Camera Should I keep my DSLR?

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Hi.

I am not a photographer. I just like gadgets.

So this might be a weird question to few. I have a Nikon D7100 with a Nikkor 10-24 lens with a Meike Grip.
I bought this gear because it belonged to a friend and he used it for less than a year and he was moving to Spain.

In 2014, I used this cam for once. Another time, I took it with me for a trip and didn't even get the thing out. My iPhone 6 Plus did the job very well.

I feel that I don't need a dedicated camera anymore. As max my pictures will end up on facebook.

I may buy a Lumix TZ60 just to have a camera.

Thanks.

8/10 .... way to rub it in his face lol.

Anyhow why exactly are you asking us this question? You already seem to feel pretty strongly against the DSLR, so are you looking for justification? If so, then I disagree with selling it just yet. Sure the 6+ has a great camera, but you've not given the D7100 much of a chance when you only took out once last year. Nevermind that the snaps may only end up on facebook, I think you should take the DSLR out a few times exclusively and then at the end see how you feel about the camera. Atleast give the camera a fair chance to perform and do what it does best, before you consider getting rid of it.

I'm sure the camera is great, however developing the eye and will to use it is something else. Got to keep at it. Find ways to motivate yourself. Not too hard, its affordable to take any number of shots and there are tons of galleries from which to draw inspiration.

You are responsible for how the shot comes out a great deal more than the camera.

Last edited:
if you are satisfied with the iphone buying lumix wont help. either go pro by learning about photography or just stick to iphone. dont waste money on P&S.

btw, "Click pictures for yourself, not for others." if you just want to click pictures for sharing on FB then iphone is enough.

also, buy a camera only when you get a feeling that your iphone is not capable enough to take a picture the way you want it. Also... you have a very wide angle lens. thats why you are unable to use it. try getting a 50mm prime if you decide to keep the camera.

You're more than welcome to gift me your DSLR, if you're giving away ;)

I see they (boo and rd) have points. Give it sometime and if you can borrow lenses from your friends, try them too. If still you don't think you need DSLR, sell it and use your iphone.

59390292.jpg

Used DSLRs have a very robust market (Try JJMPF) Sell it, monetize it for now. If in the future you realise and need the capabilities that the iphone does not have, you can always buy a new/ used unit again.

You have already realized the futility of trying to force in a passion. I suggest dispose of it. and get the one that meets your actual need, not the perceived one. You can try selling here or JJMPF. In fact if the price suits, I may be interested in it.

D7100 is a fantastic camera and that lens is pretty great too. Unless you are absolute sure that you are never gonna use it, I suggest keeping it. That sensor is one of the best in APS-C. You already have the gear for landscape shooting. Most people also use that camera for wildlife images.

2nd take.

I am not a photographer. I just like gadgets.
ownership of said gadgets matters more than whether said gadgets will be used or whether they are useful at all.

In 2014, I used this cam for once. Another time, I took it with me for a trip and didn't even get the thing out. My iPhone 6 Plus did the job very well. I feel that I don't need a dedicated camera anymore.
A car collector does not drive all his cars. they sit in a garage. he has them because he likes them.

At the time I asked you why you got it ? your answer was along the lines everybody is getting one these days and its my money...piss off !!

Now you know why i asked :D

I am sorry I dont even remember that. but it does sound like me. So i agree.

8/10 .... way to rub it in his face lol.

Anyhow why exactly are you asking us this question? You already seem to feel pretty strongly against the DSLR, so are you looking for justification? If so, then I disagree with selling it just yet. Sure the 6+ has a great camera, but you've not given the D7100 much of a chance when you only took out once last year. Nevermind that the snaps may only end up on facebook, I think you should take the DSLR out a few times exclusively and then at the end see how you feel about the camera. Atleast give the camera a fair chance to perform and do what it does best, before you consider getting rid of it.

Why?. I dont know. :).

I said facebook coz thats the only photo sharing thing for common people. and it water down that actual picture for size. I don't use picasa or flickr to share my full resolution artistic pictures. I am not that person. I never had that artistic photo clicking gene in me. I just like tech and I like photo clicking. So i looked for the best my money could get. My first was a Canon 500D straight from japan. Saved up 2 years for it. It was happiness.

You have already realized the futility of trying to force in a passion. I suggest dispose of it. and get the one that meets your actual need, not the perceived one. You can try selling here or JJMPF. In fact if the price suits, I may be interested in it.

I am in US. Already have a buyer here itself giving me a wonderful enough price. Dont see the point in lugging it across the water to India. Open thread, take pictures, people low balling etc etc. :(.

D7100 is a fantastic camera and that lens is pretty great too. Unless you are absolute sure that you are never gonna use it, I suggest keeping it. That sensor is one of the best in APS-C. You already have the gear for landscape shooting. Most people also use that camera for wildlife images.

No arguments there. But see, its like I am monkey with a rocket launcher. :D. I see people with talent doing wonderful amazing things with that machine in dpreview and I am like.. wait.. I have that camera. what a waste.

2nd take.

ownership of said gadgets matters more than whether said gadgets will be used or whether they are useful at all.

A car collector does not drive all his cars. they sit in a garage. he has them because he likes them.

Thats why I kept it with me till now. Anyway, if gadgets is what I want, I feel that I should move on to mirrorless. I see Sony A6000 kicking ass nowadays. But that's a different topic or debate for some which I have no intent to be part of.

And on the same note, if you take a peek at my signature, I do have a butt load of things. 70% of them I haven't used in a year or 2. They are all back in India. And I am here in a different country. I will be coming to India in a month and planning to sell or give them all away. At some point, its just sad seeing them not used or wasted.

Last edited:
Well, ask yourself if you have any interest in serious photography. If you think you'll never have any time or serious interest then you should sell it.

jeri if ur not loosing alot of money then sell it, if u are then dont .. keep using it once every week atleast to keep it fully working i suppose. if u need the cash and can use it in a better place - then also sell it lol no point keeping something ur not gonna use, no matter how good it is.

Well. I am getting a price less than a 100 or 200USD I spend originally on it, after 2 years. So...

I don't need cash now but there are always better things to use the cash I get from this. So I decided to let this go. My DSLR phase came to an end I guess. :D.

Sell it and get a Sony RX100. Keep it with you on your trips. If the iPhone snaps are enough, then just use the money for something else. No point in keeping a gadget without using it. There is someone out there who'll make a better use of it.

get a olympus mirrorless and a wide aperture lens like 45 1.8
hardly 50k for both

its a very small package indeed

start clicking portraits of your friends from a close distance to get a shallow dof

edit it in picasa

share with them

you will be amazed with the response

Back