CPU/Mobo Skylake CPU stock heatsink/cooler installation?

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
I've got some concerns about the new Skylake CPUs like the retail/boxed Core i5 6500 model (non-K, non-OEM)... based on reading/seeing that the stock cooler is not pre-attached.

How would one go about installing the stock heatsink+fan combo that comes with a boxed CPU?
Does the retail box come with stuff like thermal paste?
Is it pre-applied (on the heatsink or CPU) or does it come in a tube?
If needs to be applied, does it need to be spread on the CPU?
If it needs to be spread, does the box come with something to help spread it or do you need to have your own tools?

I'm total klutz with handiwork, so a bit worried about assembling a skylake platform desktop, which I definitely want to do myself :) Hoping that folks here have some experience/advice on this already and it's not too early to ask.

I have assembled several pcs and have not come across a heatsink which is separate from the fan. The TIM also comes preapplied in the heat sink itself. If you are not well versed and scared to do it yourself you can hire a computer guy. But If you have the guts to do it, then you can watch some youtube videos and proceed. The manual which comes with the cpu package is enough and you can do it yourself. But I don't know how explanatory, the manual for the new skylake cpus would be.

I didn't mean to say I thought heatsink is separate from the fan, I believe the heatsink+fan (cooler combo) is separate from the Skylake CPU itself, right? And I am even more scared of getting someone else to do it :D

Can you (or anyone) clarify/confirm if the TIM/thermal paste comes pre-applied (on the heatsink) specifically for the Skylake boxed retail CPUs?[DOUBLEPOST=1447071988][/DOUBLEPOST]For the life of me I can't remember/recall how I installed my old Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU - whether I had to manually fix the cooler onto the CPU or it came pre-attached. It's only the part where you need to be careful about the thermal paste that worries me, assembling a PC in general is easy enough for me.

Last edited:
99.99% the TIM is factory applied in the hsf, so you need not worry. Only if you need an aftermarket cooler, there will arises a necessity to buy TIM paste like arctic silver.

The CPU is separate from the cooler and you have to install the cpu first in the correct position in the motherboard. Then you have to install the cooler in the motherboard . You say you have already installed na. It will be same only. You can refer youtube for detailed explanation.

Just now found that skylake cpu comes without a cooler. You should go for an after market cooler in this case. The TIM may or may not be included in such coolers. Seek help from members who have used such coolers as i have no experience with such coolers.

Thanks.

I believe only the K series unlocked and OEM skylake CPUs have no cooler, I am hoping at least the retail boxed i5 6500 model I'm thinking about will come with HSF with TIM pre-applied :D

yes, your i5 6500 will come with a heatsink which will have thermal paste applied already.
it's pretty easy, just watch a youtube video. Lots of people install cpus themselves but we all had a first time...
personal tip: make sure you have ample space around you.
basic steps.
the cpu is just placed in the socket and the lock closed.
then place the heatsink over it straight down and lock in the 4 clips at the corners in a diagonal manner.
done.

When placing the cpu , take care to align the mark in the cpu with the mark in the motherboard which ensures, it is placed in the correct position just like the case with polarities in a battery. Just watch a YouTube video and you are good to go.

When placing the cpu , take care to align the mark in the cpu with the mark in the motherboard which ensures, it is placed in the correct position just like the case with polarities in a battery. Just watch a YouTube video and you are good to go.
Yep there's a small painted triangle on the socket and the CPU. Both of these should be aligned and be in the same corner. That's the only real thing one needs to take care of. The newer LGA boards are really easy to build on otherwise - no risk of bent pins etc like AMD.

Quick update that the installation was easy peasy :) Thanks all.

Question: My CPU (Core i5 6500) temperatures hover around 30 degrees C idle, around 40 degrees with light usage and around 50 degrees max when running CPU-Z "stress" test, do these temperatures seem OK with the stock cooler? I can't seem to find anything online either official or people talking about CPU temps with the stock cooler.

Just FYI, the stock cooler didn't have any "paste" to worry about. The heat sink contact surface just had some four bits of dark-gray material, bit rubber-like to the touch, not a liquid-ish paste. Wish I had taken a photo of that part. Placing the CPU onto the socket and locking the mobo CPU lid was straightforward and the HSF just clicked into place. Of course I had watched some videos online and read both the motherboard and Intel docs that came with the products.

Yep, read the manual which didn't talk about any paste. Even youtube video of a skylake 6500 unboxing was same as mine (no missing pieces). Didn't see or read anything about removing any cover/protective layer before installation so just snapped the cooler into place, I hope I didn't miss anything which is why I was asking about the temperatures (seem OK to me) for the CPU.[DOUBLEPOST=1450013173][/DOUBLEPOST]
If the TIM is different in skylake cpus, then it is ok. But most probably it is a paste. May be it is dry and feels like that.

Yeah maybe it's technically still a "paste" but like I said it felt more "rubber" (firm) to the touch than liquid-like...[DOUBLEPOST=1450013224][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyway I just lightly touched it because I didn't want to disturb/displace it much in case it was really more soft than it turned out to be :)

Just FYI, the stock cooler didn't have any "paste" to worry about. The heat sink contact surface just had some four bits of dark-gray material, bit rubber-like to the touch, not a liquid-ish paste.
the grey stuff is the tim. you can use a cpu temp monitoring software to check if it's all good.

Yeah I used the HW-MONITOR (from cpuid/cpuz family) tool to post temps ranging from 30 to 50 degrees C, but wanted to check if it's normal.... seems to be normal to me though.

Back