Budget 51-70k Should I wait for B450 motherboards?

kvikram

Skilled
I was looking forward to building a new computer this month and had almost finalized a build with a Ryzen 5 2600, a Gigabyte B350 motherboard, G.Skill 8GB 3000 Mhz RAM and a GTX 1060.

However I'm having some last minute doubts on whether I should wait for B450 motherboards.

Some models were recently unveiled at Computex but no release date has been slated. One website speculated that the boards would arrive by end of July.

If the new motherboards are not going to offer too much in performance or reliability I shall order a B350 motherboard now. Not really keen on waiting too long. But I'm quite conflicted.

One issue you will have is that the B350 boards will requires a BIOS update to recognize the news Zen+ series. To do that, you will need to borrow a fist gen Ryzen CPU.

Personally, I would say that if you can wait for B450, you should.

The major advantage of B450 over B350 is out of the box compatibility with Ryzen 2000 CPUs. Performance wise there won't be any difference. Wait for B450 if you can. Buy B350 Mobo only if you're certain that the Mobo you're buying will work with Ryzen 2600 without needing BIOS update.

Yup, what they said, there isnt any performance gain over the B350 other than the out of the box compatibility with Zen+, if you are in a hurry and purchasing it from a B&M shop, the dealer should be able to flash the bios for you, but if you have the patience, wait up!

Back