Smart Watch Suggestions Needed Please

capper

Recruit
I am a Samsung phone user, currently with an S8+. I want to get a smart watch that is compatible with it, has a good heart rate monitor and sleep tracking function at the very least. I don't want to spend a fortune; I would prefer to keep it under CAD$200 - if possible. I would love to have a watch with stand alone (LTE) capacity, not just blue tooth. So, when I don't have the phone with me, it will operate by itself out of blue tooth range. But I have a feeling that that (stand alone) function would put me at around $400 or more.

Any suggestions as to my best option(s)? Obviously I have looked at the Samsung watches although once you get into the good ones, they get very expensive. I have also looked at some of the Fitbit models (like Versas and Charges). Any unknown makers that have a nice product worth considering. Maybe one of the Samsung or Fitbit models would suffice for my needs?

My priorities are a good heart rate monitor, sleep tracking, and being able to work well with my phone.

THANKS

Hello,

I have used Fitbit blaze, Amazfit Stratos 2, Amazfit BIP (last two years) and finally settled for Huawei GT. I am happy with GT and would recommend for your conditions. Quick summary is as follows

BIP : +Long battery life(3 weeks), +cheap watch with a GPS tracker, +easy to change faces, -small and not so readable display, -LCD screen started displaying white patches in an year, -not so good look, - limited number of exercises
Stratos 2: +Many sports mode, +Fairly accurate GPS and heart beat, +mixed feeling on display, +easy to change faces, +install new apps, - 4 days battery life, -bit heavy and bulky feeling
Fitbit blaze: +Good display, +many excersize modes, -No GPS, -3 days battery life,-minimal number of watch faces
GT: +Amazing OLED display, +1 week of battery life, Very stylish in male wrist, +Accurate GPS and heart rate, +Many sports mode, -only one extra face possible at time and pain to tweak the software for face change

PS: Average use: Wear all the time, Heartbeat on all the time, sleep monitor on, 1 hour of walk per day
PS2:BIP, Blaze and GT: Bluetooth only; Stratos: Bluetooth and wifi. None of them are LTE

I bought GT on amazon sale for INR 8000. It is amazing value for money at that price. I hope huawei provides an easy way of changing watch faces at some time.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask here.

I really appreciate the detailed info. I took a look at the Huawei GT. It looks like a beautiful watch. I am trying to do my share of research before making a decision. It appears to me that the Samsung watches are really nice. However, a model that doesn't have too many drawbacks would be extremely expensive. The other solid options might be a Fitbit Versa or Fitbit Charge.

I am debating whether to get a cheaper but good functioning watch primarily for just fitness. The other option is to get a nice multi-purpose watch that I can use well for all-day everyday use. If I were to get a very inexpensive fitness watch, I suppose it wouldn't be a bad thing. Then in the future I could eventually get a really nice LTE watch. Not sure what to do!

I really appreciate the detailed info. I took a look at the Huawei GT. It looks like a beautiful watch. I am trying to do my share of research before making a decision. It appears to me that the Samsung watches are really nice. However, a model that doesn't have too many drawbacks would be extremely expensive. The other solid options might be a Fitbit Versa or Fitbit Charge.

I am debating whether to get a cheaper but good functioning watch primarily for just fitness. The other option is to get a nice multi-purpose watch that I can use well for all-day everyday use. If I were to get a very inexpensive fitness watch, I suppose it wouldn't be a bad thing. Then in the future I could eventually get a really nice LTE watch. Not sure what to do!

I was in the same boat and wanted everything even at a premium. Then after using the above watches, I realized that the most important factor to consider is battery. Otherwise, you will fed up in charging everyday or every otherday (Apple watch, Samsung watches and so on). Though it might look easy, it is a night mare, especially during the travel. If you are NOT using GT for exercise and sleep, it easily gives two weeks of battery.

If you can afford a bit more, you could consider GT2 or GT2e as well. GT family of watches comes with firstbeat algorithms, in case you are fitness freak. Continue your research and enjoy !

My dream watch -> Affordable, wear OS based, one month of battery, AMLED with a lot of watchfaces, stylish, reliable GPS and heart rate. but looks like it will be take an year or two for this kind of watch to come to market.

Back