Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 or similar lens for cannon DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

banda

Disciple
I am looking for a zoom lens for my 350D. Will be used for landscape as well as indoors.

I don't need a lot of range, just good IQ at wide angles. This will be my walkaround lens so extreme wideangle (10-22 etc) are not suitable. My research tells me the sigma 17-70 fits the bill perfectly (and the budget).

I'll be purchasing the lens in grey from chandni chowk next month if i don't find a used one.

Other lens suggestions welcome.:)
Also looking for links to other sites where i can look for second-hand lens postings.:huh:

titana said:
jjm..bpc..
thats pretty cryptic.. but i think i have broken the cypher:bleh:..
are you are suggesting i should check jjmehta.com and bangalorephotographyclub.com for used lens postings?..
i have checked jjm and am still awaiting my membership to bpc to be approved

^ Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 would be better imo.
Shoot a PM to admin incase your bpc registration is pending.

Darky said:
^ Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 would be better imo.

i know the tamron beats the sigma in image quality by a little bit. unfortunately, on my camera the tamron will be the equivalent of 26-75 and i want to be able to go more wideangle than 26

^^ Can you explain, how could you get more wide angle in Sigma 17-70mm than Tammy 17-50mm lens...

both have the same wide angle FL...

___

moreover, if you can be happy with 50mm tele range instead of 70, Tammy 17-50 is better at the same price because it gives you f/2.8 throughout the range..

@ashvarybabul
sigma lens is made for APS-C cameras hence the effective range i will get is 17-70 whereas tamron 17-50 is for full frames so when used on a APS-C camera such as mine a 1.6 cropping factor will need to be considered, making the effective range for the lens 26-75mm

constant f/2.8 will be great but not at the cost of wideangle range in my book

@Darky
thanks for the tip about mailing the admin at bpc, the reverted and approved my membership within an hour:)

banda said:
sigma lens is made for APS-C cameras hence the effective range i will get is 17-70 whereas tamron 17-50 is for full frames so when used on a APS-C camera such as mine a 1.6 cropping factor will need to be considered, making the effective range for the lens 26-75mm

I think there is some mistake here. The Sigma 17-70 is without doubt, one of the best lenses I have used and you are absolutely spot on in saying that it is a DC lens made only for the cropped sensor. However, you are wrong in saying that it would give you a coverage of 17mm on the wide end simply because it is a DC lens. It would give you the same 26mm as the Tamron lens. If you have any doubts you can check photozone.de which quotes its angle of view as 27-112mm.
And BTW, the Tamron too is a lens for cropped sensor cameras although they don't have any fancy titles to mark the same. It is a peach of a lens which is why I am on the lookout for one.
I have seen someone selling a 17-70 for Canon Mount in JJMPF recently from Kolkata. Kindly go through the Buy and Sell Forums. Any ways best of luck for your purchase.

@shantanil

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I was thinking since sigma is for APS-c its specifications would also be for APS-c cameras. Guess i need to do a little more reading. would have to consider tammy as an option now though i am still leaning towards sigma for the build quality, close focusing and macro capability.

^^ all of the lenses you buy, you have to apply the 1.6x factor.

i think , f2.8 throughtout the range would be sweeter, with the sigma you'd have to carry around a 50mm prime for lowlight.

@ashvarybabul
credit goes to you for pointing out the mistake

shantanil said:
No problems buddy. Here are a few links from JJM that might interest you.

FS Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 for canon DELHI

WTS: Canon mount SIGMA 10-20 sold, 17-70 still there

Thanks for the links. I talked have to both of them in the last couple of days. Both are asking for 14k. I am getting a better price for a new one from pritam sons, so going to get it from there when i go to delhi next month, if i dont find another used posting somewhere.

btw, i did not know nikon was that popular over cannon in India!.. majority of the lens postings that i saw on bpc and jjm were for nikon mounts.. or are we seeing a large scale conversion here? making ppl sell their nikon gear:ashamed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back