Video Sharing CAS/DTH possible ?

Kneo

Adept
Hi,
We are getting CAS in our area from Jan 1. Does anyone who have used CAS or DTH know whether a single connection can be shared in two different rooms ?

I have my main TV in my living room and i also have a TV tuner card on my PC. Right now with normal cable, it was just a matter of splitting and extending the cable to the PC. But with CAS, i think since we have the set top box, I am not quite sure whether the cable can be split extended to another TV ?

Any ideas here ?

Even if you manage to split the cables, there will be only one set top box where you could change the channels from , so same channels on both the tv sets :p

I am not sure about DTH, but with Tata Sky, you get some kind of adapter for which you need to pay something extra if you need to extend your connection.

Guys..Need more info on whether connection sharing is possible..Planning to go DTH way but if we need to buy 4 separate dishes for all the TV's..it'll be insane amounts dished out (pun intended :p)!!

^^ You don't need 4 seperate dishes for that. A single dish can provide cable to the whole building.But you do need seperate set-top box for each tv and then you havew to pay an additional fee of rs.100 per tv or else you will be viewing the same channels on seperate tvs.

The set top box costs Rs.2999...If u have 4 TV sets then u will have to pay Rs. 4*2999=Rs.11996 just for the STBs.....Apart from that,the subscription cost for one TV will be Rs.300( presently), u will have to pay Rs.100 for each extra Tv that u have...

DTH sharing depends upon your STB.

I am using DISH TV at my hospital for more than a year and i have extended cable to my tv tuner card.

but the big limitation is you can not select different channels on each tv. what ever is set on STB will be telecast on each tv.

for separate connections you need to purchase separate connection

Let me extend the answer above, if you like to select different channels on different TV, answer is Yes and No depending on what you like to receive, see below:

1) For FTA channels, answer is no brainer. It can be done where you feed your stb with cable or dish feed. You can control each stb separately.
2) For pay channels, content is encrypted and one needs decryption key ( in smart card) to view the content. Again this is continously changing and hence you need smart card in each STB (most CAS in India are based on NDS VideoGuard). Hence in order to view different channel simulteneously, you will need multiple smart card and hence multiple subscription. There is a hack but it is not legal and will not put more details here. Another way is to use smart card in different STB as and when required. E.g. when you are moving from leaving room to bed room, remove smart card from one STB and put it in one in bed room. However here is catch. Many vendors locks the smart card to STB and this may or may not work depending on vendor

Back