Should one follow his high school friends to college?

Dishant996

Disciple
Hey guys, actually its not about any college, but personal matter. My friends, with whom i studied PCM with, all of them are going to the same college, in same branch, CSE. And my interest lies in cse as well. Technically, i'm going to another college, where i know no one. I don't even know a senior in the college i'm going to. I chose my college according to ranking it has, and my friends chose their college over distance and how nice their interaction with faculty was. So, basically it makes me doubt my judgement about my college. Basically people like to go college other then their friends so that they can meet new people and make new friends, but for me, its not that easy, i have difficulty in making new friends. What to do?

Should one follow ones friends that are jumping off a cliff? No right? That answers the question.

Now to the real question, How do you make friends? Everyday, say hi to 10 random people in college. Get the numbers of 5 new people, and decide atleast 2 that you want to stay in touch with. Most people are themselves shy and if you approach them, they will greet you warmly. Small talk like how much the canteen sucks, or how hot the climate is pretty good. With guys, talk about girls, with girls, talk about movies, songs, other girls, studies etc.

Main thing to keep in mind - Dont get involved in other peoples affairs, dont poke your nose. Stay away from group politics. And dont bad mouth anyone no matter how much they deserve it. That should get you a lot of friends.

Dont think, say HI. There was a time when I smiled, said Hi to this chic, and we both just looked at each other, looked around for 5 seconds at each other cause we had nothing to say. And then we started talking about how awkward that was and spoke for half an hour. Just tell you, shit happens, you can even turn it over sometimes. Sometiems people dont even acknowledge your greetings, dont pay them too much thought, ignore them. If you ping them on facebook and they didnt reply three times, unfriend them and move on to people that you like.

So that's just the short version of it. There is also twitter, facebook, linked in, whatsapp, college groups, activities, studies, study groups, Tinder, and if you're gay there are a ton of gay sites (dont ask me how I know that, i'm very straight lol). So yeah, this is an age where making friends is as easy as reaching out, and reaching out consistently.

You'll be forced to meet new people and learn new things. If you'd stayed with the old gang, you wouldn't be that motivated to initiate conversations with others. Make new friends. The old ones will stay, and you can catch up with them now and then too. Just be yourself, even if you're shy or an introvert. By the time first semester ends and the second one starts, you'll have a fair idea of everyone.

Also, don't hesitate to interact with students from other branches. Avoid clinging to just one group. Be casual with everyone.[DOUBLEPOST=1407881862][/DOUBLEPOST]
So, **** high skul friends like they meant nothing?
Hehe...I met two of my best friends from high school the other day. After 3 long years. We smoked some pretty strong stuff :D Of course the memories you've had still mean something, and you'll have a certain connect with them that you won't have with others. Learn to embrace the new. College is just a phase, like high school.

Hey guys, actually its not about any college, but personal matter. My friends, with whom i studied PCM with, all of them are going to the same college, in same branch, CSE. And my interest lies in cse as well. Technically, i'm going to another college, where i know no one. I don't even know a senior in the college i'm going to. I chose my college according to ranking it has, and my friends chose their college over distance and how nice their interaction with faculty was. So, basically it makes me doubt my judgement about my college. Basically people like to go college other then their friends so that they can meet new people and make new friends, but for me, its not that easy, i have difficulty in making new friends. What to do?

One day or the other everyone will have to part ways. So buckle up and concentrate on studies and i mean knowing stuff not just grades.
i chose distance over ranking----- made new friends......had a blast (no idea how we passed 4 years) but now we have split across continents leave alone states.

I myself moved to a college where I didn't know anyone and my school friends weren't with me. While sure there are many pros and cons to both arguements of whether you should join school friends in college or not, If you ask me, I'd recommend to join without school friends. I has difficulty friends too but, it sure wasn't that bad and last days of my college were awesome. Even much better than it may would have been with school friends.

At last it's your life, so it's your choice.

Come to think of it, there are many around the world, and quite a lot in India too, who struggle to get into any college, with a large number of them even dropping the idea altogether because they cannot afford education. And then there are many who don't even have access to basic education, let alone a proper school.

You are a privileged human being, and I assume everyone here is too. Always keep that in mind.

Whsbd96.png

I dunno but barring a few friends (5-6) who are my school friends, i think other friends come with an expiry date. There are some that will be with you throughout life and you will know these for sure by the time you reach 26. Rest you can have great time with and great pals with, but inevitably you will have to take a fork. And trust me , it is mentally draining to try to keep in contact with friends from all phases of life. Its actually better to have a few trusted and great friends than a thousand "acquaintance" friends. I actually shut down my facebook profile and have made a fake profile adding only my close friends.

Choose the college with better quality of chicks. End of Discussion. :)

Friends?? HAHAHAHA. After few years, you will understand how much friendship will be extended. Doesn't matter if they are good or bad. At some point, we all go separate ways. It will be just Hi and Bye. :).

I think the best advice here (counting mine) is that of finding the college with best chicks (by @m-jeri ). Nothing else matters. And im speaking from an academic POV too. Your attendance will soar, your free time will be spent better, and if you are lucky you might get laid too.

my guess is that the dude is dipressed because the "friends" he mentioned are actually girls. your concern is valid my friend. just dont join a boys only college.

i studied in an only boys school, realised my mistake and joined a co-ed college, btw my friends were boys only as there wasn't much exposure to girls at the stage of life when it should be, i.e. in high school life. Seems like i was bit late as the college with 'new people' got filled earlier and had to go with my friends for college. Still, i'm feeling nervous about college, any tips of how college is different than high school in terms of academics, friends and other things as well? Even though i'm going with my friends, doesn't mean i wouldn't meet new people.....

Back