Budget 90k+ Slimmest Gaming Laptop of 2018 ?

AKGamer

Recruit
Which one is the slimmest gaming laptop available in the market? whether you should buy a Slim gaming laptop or not? I have heard it heats up a lot and does not long last more than a year? :banghead::banghead:

Yeah, gaming laptops really heat up obviously. Slim ones would too, they better have good cooling.

But really speaking, if you are thinking of gaming laptops:-
- Forget slim
- Forget battery life
- Forget touchscreen
- As always concentrate on the GPU first.

My suggestions. (Aff links, please buy from them if you find the advice sound. Thank you)
The suggestions are super VFM, slim enough and are very capable when compared to desktop equivalents

This is a superb lappie for Rs.95k and slim enough
HP Omen (7th Gen Intel i5 Processor/1TB HDD+128GB SSD/15 inch 1080 IPS Display/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB/Win10)

If you want something cheaper and yet capable, the 1050ti range is there but the price difference isn't much. Around Rs.10k cheaper you'd find laptops with 1050 (Non-ti), which I wouldn't suggest if you are into gaming latest AAA titles or want a 3 year future proof laptop atleast. If you know the games you'd play like CS:GO or Dota or PUBG primarily, then it's fine and you can adjust.

Don't go for Acer Nitro AN515-51 as it has heating issues which causes clocking down of processor and gpu

Last edited by a moderator:

I do not think that this SKU has reached India, yet.
My suggestions. (Aff links, please buy from them if you find the advice sound. Thank you)
The suggestions are super VFM, slim enough and are very capable when compared to desktop equivalents

This is a superb lappie for Rs.95k and slim enough
HP Omen (7th Gen Intel i5 Processor/1TB HDD+128GB SSD/15 inch 1080 IPS Display/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB/Win10)

Hey, where are you getting this notebook for Rs 95,000 or thereabouts?

Also, the Core i5 will be a bottleneck going forward, I would recommend at least a Core i7 if OP is purchasing a 7th Gen CPU based machine.

I do not think that this SKU has reached India, yet.

Hey, where are you getting this notebook for Rs 95,000 or thereabouts?

Also, the Core i5 will be a bottleneck going forward, I would recommend at least a Core i7 if OP is purchasing a 7th Gen CPU based machine.

No core i5 won't be a bottlenecked at all,trust me. Even if it is let's say by 10- 15%, and big deal. Would you want to spend 10k more just for that little percentage?

And I put the link Mr. Mod removed it!

No core i5 won't be a bottlenecked at all,trust me. Even if it is let's say by 10- 15%, and big deal. Would you want to spend 10k more just for that little percentage?

And I put the link Mr. Mod removed it!

There is more than a ~10% difference. Games like Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and Unity are already maxing out older quad-core i5's. Going forward the gap will widen even more starkly and that is before we consider the multiplayer aspect and the love for bigger open-worlds.

P.S. -- Can you share that link with me in private?

Forget slim and light laptops if gaming is your first priority. Most of those throttle under load and the good ones cost well north of 1.3lakhs. If you are on lookout for bang-for-buck gaming laptops, watch out for MSI GV62 series laptops on flipkart, specially the 7RF spec. Its has an i7 7700 and nvidia 1060 gtx gpu. I bought one for 78k. At that price, its unbeatable.

There is more than a ~10% difference. Games like Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and Unity are already maxing out older quad-core i5's. Going forward the gap will widen even more starkly and that is before we consider the multiplayer aspect and the love for bigger open-worlds.

P.S. -- Can you share that link with me in private?

Yes, link PM'd ya.

Here are my two bits looking strictly from my perspective.
Yes, there are differences no doubt, but trust me, itisn't a big deal difference. That is if you are VERY particular about every last fps squeeze then yes. Also, these differences are very game engine oriented. Most game engines don't bother too much till date about 6 cores and 8 cores. They are happy with 4 cores at 3Ghz, happily, you can play anything thrown at it.

If you are talking about the future, from a price VS performance perspective alone. Spending that extra 10k won't make much of a difference for even 20 to 30 fps more (depending heavily on the game engine alone). It's not like your games are dying at 20 fps slideshow. With the i5 and 1060 games will be pushing araam se 50-60 fps in AAA titles in strictly 1080 resolution with High settings. Please don't use 4k for a 1060 and ultra settings. These settings are meant for 1070 and above only. If you are looking at that level of gaming, please don't think budget at all then.

If you are into multiplayer competitive gaming, then again no problem as these games purposely don't push the envelope too hard as they want more players to adopt their games than fancy graphics. An i5 and 1060 will happily give you enough FPS there too.

Also, the game makers aren't stupid, the AAA titles play very well and look really good even with older GPUs. Case in point I played "Rise of the Tomb Raider" at 1080 res, medium to high settings on an NVIDIA 760 2GB and the game played really well. This game is known to use more than 4GB RAM if it is available otherwise it adjusts intelligently. Yes, I did get a problem in one of the last stages, where I had to drop the res a bit. That is one game and one stage.

This will most probably NOT happen with a 1060 even 3 years from now, with a 1050 ti more likely. Even if it does, adjust the settings and res a bit and you are good to go.

Again, THE ONLY REASON to apply this LOGIC is for the BEST VFM. If you got the money honey, then just go right ahead.

Check MSI GS65 Stealth -

• Latest 8th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7 processor
  • Windows 10 Home / Windows 10 Pro
  • GeForce® GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
  • 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080), 144Hz 7ms, IPS-Level gaming display panel (Optional)
  • World's first 144Hz thin bezel gaming laptop
  • All new Dragon Center with exclusive gaming mode
  • Per-Key RGB gaming keyboard by Steelseries
  • Productivity 8+ hours battery life
  • Sound by Dynaudio and High-Resolution Audio ready
  • 360° virtual surround sound powered by Nahimic 3
  • Ultra thin 17.9mm, ultra light 1.88kg
  • Xsplit Gamecaster free premium license for 1 year
  • WTFast free premium license for 2 months
600.png

I am in the same boat as OP and my budget is strict at around 75. I was surprised that you found GV62 at 78k, can you share the link? I'm unable to find that. My concern is that the laptop should not be beyond 2.5Kg and should have at least 4 hours of battery life.

Forget slim and light laptops if gaming is your first priority. Most of those throttle under load and the good ones cost well north of 1.3lakhs. If you are on lookout for bang-for-buck gaming laptops, watch out for MSI GV62 series laptops on flipkart, specially the 7RF spec. Its has an i7 7700 and nvidia 1060 gtx gpu. I bought one for 78k. At that price, its unbeatable.

Yes, this is indeed the BEST CONFIG and PRICE I've ever seen. And nope cannot find it anywhere. I had been checking for the past few months and never spotted this one. All laptops around 75k were i5 with 1050 and above were with 1050ti or 1060 with i5 or i7 and SSD variations.

I am in the same boat as OP and my budget is strict at around 75. I was surprised that you found GV62 at 78k, can you share the link? I'm unable to find that. My concern is that the laptop should not be beyond 2.5Kg and should have at least 4 hours of battery life.

I am not sure I am allowed to share links here. But the sale was on Flipkart in the month of December, 2017. that's when the lineup was launched. My first order was canceled. I got lucky the 2nd time. In flipkart, search for "GV62VR 7RF-1067IN". that's the spec I bought. It's currently selling for 1,19,000/-.[DOUBLEPOST=1528518316][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes, this is indeed the BEST CONFIG and PRICE I've ever seen. And nope cannot find it anywhere. I had been checking for the past few months and never spotted this one. All laptops around 75k were i5 with 1050 and above were with 1050ti or 1060 with i5 or i7 and SSD variations.

I got lucky, thanks to my sleeplessness. :D I was going through the deals at around 2am. I saw this and didn't waste a second. Not sleeping on time has its benefits!

If you are looking for the "slimmest" model this could be it.
Check MSI GS65 Stealth -

• Latest 8th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7 processor
  • Windows 10 Home / Windows 10 Pro
  • GeForce® GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
  • 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080), 144Hz 7ms, IPS-Level gaming display panel (Optional)
  • World's first 144Hz thin bezel gaming laptop
  • All new Dragon Center with exclusive gaming mode
  • Per-Key RGB gaming keyboard by Steelseries
  • Productivity 8+ hours battery life
  • Sound by Dynaudio and High-Resolution Audio ready
  • 360° virtual surround sound powered by Nahimic 3
  • Ultra thin 17.9mm, ultra light 1.88kg
  • Xsplit Gamecaster free premium license for 1 year
  • WTFast free premium license for 2 months
600.png
Not sure why people want paper-slim gaming laptops though.

Yes, link PM'd ya.

Here are my two bits looking strictly from my perspective.

Again, THE ONLY REASON to apply this LOGIC is for the BEST VFM. If you got the money honey, then just go right ahead.

Eh! Multiplayer titles like BattleField have already been having issues with lesser cores for some time now. Going forward it is only going to widen the chasm. Irrespective of buying a notebook now or three months later, you cannot upgrade components like the CPU and GPU since they are directly soldered onto the board and you will be limited to your current choices.

I would have gotten behind this argument if it was a regular desktop affair but honestly in notebooks where even Gen 1. Coffee Lake chips are a big step up over your older HQ series processors, it is imperative to go for the best now than look at it squarely from the narrow confines of BEST VFM.
Not sure why people want paper-slim gaming laptops though.

It is the next step in the evolution of products based around the slim factor, OEM's and the big brands get the control they want. Consumers get "thinner", "lighter" products that are ever so slightly easier to cart around.

I would have gotten behind this argument if it was a regular desktop affair but honestly in notebooks where even Gen 1. Coffee Lake chips are a big step up over your older HQ series processors, it is imperative to go for the best now than look at it squarely from the narrow confines of BEST VFM.
Only holds true for "H" versions of processors,a 7th gen i5 "H" is still better than a 8th gen i5 "U" in overall gaming scenario.

Only holds true for "H" versions of processors,a 7th gen i5 "H" is still better than a 8th gen i5 "U" in overall gaming scenario.

Full fat H series Coffee Lake units are already being introduced into the market.

And when it comes to SKU's like U series the step up is even greater between Coffee Lake Core i5's (quad-cores and hex-cores) and Kaby Lake Core i5's (dual-cores and quad-cores). Obviously, U series processors will fall behind H series processors due to thermal throttling and tighter power limitations. https://ark.intel.com/compare/97535,97459,124969

It is the next step in the evolution of products based around the slim factor, OEM's and the big brands get the control they want. Consumers get "thinner", "lighter" products that are ever so slightly easier to cart around.
Portability ok but at the cost of performance (Max-Q) and arguably potential heating problems, no thanks. Which is why I've never really been a fan of "slim gaming laptops" right from the start. I'm always a fan of the fat ones. :D
I do like thin but not too thin. I will be able to manage till 2.5-3kg max.

Back