Budget 51-70k Should I wait for B450 motherboards?

kvikram

Well-Known Member
Adept
Nov 16, 2010
1,126
107
103
25
I was looking forward to building a new computer this month and had almost finalized a build with a Ryzen 5 2600, a Gigabyte B350 motherboard, G.Skill 8GB 3000 Mhz RAM and a GTX 1060.

However I'm having some last minute doubts on whether I should wait for B450 motherboards.

Some models were recently unveiled at Computex but no release date has been slated. One website speculated that the boards would arrive by end of July.

If the new motherboards are not going to offer too much in performance or reliability I shall order a B350 motherboard now. Not really keen on waiting too long. But I'm quite conflicted.
 

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Veteran
Jun 3, 2005
5,936
2,407
377

One issue you will have is that the B350 boards will requires a BIOS update to recognize the news Zen+ series. To do that, you will need to borrow a fist gen Ryzen CPU.

Personally, I would say that if you can wait for B450, you should.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tommy_vercetti

Him

Active Member
Disciple
Jul 14, 2015
175
25
41
The major advantage of B450 over B350 is out of the box compatibility with Ryzen 2000 CPUs. Performance wise there won't be any difference. Wait for B450 if you can. Buy B350 Mobo only if you're certain that the Mobo you're buying will work with Ryzen 2600 without needing BIOS update.

 

Jasku

Well-Known Member
Veteran
Apr 27, 2008
1,747
211
152
35
Yup, what they said, there isnt any performance gain over the B350 other than the out of the box compatibility with Zen+, if you are in a hurry and purchasing it from a B&M shop, the dealer should be able to flash the bios for you, but if you have the patience, wait up!