Smartphone around 20k,please assist.

Sahibosaurus

Disciple
Okay so im coming to India next month,and im looking for a decent smartphone to replace my w705.The only reason i dont like w705 is because its not a smart phone.

My budget is ~20k

Should I go for an Android phone,symbian or a Windows Mobile phone.

Things i need : good looks and UI (so that rules out samsung and LG),wifi,GPS,3.5 mm jack,a full QWERTY keyboard (either physical,or virtual touchscreen),good free apps,and a touchscreen is preferred over a non-touch screen,but not essential.

What phone should i go for?

Im looking at(in order of preference) : HTC Hero,N97 mini,HTC Tattoo,HTC touch2,and E72.

One major gripe against Winmo is that Windows Phone 7 is coming and after that the current windows mobile handsets will be outdated.

I'm open to suggestions.

Can I find the Hero and the mini in around 21k if i shop around?Univercell lists them both as being 22k,so im guessing by mid-march ill be able to find for less.

Wraith said:
Give the samsung galaxy spica a look. Its android for about 13k

The galaxy has the outdated android version and the UI is disgusting.Its not going to get an upgrade to 2.1 either(like hero).It also falls way below my budget bro.

The nexus one is new(bugs) and im guessing,goes way above what i can afford.Its not even available in India or in New Zealand,where I am currently.

Sahibosaurus said:
The galaxy has the outdated android version and the UI is disgusting.Its not going to get an upgrade to 2.1 either(like hero).It also falls way below my budget bro.

The nexus one is new(bugs) and im guessing,goes way above what i can afford.Its not even available in India or in New Zealand,where I am currently.
The Galaxy i.e I7500 and Galaxy Spica i.e I5700 are totally different phones. The Spica also known as Galaxy Portal in the UK is already shipping with Android 2.0 and the spica with 1.5 is rumored to get the update soon.

Wraith said:
The Galaxy i.e I7500 and Galaxy Spica i.e I5700 are totally different phones. The Spica also known as Galaxy Portal in the UK is already shipping with Android 2.0 and the spica with 1.5 is rumored to get the update soon.

Hm,my bad then.But i dont think i can get a samsung(as i said in the OP).If I do get an android i might as well get one with Sense UI on it,dont you think?

@manu1991

Storm doesn't have wi fi(which is a deal breaker)and is slightly old.and the 9700 bold is really expensive :(

I think HTC Hero for 22k-23k is the best bet. Other option would be Samsung B7610 Omnia PRO (slider qwerty). Both are amazing phones. Inside 20k, my suggestion would be Nokia N72 for 19k-20k.

[quote name='Sahibosaurus']The galaxy has the outdated android version and the UI is disgusting.Its not going to get an upgrade to 2.1 either(like hero).It also falls way below my budget bro.

Galaxy Spica I5700 will get the upgrade to 2.1 in April. :eek:hyeah:

I guess the only problem with galaxy/galaxy lite is the 128mb RAM , even if it works fine with Android 1.5 , maybe it will be slowed down by 2.1 . HTC Tattoo would be a better bet in that case .

If you want non-touch device then get N86- the best non-touch phone till date..period.. For touch screens there are a hell lot of options to choose from.. I will advise N86 over E72 ..Go for E72 if u only need qwerty badly :)

manu1991 said:
I guess the only problem with galaxy/galaxy lite is the 128mb RAM , even if it works fine with Android 1.5 , maybe it will be slowed down by 2.1 . HTC Tattoo would be a better bet in that case .

the problem with the tattoo is its small size resolution so most of the apps are not supported ... spica already has 2.1 and the speed is of no issue to it

Sahibosaurus said:
so i can get a samsung galaxy and put htc hero's rom on it?and have the same experience?

HTC's SenseUI can be heavy on Galaxy's low RAM (128MB). My suggestion is to either go for E72 now or wait and get HTC Hero. I heard that HTC Hero will soon get Android 2.1 update. And with 512MB RAM and 512MB ROM, this phone can be real fun if you want to play games etc. And can be lot better for multitasking.

Back