small Question

eatpepsi

Disciple
My friend wants to buy vista only for Dx10 gaming.Which edition is best for gaming???Does Vista Home basic edition contain Dx10???

Windows Vista Ultimate is the most powerful edition and targetted at the PC enthusiasts, gamers and power users. This edition combines all the features of Home Premium and Enterprise, and includes a game performance tweaker (WinSAT), special customer support services and exclusive downloads dubbed Ultimate Extras. The 64-bit version will support up to 128GB of physical memory.
With C2 processors dominating the market, quad procs on the way and RAM prices crashing I think gamers won't mind to pay for the additional resources.

I think I am in agreement with Kumar on this one, the extra's are mostly things that are eyecandy related, like Dreamscape that is a resource hog, and unless you are really planning on having 128gb of ram, I don't see how that would be of benefit. Game performance is also going to have a lot to do with the video card you have.

ArtfulDodger said:
I think I am in agreement with Kumar on this one, the extra's are mostly things that are eyecandy related, like Dreamscape that is a resource hog, and unless you are really planning on having 128gb of ram, I don't see how that would be of benefit. Game performance is also going to have a lot to do with the video card you have.

lol. anyways agreed,go with home ed.

the best thing is to wait for dx10 to become more mainstream :)

I will admit straight up, if money is no concern then Ultimate is going to deliver the best bang. It includes the superb computer backup tool, media center, Ultimate extras, business applications, better support for high-end hardware and additional special features. On the other end of the spectrum we have Vista Home Basic, which is designed for those who don't care about the Aero interface or other additions such as Media Center and random content creation tools.

Home Basic vs. Home Premium
No Aero interface, including transparency in many parts of the GUI
No Media Center
Five included Windows games, instead of nine
No automatic network backup
No relationship between PC and Xbox 360
No advanced slideshows
No Movie Maker / DVD Maker
Weak Tablet PC functionality
No SideShow Support

Home Premium vs. Ultimate
No advanced complete system backup tool
Small business apps, such as Fax and Scan
No Ultimate "extras", which could include games and special utilities
No BitLocker hard drive encryption software
No automatic "Shadow" copies of your documents
No Remote Desktop
No advanced group policy editor
Inability to run UNIX-based applications (through SUA)
No support for dual CPU's (2 physical processors) or 128GB of memory

Ultimate's Advantages
Ultimate "extras", which could include games and special utilities
BitLocker hard drive encryption software
Advanced complete system backup tool
Windows Media Center with Xbox 360 capabilities
Same business apps as included in the Business edition
Automatic "Shadow" copies of your documents
Remote Desktop
Advanced group policy editor
Ability to run UNIX-based applications (through SUA)
Support for dual CPU's or 128GB of memory
Encrypting File System (EFS) support
Support for resyncing files for getting work done while offline

The highlighted features may influence gaming capabilities. However, the Home editions are more VFM. As newer quad procs starts to show themselves, and faster RAM chips are invented, Ultimate will be likely to be preferred.
Actually this is a tricky question. :S Anything can't be said for sure until the DX10 thing becomes mainstream. :)

(Taken from a few sources). :ashamed:

Ultimate "extras", which could include games and special utilities

Support for dual CPU's or 128GB of memory

both of them are quiet useless

and so are these
No Remote Desktop

as for the backup tool, any decent freeware one >>>> the default one.
for a more comprehensive comparision, see this table

Which Vista Edition is Right for You?: The Vista Editions

It includes the superb computer backup tool, media center, Ultimate extras, business applications

No Remote Desktop

I agree that for may purposes Vista Ultimate may be a better choice (I run Ultimate myself), however... in context to the original question.......

My friend wants to buy vista only for Dx10 gaming.

No offense but I do not think any of these features would be of any particular use for the task needed. :)

Enough said, we are all entitled to our own opinions, and if you feel this way, then it is your prerogative to do so :D

ye you dont always have to have the best.dual 8800gtx arent gonna do you much good if all you only play runescape,cept for the ridiculous electricity bill at the end of the month.

at any rate,its still your decision,bro :)

Back