Should I buy this C320BEE ??

elendil

Disciple
I'm getting a used NAD c320bee for INR 10k. it is around two years old. No warranty but a fairly reliable source. What do you think people, should i buy it ?:huh: :huh:

speakers and source are important to know if the amp will pair up well with what you have.

But NAD is normally excellent value, and 10K is a pretty decent price (but you can probably wrangle a bit).

You should get it on a try and buy basis, that is the usual 'unofficial' rule for used equipment (not speakers, as they're too heavy). Normally a listening period of three to four days is given to a prospect to see if the rest of his chain will work with that component. This is not a dukan-walla I hope.

Shouldn't buy anything sight-unseen, no matter how great.

Considering I'm a little broke, until I can buy better speakers, I'm planning to run two panasonic satellites (30W at 6Ω)and a passive sub(90W at 6Ω) from an old integrated system I have lying around. The speakers are quite decent. Since the older system has died on me, I was on the lookout for a 5.1 amp anyway, but as my usage is more of music listening, I was wondering if it made sense.

I know that this is a brilliant entry level hifi amp but was just wondering if the price i'm getting it at is worth it ? i believe its around 16k for a brand new one in the grey market. Arghhh, decisions. I hate decisions.

Oh yeah, I will get to try out the combo. Also do you think that there is a chance i'd blow up my speakers.

I'll wait for Sangram to reply, but as long as you keep the volumes within limits, there is minimal risk of the speakers blowing

esp considering the fact that the C320BEE will have negligible clipping compared to the original amp in the Panasonic integrated setup that it used to be connected to

needless to say that the speakers you are planning to connect will be a very unlikely match for your new amp....

but considering it's a temp arrangement till you get more moolah, i guess it makes sense

He he, speakers will let you know if you're going to blow them up. If you have half a ear (and I'm surprised at the number of people who do not) you'll be able to hear the speakers in distress, telling you to knock down the volume.

The two things that kill speakers are clipping distortion and mechanical over-excursion. Clipping distortion occurs when you run a low-powered amp into a set of insensitive speakers. Since you actually get very little sound output, you turn up the volume more and more, till the amplifier starts clipping. Mind you, this is not very easy to hear. This kind of distortion fries tweeters very quickly.

Mechanical over-excursion is when the applied input power increases to the point that woofer moves so much that it can no longer stay in the magnetic gap. This increases the chances of mechanical breakage of the woofer bits. Won't get more technical than that. This can also happen to tweeters in a badly designed system. I have little idea of how your pannies are constructed but as Superczar said, if you watch the volume control a bit, you should be fine.

Now to your question of value. The price of used equipment varies with condition and your own negotiating skills. Also they don't depreciate quite as much as, say, home theater stuff. They also last a great deal of time.

Is 10K a good deal? I dunno, that's why you're going to have to check it out. You should bargain the price down as much as you can, but be sure to check out the amp. I repeat, don't buy sight-unseen.

I hate to break it to you, but with those speakers, I'm not sure how much of the amp you're going to be able to judge. The NAD is meant for good speakers, and on a temp pair you might only be able to tell if the amp is broken or not.

But if they're only temporary, they'll do. Pick up a pair of Tannoys or PSBs to go with it later, your ears will thank you.

Have you heard of Lithos acoustics ? I might be able to test out the amp with one of their speakers. Infact, later I might buy the Noa1 speaker set. It falls within my budget and i might get a bit of a discount too. Tannoys and the like will be way too expensive for me right now.

These panansonics are suprisingly not bad actually. Not as bright as high end speakers, but a nice clear crisp sound.

Anyway, I think I'll go and check out the amp with these speakers. I'll let you guys know how things turn out. Cheers and thanks.

I've heard the Noas (I think, they were the ones with a 4" woofer, the drivers are Peerless India), and I did post about them in another thread. Actually I've heard them in partnership with a NAD amp, a 370 IIRC.

They're very good home theater speakers. Too laid back for my taste in music, but at the price I think they're a steal.

Do audition them, you might like them. I would mess with the crossover a bit myself - the 'non-fatiguing' sound drives me nuts, it veils the detail, plus the drivers are pretty ordinary (which is not an issue as long as they're correctly used). But again, at the price they're a good buy.

What really matters is what makes you happy, not what others say. Just get the amp. It's a long-term investment - it is perfectly comfortable with decent speakers up to the 50K range (there are a few average products in that range) so till you go above that, the amp will not let you down. This is IMO, of course.

Have fun.

:( Problems.
  1. The NAD doesn't have a separate out for the sub woofer and mine is a mono sub :(
  2. My speakers probably don't have inbuilt crossovers so that means they will try to reproduce the entire range.
So now i think i'll have to rob some bank and buy the NAD and a brand new set of Speakers :)
Cheers guys. Thanks a lot for your inputs..

The Lithos subs are also passive, and they use a cheap power amp from Pulz for that express purpose.

The 320BEE has a preamp output - it is a 2-channel amp but for the sub you'd need another amp.

Your closing statement is the best resolution of the issue. There is nothing as good as 2-channel stereo.

Back