Smart bulb Wifi

ashish

Adept
I'm looking forward to a buy a wifi rgb smart bulb to play with but confused on some factors.
Noob here so excuse for silly questions.

1. Will it fit in existing holder sockets of regular cfl/led bulbs we got at home? Or do I need to order any connector for this to fit in existing holders.
  2. Via app can we program the bulb to change to a specific color during night and evening?
  3. Also, can we control its luminous intensity? I mean if I buy a 15w bulb can I dim it via the app to illuminate it dimmer at around 3 watt during bed time?
  4. Finally, which brand to go for wrt to service, durability and android app configuration?

Last edited:
I got a smart bulb for my bedside lamp.

I needed to install Mi Home app for the initial setup and integration with Alexa and after that I uninstalled Mi Home and have been controlling it with voice commands to my Echo.

Seems pretty expensive but we nerds go for some novelty items sometimes.

P.S. I turn the bedside lamp to 50% brightness with red colour after 11 PM to minimize the blue light effect.

I went through the links and got some basic info.
But none of the brands are avaliable in India. Philips is there but tseems they got only white ones.

I saw this syska ones and very confused as 9w costs too cheap than 7w. I wonder why so?
Wait for any Amazon or Flipkart Shopping Festival (if you can wait and I doubt with current crisis - how they will undertake), you will find better deals with combo offers (either Google Home or Amazon Alexa) and when they sell it as a combo - you have an option to use smart speakers to dim/change light color and so on to control the features via voice only (like what @Marcus Fenix has worked on with his Echo)

In short smart bulbs are for the rich and spendthrift.
This is my opinion.
What so rich about it? Its surely doesn't cost that much right as one can get it for few bucks a well.

Wait for any Amazon or Flipkart Shopping Festival (if you can wait and I doubt with current crisis - how they will undertake), you will find better deals with combo offers (either Google Home or Amazon Alexa) and when they sell it as a combo - you have an option to use smart speakers to dim/change light color and so on to control the features via voice only (like what @Marcus Fenix has worked on with his Echo)
I dont want to waste on alexa etc. I dont plan to use them as not interested at all.

Just control the bulb via the manufacturer app only if you go for a non-generic brand.

I have a generic smart plug for my Raspberry pi as well as its tucked away in a hard to reach corner controlled by Alexa as well. I used the app only for the initial setup and uninstalled it aftewards as well.

I am icky about these generic Chinese smart home apps as I don't know what kind of data they are harvesting from my phone. Alexa acts as a sandbox for this stuff in my case.

What so rich about it? Its surely doesn't cost that much right as one can get it for few bucks a well.

I dont want to waste on alexa etc. I dont plan to use them as not interested at all.
I thought that the whole setup of smart bulb includes Alexa which is not for me. Which makes the whole setup costing around 10k or more if we purchase more than one bulb.
This is why in my opinion it's a rich man's indulgence.

I got Syska along with Echo Dot. After a week's time I got bored with it. Just using it as ordinary LED. Maybe if we have series of bulbs to control in different rooms it might be interesting.

I thought that the whole setup of smart bulb includes Alexa which is not for me. Which makes the whole setup costing around 10k or more if we purchase more than one bulb.
This is why in my opinion it's a rich man's indulgence.
I already mentioned that I need only a single bulb. And no ways I'm going to lit my entire house with it, cant invest so much.
Post automatically merged:

I got Syska along with Echo Dot. After a week's time I got bored with it. Just using it as ordinary LED. Maybe if we have series of bulbs to control in different rooms it might be interesting.
Which syska model and what watt? Can you provide the link?

I have 2 xiaomi/yee bulbs yellow/white versions, they are generally appear to be built better then all of the indian and other chinese bulbs. I also have a philips zhirui/xiaomi bulb which only works with MI Chinese servers. Sometimes due to routing issues all the way to chinese servers, I am unable to adjust the settings, initially the same problem was there with the Yee but now it has a option to work with just home network.

The drawback is that they consume around 1.2 to 1.3watt in stand by. All these wifi devices put a strain on the wifi router, which may cause wifi to crash, happened on my netgear R7000. Not so yet on the R7800.

Somehow i missed this thread. Xiaomi Led is working great for me as reported here.

@adder I disabled internet access to the Xiaomi blub, everything works great using Lan control.
Post automatically merged:

What is Syska based on, Wifi or Zigbee?

Have been using a couple of Wipro smart led bulbs and Mi ones. App wise Mi is better. Wipro although the bulb is good, app is buggy.

Both give you the option to control the level of illumination, color and saturation.

I read that the rgb colors only emit at 3w and not full 7w/ 9w.
Is there any such rgb bulb which works at full potential without compromising on wattage?

I'm looking forward to a buy a wifi rgb smart bulb to play with but confused on some factors.
Noob here so excuse for silly questions.

1. Will it fit in existing holder sockets of regular cfl/led bulbs we got at home? Or do I need to order any connector for this to fit in existing holders.
  2. Via app can we program the bulb to change to a specific color during night and evening?
  3. Also, can we control its luminous intensity? I mean if I buy a 15w bulb can I dim it via the app to illuminate it dimmer at around 3 watt during bed time?
  4. Finally, which brand to go for wrt to service, durability and android app configuration?

I am using Wipro Garnet 9W smart bulb Check here, answering based on experience with it.
1. You can fit it to existing holders. Just make sure to buy B22 one.
2. Wipro had IFTTT feature. So i assume you can program it to switch on to specific color at specific time. (there are some presets also)
3. Yes you can control luminosity to all levels for all colors.
4. I went for wipro coz it was the cheapest option i.e. Rs 500 in sale. So far, 4-5 month usage experience is good and app interface is nice. If price is not constraint there are various options to explore.

Back