Smart phone might get costly

Today, I read an article about govt. going tough on Chinese products. There was mention about anti-dumping duty for hardened glass. These are products like Corning Gorilla glass. Most likely, the mobiles using hardened glass might get costly due to this move.

I read the same article. I think this is the article you are referring to on economic times

Same newspaper has another article on how customs is holding up solar panels by terming them motors cause they have gears in them.

edit: corrected link.

anyway, we need to turn the screw on china imo. they keep taking pakistan's side and blocks anything india wants in security council. people should stop buying chinese goods. even if it means buying substandard indian goods we should buy it. it wont be possible till companies stop buying chinese goods and rebranding them under indian names first. people should stop buying from such companies.

Last edited:
anyway, we need to turn the screw on china imo. they keep taking pakistan's side and blocks anything india wants in security council. people should stop buying chinese goods. even if it means buying substandard indian goods we should buy it.
I don't think you should do this

there are very little quality indian goods. correct me if i'm wrong. All the goods like tv's, microwaves, wm's, cars etc are made by japanese or korean companies here. Everyone who bought when the product was new got imported items. After a year or two they got low quality made in india items with same brand. Indians don't give a hoot to minor details. So we get crap items out of good companies run by crap indian management.

there are very little quality indian goods. correct me if i'm wrong. All the goods like tv's, microwaves, wm's, cars etc are made by japanese or korean companies here. Everyone who bought when the product was new got imported items. After a year or two they got low quality made in india items with same brand. Indians don't give a hoot to minor details. So we get crap items out of good companies run by crap indian management.

@adventureguy is right on this. It will not make sense. Secondly, they will still import the chinese stuff and rebrand with CKD or SKD SKUs. Rather, we need a proper make in india program, which will certify the same.

@vivek.krishnan, even the isi /bis standards are low quality. certificates mean nothing when people buy the inspector (through presents etc) coming to inspect stuff. even the iso2000 or whatever standards are just certificates for sale.

I don't think we can expect good standards from govt. most political parties get money from the top companies. naturally, laws and standards will favor the companies more than citizens.
Even if the govt was free from private companies influence, the people working there don't have any sense of what good standards mean. They don't have any common sense in the least imo. If they had common sense, out cities would be built smarter. All our cities were just villages 30-50 years back. At the most, only roads have been widened. Absolutely no management to green spaces, crowding etc has been given thought for. Even the new city planning people are so retarded that they had made plans to destroy heritage structures around Mumbai. The plans had to be redone after a huge public outcry on it. This is just the city dept. Every dept is run by fools like these. I don't expect such people to give any thought towards standards when they themselves don't care about anything.

Agreed! Its all political and in the name od development and advancement only is happening and no major made in india.
The bjp and modi just wants indians to buy indian goods but the quality is very low substandard and costly and our aam janta wants cake in price of bean.
First government must bloom industry and make it to the international mark and only then will janata be wise to accept so called make in india products.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is nowadays, even if you want to buy Indian goods, they aren't available. Like, in electrical lighting for Diwalli, there are only Chinese lighting available. However, this time, there was an India made lighting in a shop which I went to. It cost a bit more, but the wire was of good quality, and the lighting itself looked good. I bought it gladly. But yes, I did buy Chinese lighting too, coz they are just damn cheap, and you do need lighting.

So many toys nowadays are China made. My two year old niece had a birthday recently.. all her gifts are Chinese toys, and with stupid sounds.

Heck, even our Indian Gods idols are now being made in China. China has infused into everything. Unless our Indian vendors come up with something, this won't change.

Even in smart phone market, Chinese companies have captured the market. Everywhere in markets I see shops with big Vivo or Oppo banner. OnePlus, Vivo, Oppo, Lenovo, Xiaomi, even Motorola... all are Chinese now. And these are selling like hot cakes.

Even if you want to buy Indian products, there are no options. And the cost of Chinese items is so low... people will buy them.. including us.

It's quite a bad situation. And it isn't just in India, this is world wide. If you buy something from US too, it will most probably be Chinese.

True. And given the hell of taxes we pay our govt forces us to buy made in India stuff which is pricy and most of the time aint available or doesn't mfg alternative to hell no of chinese thingy.
So to save on pricing we are left with to go with made in china as made in others is already costly.

There is not a single software that is Indian from software super power. While there are a lot of well appreciated Chinese software like 360 Total Security, UC Browser, Maxthon and a lot of small ones.

There is not a single software that is Indian from software super power. While there are a lot of well appreciated Chinese software like 360 Total Security, UC Browser, Maxthon and a lot of small ones.

This is a very interesting point, and indicates more deep rooted issues like entrepreneurship, the so called ease of doing business, remuneration etc. The list is way too long. You just opened a Pandora's Box man...

Last edited by a moderator:

Well appreciated? People who use them have no idea of what they are doing, they are practically giving them their details to get hacked.

The thing is, they work. And are popular as well. Even Kaspersky is accused of providing backdoor for espoinage.

BS. Thats like saying, Quick Heal is a good AV. The reality, as a person who deals with IT, the Chinese stuff are not capable of stopping zero days, let alone many of the normal malware.

Kaspersky, the case is different. But yes, we will not be renewing KES when it expires.

When dealing with chinese software, it should be taken for granted that chinese govt can see your data if they want. this applies to everything, xiaomi, huawei, Uc browser, oneplus etc.

The problem is nowadays, even if you want to buy Indian goods, they aren't available. Like, in electrical lighting for Diwalli, there are only Chinese lighting available. However, this time, there was an India made lighting in a shop which I went to. It cost a bit more, but the wire was of good quality, and the lighting itself looked good. I bought it gladly. But yes, I did buy Chinese lighting too, coz they are just damn cheap, and you do need lighting.

So many toys nowadays are China made. My two year old niece had a birthday recently.. all her gifts are Chinese toys, and with stupid sounds.

Heck, even our Indian Gods idols are now being made in China. China has infused into everything. Unless our Indian vendors come up with something, this won't change.

Even in smart phone market, Chinese companies have captured the market. Everywhere in markets I see shops with big Vivo or Oppo banner. OnePlus, Vivo, Oppo, Lenovo, Xiaomi, even Motorola... all are Chinese now. And these are selling like hot cakes.

Even if you want to buy Indian products, there are no options. And the cost of Chinese items is so low... people will buy them.. including us.

It's quite a bad situation. And it isn't just in India, this is world wide. If you buy something from US too, it will most probably be Chinese.
I hear some political party recently imported election props and material from China. Despite promoting make in India.
[emoji16][emoji23]

I hear some political party recently imported election props and material from China. Despite promoting make in India.
[emoji16][emoji23]

Yes, i heard they distributed make in india promo materials at a make in india press event on pen drives made in china...

This shows how much China has invaded into the market... you are bound to come across their products somewhere or the other. Heck, now even the vegetable seeds are coming from China. There are now small cucumbers, which the vegetable vendors say are from the Chinese seeds, which are being grown in India.

China's products have invaded every country, and in every section of the market... small or big.

In African countries, they are building the infrastructure. Even in India, Chinese company had applied for some major infrastructure project. Thankfully, I think the government avoided it tactfully, and gave it to Japan perhaps. I don't remember the details.

I am not a fan of Trump and dislike him a lot, but regarding China, sometimes he speaks truth... that Chinese are hurting trade of USA, and it's the same for other countries. He had planned to do something about it, and had told before being elected that he will do something. But, even he cannot do it, because American companies are so dependent on Chinese goods or raw materials.... if they do something, it's going to hurt them only.

I get quite angry looking at the current situation of Chinese products. But, because of open economy, we cannot do anything about, neither can the government... they can't target products from one country alone.

It's on the people to stop buying Chinese products, but given their prices, their reach into everything, it doesn't look possible at all. Even if we don't specifically avoid Chinese products, like Chinese smart phones... we can't avoid it altogether, because China is heavily involved in Electronics too. Chances are, one of your electronics products, like mouse, keyboard, hard drive... is either manufactured there, or assembled etc.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post, that recently, near Diwali, we had handicraft exhibition here. There I was surprised to see stalls selling Chinese toys, and Chinese clothes like socks. It was really surprising how these made their way into a handicraft exhibition. How is this handicraft.. how is it Indian? That's the sad state right now.

We can only hope that somehow their economy crashes itself. That's the only hope.

Back