Graphic Cards Shall I get GTX 480?

Naga

Skilled
Present scenario: I've gifted my QX9650, 790i FTW and GTX 285 to my wife. I've already placed an order for a Gigabyte UD-7 and i7 930. Presently I have a Corsair HX1000 and a complete triple rad w/c loop. I'm planning to get my system online by mid April(going to get some cash flow then).

Now I'm well placed regarding power and heat. Should I plan for a 480 considering the price diff with a 5870 is around 70 dollars or so? I'll most probs be getting a water block for the card, whichever I get (why waste my loop?). Edit: Forgot to mention, I'll probably have a entry level nVidia card extra for PhysX.

Of course, if there are drastic price changes around the time I make my purchase, my question becomes redundant :).

P.S. I know there's time yet for the purchase, but I can't stop trying to plan ahead:p! If only nVidia had made the decision easier...

hey naga it is good to see your long time and have good health with your family also your kids too :) i am sure your daughter might love more games and she is smart that your :D

p,s why can your order 5970 dual card where it is faster card in the world and same power as 480 gtx due to bad review ;)

but less heating issue and good scale at all games well :)

cause the ati has done good job past 6 months without any argument against nvidia for making gpu card at late history

+1
Get the fastest over the 480 if u have the money, which u obviously have :p

Arun.P said:
hey naga it is good to see your long time and have good health with your family also your kids too :) i am sure your daughter might love more games and she is smart that your :D

p,s why can your order 5970 dual card where it is faster card in the world and same power as 480 gtx due to bad review ;)

but less heating issue and good scale at all games well :)
cause the ati has done good job past 6 months without any argument against nvidia for making gpu card at late history

@Arun.P, the 5970 is almost 200 dollars more than 480 prices! Unless there are drastic price corrections by both nVidia and Ati, I'll keep my choice to the two cards I mentioned :)

Edit@below, 200 dollars more for such a small lead at the res I play (1920x1200)? Nah, I don't think so. Like I said, power and heat is not issue for me. Price and performance is, though. That's why confused over the 2 cards. No CF/SLi for now. Unless total cost is lower than a single 480 :p cos I did tinker about with the idea of getting another 285... Nope, I'll get a single card.

^ but if u have money depend your got better job better salary and your choice if u love the ati card are consumer less power and good ati driver 10.3

i am sure the driver will improve in the future

or if u love crossfire for show so the 5850 should be better choice for cf any games but power consumer is only 400 watt tdp :)

even the gtx 480 cost more than 400 $ but the ati 5970 is the winner and observer different :) at extra dollar like benz to roll royal phantom ;)

Dont even think about adding 480 to your existing loop. You will end up screwing up entire setup. You will need a dual 120mm loop just for GPU. Add to that $100+ cost for the full GPu block.

Stick to 5870 if you plan to use your GPU for a while.

^^That's a splash of cold water! Yeah, I didn't even think if my loop would be sufficient! Maybe I will get the 5870...

^LOL it quite is considering the GPU temperatures on load crosses 95'C. :p

Adding a GPU block to the present loop would spoil the deltas you could achieve with the i7 930.

i read some website source saying

Tom's has a chart on the 2nd to last page detailing power/performance

If you want power efficiency, you'll more than likely have to go ATI. All of the new 5xxx series cards draw less power than the 480 and 470. I think on the Tom's review the 480 outdraws the 5970 in power during Furmark which is freaking insane IMO.

The really bad thing, for me anyway, is that because nVidia is charging $350 for the 470 and $500 for the 480 is that AMD isn't dropping their prices to compete because they don't have to do so. The "increase" in performance, from the Tom's review anyway (I like their reviews as they seem to be more real results) isn't worth it. The 470 vs 5850 puts the 5850 in a good light and the same with the 5870 vs 480. The marginal difference vs $50 and twice as large PSU to power it. Tom's showed them pulling over 450w ZOMG...you basically need a PSU just for the GPU. Of course this is with Furmark

I was kinda hoping for a price drop myself. However, keep in mind that soon, AMD will probably announce the 5890 and possibly 5860 that will be superior to both the 470 and 480 now that they know just how far they need to increase to beat them.

cause the ATI 5870 is clearly winner past 6 months and very good job

cause the nv has increase the oc shader upto 10-15 % due to fps test of benchmark ;)

Go for Sapphire 5870 forget about GTX 480 i didn't notice much performance difference in both of these. Getting Fermi is totally ridiculous,the price,temp, watt(especially) is extra high. Green days are gone for GPU.

also not to forget that fps above 40-50fps won't make any difference to eyes. If you have FullHD display and a budget for HD5870, go get it. Fermi cards won't come out till mid April.

Given the pricetag the 480 will have, I wouldnt suggest it. If you have that kinda money to drop on GPU might as well go for the 5970, the most hardcore GPU on the planet curently.

Early reviews suggest its at par with the 5890 but given its recent launch date, expect there to be a huge price gap between the two. I would stick with ATI Radeon for its better VFM. like I said 5970. go hardcore :p

^^

Probably the HD5890, will be a slightly enhanced version of the flagship HD5870. Like how the HD4890 was to the HD4870. The cheapest HD5970 I could find was "Sapphire HD5970 2GB GDDR5 PCIE (OC Edition)" for RS. 38,438 (pre taxes). Will the GT480 really reach this high a figure here, being currently tagged at $500 (22500)..?

I'll maybe stick with the 5870. Can't afford a second loop for the 480 right now though I had taken the price of a block into account. That was real stupid of me, not thinking of how hot a 480 really gets. I was over at the evga forums and it all sounded so good, I didn't stop to think. Given the price difference between the 5870 and the 480, it's not that tough to see the 480 as a probable purchase. The heat, the bloody heat and the noise it'll bring...

No way I can buy a 5970, though. Not at the prices they sell.

Naga, HD5870 is good to go. On your 24" monitor it should rip most games (yes METRO 2033 is a problem). Plus as of now tessellation is not being implemented that highly. It will take a while for Dx11 to mature, by then you should be ready for another refresh.

Well right now there's a sapphire 5850 going for 279 shipped on newegg. Get two of those, thats 558 USD. For a bit more than a GTX 480 you get a whole lot more performance :) The 5870 is currently 419 USD on newegg. The 5850 makes a lot more sense in the price/performance ratio. My advice would be either get a single 5850 now and wait till the next gen from ATI which is due later this year. Or if you cant wait Crossfired 5850's are the way to go IMHO

Edit: I dont know where you'll be buying but even if you buy it in india, 2 5850's will cost you abt 31k wheres a single GTX 480 will cost 28-29k anyway

Back