Smarteefi Android/IOS WiFi Smart Switch, 16A

blr_p

Skilled
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B06XGKQJKZ

Picked a couple of these up to control water pumps and quite happy with them

No more running out to switch on and again to switch off

Company is based in Ghaziabad, UP

Had trouble getting the switches to get onto wifi and the problem turned out to be router settings. Support was excellent.

mVs6haC.jpg

How this is different from the sonoff switches which has support for voice assistants like alexa, google assistant apart from the android apps? And sonoff switches are very cheap as well...

This one ?

https://www.amazon.in/Version-Sonoff-Consumption_Work-thermostat-Automation/dp/B074L2BJFC

Remember its the 16A to handle higher power

Price looks similar guess they are a competitor. Reviews didn't say much so i went with the other. I wanted a manual switch to be present as well. So it could also be operated without any smartphone. Can't see such a switch on that sonoff model ?

Consider the design too, the smarteefi can fit into an existing plug point so its neater. My house doesn't have face plates like that so i had t get a little box to stick both in.

Alexa btw is only free for 6 months

I don't use any voice assistants, the app allows for schedules and i set it manually when i want and it goes off by itself

Since my case is a pump i am always around when it works as in case there is a power failure while its still running, and power returns say an hour later, the switch remembers it was on at power failure and just runs non stop. it's an exception but quite plausible test case

I've since learnt this is actually common behaviour with these smart switches. Fine with say a geyser that turns itself off by design, not fine with a pump

The one thing to keep in mind with 'smart' anything device is what happens if the company that provided them goes belly up. In the case of smartefi, i have a manual switch and i can control the switch through a phone within wifi range. Schedules however are on their server. So the switch will still be operational but with reduced capacity[DOUBLEPOST=1515471473][/DOUBLEPOST]Check out sonoffs app and see what the comments are like
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.coolkit&hl=en

Now see those with smarteefi
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smarteefi.smarteefi&hl=en

Tell me which you would buy

The support was excellent when i was trying to configure these things to work and figuring out why took hours.

Last edited:
Good to know local provider for smart devices... But Sonoff 16A ones are around 650~700 rs if you get it from aliexpress. I got for 10A(costed me 400 each) ones for my home and connected few lights. Now i control from alexa(echo), google assitant... and there is no subscription model for this. In my case i connected this without replacing existing switches, so that i can control manually too if required. Again this has scheduling options as well.

Which echo do you have ? when i look on amazon surprised to see its an invite only product.

Who are they kidding ? need an invitation to spend my own money. hah!

i use echo plus, but these smart switches will work with any echo devices, google home and google assistant in the mobile. There is a separate thread running here for echo devices.

ok, i think i will skip the echo for now. Seems like a great thing to have if you have children around.

To what have you attached your switches to. Idea of smart lights is expensive. Smart Switches is better. Retrofit instead of upgrade. But, how many devices can you individually control from one sonoff switch

i've bought four basic wifi switches(10A) and each costed 400rs. Connected this between the existing switch and the tube light as bridge. Basically the two wires from the tubelight is connected to output of sonoff and switch output is connected as input to the sonoff. They also have 4 channel switches which can control 4 devices.

ok, so its one switch per light in that case. Do you find it was a good idea ?

With pumps that need to run every day and for different durations, sometimes one, other times both then the headache of timing it works well. Easily programmable

Or say you want the geyser to come on at a fixed time every day

i'm not sure whether i've understood correctly about one switch per device... it should be like that even if you go for smarteefi... i wont be surprised all these devices uses same wifi chip module internally.... the way i see is, each device needs the input and that input needs to be controlled based on timing or some sensor or manual user input...

Regarding timing, as i said, these are available in sonoff as well.. like switch on geyser everday morning 6am and swtich off 6.15am... in fact they also have switches with temperature sensor as well.. I assume these sensor supported switches even support of switching off geyser once predefined temperature is reached.

Well you bought 4 switches. So how many lights do you control with one switch ?

smarteefi can control a maximum of two devices. So i could attach both pumps to one switch.

This isn't suitable as both would come on and go off at the same time in that case.

I need the flexibility to run either pump alone or both so had to get two switches

My requirement was 4 individual single channel switch, since i had to control 4 different lights in 4 different rooms, that too i need the connectivity near the lights.. so i went with that. if u want 2 channel or 4 channel, then u can go for that, since these can control 2 or 4 devices again with scheduling and independently.

If you can search sonoff in aliexpress or go itead.cc website, then u will get an idea of their products and features.

Even i want to get 16A switch with temperature sensor, so i can schedule geyser everyday and switch off automatically after temperature threshold reached, but as of now not getting time :(

I have several Sonoffs including bulbs which run on Tasmota firmware and controlled using Openhab. Work like a charm.
What are your use cases?

Mine was simple, pumps have to be put on that too for different times and not each every day. Then they have to be switched off. The pumps are located outside the house. Sometimes we discover there isn't water late or very early. A smart switch operated remotely via a phone is a god send in such a situation. The support the company i bought from offered was excellent, enterprise level

Now i can't think of a similar benefit with lights and smart switches that have to be operated in a particular way every day for a home

What are your use cases?

Turn on TV and speakers when htpc boots up, and switch them off when htpc switches off. TH device for monitoring temperature. Nodemcu for motion detection and daylight detection coupled with Sonoff bulb to automatically turn it on and off.

Switches device on/off using a phone is only a first step in automation. You have simply moved the switch from the wall to your phone. What you need to aim for is full automation, i.e on/off the pumps automatically by detecting water level etc. That is true automation.

Turn on TV and speakers when htpc boots up, and switch them off when htpc switches off. TH device for monitoring temperature. Nodemcu for motion detection and daylight detection coupled with Sonoff bulb to automatically turn it on and off.
ok i can see how this works

Switches device on/off using a phone is only a first step in automation. You have simply moved the switch from the wall to your phone.
Right, and fully enjoying the convenience. Going beyond will depend on a compelling use case. I'm not seeing the need right away for an integrated solution, all smart devices hooked up to a common network. That will matter if they talk to each other. I see people doing all sorts of fancy things here, but the trick is getting it to work for you and the rest of the people in the house

What you need to aim for is full automation, i.e on/off the pumps automatically by detecting water level etc. That is true automation.
Funnily enough, this exact solution has existed for many years now using sensors. Didn't require a phone at all and was self contained. The major downside is if the sensors fail at any time and they do if not regularly maintained your pump can end up running and not shutting off. If you don't catch it you waste a lot of water and burn out your pump. So I was advised to avoid this solution as solutions offered to date weren't reliable. In my case the overhead tanks aren't easily accessible either. Come t think of it we did have something like this many years back, all i remember is the confusion when it broke down and decided never again

So removing this intelligence as well as dependency and moving to the switch is simpler. There is still the exception where if power cuts out after the switch comes on it remembers it was on and will continue running indefinitely (!) when the power resumes, so way i deal with this is only run the pumps when some one is present. This is key when dealing with anything critical because other house members aren't always able to deal with break downs. The end result is the automated system is removed and we're back to manual

Last edited:
You can always override the default settings for power on situation... At least this is the case with sonoff... Always on, always off and remember last state... These three options are possible.

Yes, there is a manual over ride. Can even check status on the phone via the internet but it isn't fail safe. Best if some one is around

Yes, there is a manual over ride. Can even check status on the phone via the internet but it isn't fail safe. Best if some one is around

Why are you running the iTead firmware? It is crap!

First, thing you need to do is install Tasmota firmware and setup openhab or home-assistant. The iTead servers and internet will not be needed!

Why are you running the iTead firmware? It is crap!

First, thing you need to do is install Tasmota firmware and setup openhab or home-assistant. The iTead servers and internet will not be needed!
Sorry, i'm not running a sonoff switch. Am using the one mentioned at top

Back