reality bites!

Which is why I'm not selling it, will keep it till it falls apart like @Chaos said :D so probably no use for anyone to contact me to try and strike a deal. Some people on TBHP already PMed me with interest but I declined.

I don't even want to insult (or cheat) any potential buyers by even trying to ask for 6-7 l anymore haha.[DOUBLEPOST=1500347181][/DOUBLEPOST]But @nRiTeCh anyways, good luck to you, hope you get into better financial situation soon enough yaar.

@nRiTeCh yeah you're right, 3 - 3.5 l is the realistic max resale value for my car right now :) i was previously thinking i would get around double that amount, but reality bites!
& I like such ppl, well sadly they are in majority.

Recent incident when a frnd said one can easily buy off a well maintained M800 for 5-10k. I challanged him to find one high end model waala for that price. He made few calls and dhaan. Not less than 40k directly from seller.

Reality check.

Back in 2011, I purchased a top model H-Tech Honda Civic for a price of 19 lakh rupees. After using it for 3 years, I was forced to sell it. I would like to share my ownership experience and explain as to why no one should buy this vehicle.

1) The very big reason, and one thing that I learnt during my ownership of this car, is the fact that this car has absolutely no resale value. Even if you go ahead and buy a new car and sell it after 3 months, you still won't get more than 4 lakh rupees for it. This is such an irritating fact. Civic has a low market and the resale is horrible. My car had 26000 miles on it and still, when I sold it, no one was giving more than 2.5 lakhs. I had to wait for months to get a price of 3.12 lakh rupees.

2) This car requires a lot of maintainence, much more than a usual normal car. I had to get my clutch plate replaced twice and it cost me 35000 rupees each time. My car's break pipe and fuel pipe have got damaged multiple times. There have been a lot of engine mishaps like engine making abnormal noise and occasional water pipe leakage. So yeah, this actually makes the owner spend a lot of money on the car, much higher than what should be required, and also, it irrirates and frustrates the owner. I should have been free from this burden but I had to face a problem every now and then.

3) Another big factor is that unlike other cars, which are highly usable till one lakh kilometers, this car starts aging at 50000 kms. Its componentary starts giving up.

4) It lacks a lot of features, like climate control, a full digital touchscreen, Bluetooth support, and many more. At such premium price, these features are expected.

5) My biggest gripe is, Honda City is better than this, at a lesser price. It has more reliablity, less price, and more features.

http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Honda-Civic-review-stlnurqpnmn

Well, I agree!

Last edited:
I went for servicing (free airbag replacement of defective ones) and this is what happened on the way back. Dumbass Pune two wheelers! I brake-tested them :D

WP_20170729_10_21_47_Pro.jpg WP_20170729_11_33_20_Pro.jpg WP_20170729_12_00_30_Pro.jpg WP_20170729_14_35_21_Pro.jpg[DOUBLEPOST=1501372990][/DOUBLEPOST]I've just ordered some "basic" LED lights (headlight, signals, reversing etc) off amazon.in which I'll get my local mechanic to fit for me :-D Headlights are Philips H4 858166KX2 HID set for around 5k. Rest I got for under 2k. Still need to find some brake LED replacement bulbs and I'm all set for this car to last me another 7 years :D

See http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00NAZFJIA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_HhsFzb58QQST7[DOUBLEPOST=1501373046][/DOUBLEPOST]
Philips_HID.jpg

Last edited:
What Chaos said +1

Please use those with projectors to control the beam. And if you're not doing this as a DIY project, please get it done from a well known and experienced mech if you want to avoid future issues with the headlight seals and water seepage through the units

Back