Storage Solutions SMART status in Mac

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Smart status in mac aint reliable as we encountered few incidents where the disk was showing perfect in mac but when fired in hard disk sentinel under Windows, its revealed its true state!
Lots of errors.
And this disk being so old + used on mac + its an ssd, its possible it might gone bad somewhere on its health.

Smart status in mac aint reliable as we encountered few incidents where the disk was showing perfect in mac but when fired in hard disk sentinel under Windows, its revealed its true state!
Lots of errors.
And this disk being so old + used on mac + its an ssd, its possible it might gone bad somewhere on its health.
I just removed my rage post.
  1. You are making unfounded claims without any reputable references
  2. You are speculating
  3. There is no reason why using a SSD running on a Mac file system would impact the life of the SSD vis-a-vis being run on a Windows FS. What kind of a weird claim is that even? Have you ever worked on a Mac before?
  4. Who is WE that have tested these MANY Mac HDDs before? Do people usually remove their Mac HDDs and sell them to you?
  5. Why are you coming to crap my thread without ANY reason or basis to back to your unfounded claims?
  6. I have sold multiple HDDs before after verifying the SMART status on both Mac and Windows, they both show the SAME. None of the people whom I have sold to have EVER complained of a hard disk failing on them.
  7. You have no idea the condition my SSD is in or whether I was using it for Windows before this? But you just came to shit on my thread.
So kindly remove your post and refrain from making unfounded claims and giving unsolicited advice.

Last edited:
Well I'm an ex employee of Apple India so dont try to educate me about apples and grapes.
We had several hard drives gathering dust in our shelve in office. Reason: Mac smart status issues, undetectable in mac, xyz operative issues.
Many of them just 4yrs or lesser used though out of warranty. While some were in warranty but unfortunately not covered internationally.
These drives were to be scrapped only until we tested them under Windows many of them were shockingly working just perfect and fine though some had bad health but still were detectable and could do further good.

And then for those who showed good health on mac but still had some boot or random issues, when tested under Windows it was found that the health or smart status was far negative as opposite of mac.

Also, I never said anything for your disk specific for negative but given its age it's quite natural to be double sure.

I just wanted to make sure you try it somehow in windows under hard disk sentinel to be double sure thats it.
If it hurt your ego its your problem altogether. As a buyer anyone can ask for further tests.

Finally better dont argue with me on this point as I had a very good practical experience of mac. If you cant or dont want to agree its upto you. You go rage or be inside some cage its your choice, I'm done with my explanations.

And for your sale I'm least interested in crapping at least not for some just 60gb old ssd.

And btw your long list of anxiety questions itself shows your insecurity in your item.

Last edited:
OP seems to take this very emotionally or personally.
What @nRiTeCh suggested is correct from the angle of a customer. No need to feel offended about it.
Also he didnt stated that yours is a guaranteed bad disk but just some possibility which is quite natural given the the age of the disk.

SSDs are also prone to bad sectors and at times frequent than a traditional hard drive. So there is no harm getting a second opinion and cheeking in another tool. Like in windows, chkdsk may show everything is ok but still the disk got some issue which is only revealed under tools like HD Tune or Sentinel.

And now dont start apple vs windows war as we all know when both of these fail its only linux where we get an ounce of hope of getting bad disks detected.

Well I'm an ex employee of Apple India so dont try to educate me about apples and grapes.
We had several hard drives gathering dust in our shelve in office. Reason: Mac smart status issues, undetectable in mac, xyz operative issues.
Many of them just 4yrs or lesser used though out of warranty. While some were in warranty but unfortunately not covered internationally.
These drives were to be scrapped only until we tested them under Windows many of them were shockingly working just perfect and fine though some had bad health but still were detectable and could do further good.

And then for those who showed good health on mac but still had some boot or random issues, when tested under Windows it was found that the health or smart status was far negative as opposite of mac.

Also, I never said anything for your disk specific for negative but given its age it's quite natural to be double sure.

I just wanted to make sure you try it somehow in windows under hard disk sentinel to be double sure thats it.
If it hurt your ego its your problem altogether. As a buyer anyone can ask for further tests.

Finally better dont argue with me on this point as I had a very good practical experience of mac. If you cant or dont want to agree its upto you. You go rage or be inside some cage its your choice, I'm done with my explanations.

And for your sale I'm least interested in crapping at least not for some just 60gb old ssd.

And btw your long list of anxiety questions itself shows your insecurity in your item.
Okay. So basically, you have no/zero credible sources to back your claims but you want us to believe you based on "your" experience? Sure, you may be an ex-Apple India employee as you conveniently claim to be. Doesn't make you an authority on every thing Mac. I could have worked at Microsoft, it sure as hell wouldn't make me an authority on everything Windows.

You sir have made NO/ZERO explanations as to the basis of your claims. The crux of your post is, I'm an ex-Apple employee, I know how Macs work, don't argue, I know best.

I have zero interest in arguing with you. I only replied to your post on my thread because you came to trash my thread for no damn reason. Good day to you. In the future, don't go trashing someone's thread.

You could have very easily asked me post a SMART status from Windows, but no, you HAD to write that my SSD might possibly have health issues. It reeks of malicious intent.

OP seems to take this very emotionally or personally.
What @nRiTeCh suggested is correct from the angle of a customer. No need to feel offended about it.
Also he didnt stated that yours is a guaranteed bad disk but just some possibility which is quite natural given the the age of the disk.

SSDs are also prone to bad sectors and at times frequent than a traditional hard drive. So there is no harm getting a second opinion and cheeking in another tool. Like in windows, chkdsk may show everything is ok but still the disk got some issue which is only revealed under tools like HD Tune or Sentinel.

And now dont start apple vs windows war as we all know when both of these fail its only linux where we get an ounce of hope of getting bad disks detected.
I would have had absolutely no issues if he would have simply asked that I post a SMART status from Windows. BUT, what did he do? Just go read his post again. His whole post reeks of bias and he goes to length of claiming that my SSD may have health issues.

He did NOT suggest anything. He tried to malign my sale. Short and simple. If he was an interested party, he may have asked me for more information or even if he would have asked nicely, I would have considered. But his post was malicious right from the get go. He provided zero sources to back his claim and still doesn't have any beyond his "experience" at Apple and with Macs. Oh well.. I'm done here. Arguing on the internet is exhausting.

Last edited:
Back