Less than 10K Smartphone for mom!

pauldmps

Skilled
1. Budget?
A: INR 0-7k. Lesser the better.

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: 5" or whatever size that gives good readability.

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android or Windows. I think Windows will be better with lesser functions and smoother UI.

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 3G is sufficient.

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No Micromax, Spice, etc.

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: Mostly calling & learning to use a smartphone i.e. camera, whatsapp etc.

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: Dual sim is a must.

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: Need ASAP, so prefer offline unless there is some very good deal online.

9. Any other requirements?
A: Will prefer if camera has flash.

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: Lumia 535 DS. Can anyone confirm if there are still touch problems?

Moto E has seriously outdated hardware in the price range when compared to Lenovo A6000+ & Redmi 2, etc. Plus its internal memory fills out causing issues.
I have almost made up my mind on Lumia 535. Just need to know if it still has the touch issue or any other issues.

Well, I got the Zenfone 5 for my mother exchanging her old phone for an effective price of 7k (the offer isn't around anymore) and she's quite happy with it. But then she was already an android user so the platform was familiar to her and everyone at my home is an android user. Go for the windows phone if you yourself are a windows phone user (or at least know the platform) which would then make her learning experience easier.
I had a tough time finding settings which my old neighbor sought for a windows device he bought. And then he wanted some music and videos transferred which i found wasn't as easy as was on android. But then this was some time back and the windows platform was still lagging in features. I guess things are way better now, so this can be a good choice. Some other user might update about the possible issue about which you are seeking clarification.

1. Budget?
A: INR 0-7k. Lesser the better.

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: 5" or whatever size that gives good readability.

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android or Windows. I think Windows will be better with lesser functions and smoother UI.

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 3G is sufficient.

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No Micromax, Spice, etc.

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: Mostly calling & learning to use a smartphone i.e. camera, whatsapp etc.

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: Dual sim is a must.

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: Need ASAP, so prefer offline unless there is some very good deal online.

9. Any other requirements?
A: Will prefer if camera has flash.

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: Lumia 535 DS. Can anyone confirm if there are still touch problems?

Moto G 2nd Gen for 7500. After exchange 6000. At FlipKart.

Would have suggested the Lumia 638 considering it has a better SD400 and 4G with a better clearblack display.

But I don't understand how the 535 DS is better than the Moto E 2nd Gen (4G). 535 has an inferior processor and a poorer display quality. Hope the touch issues have now been fixed by FW updates.

From whatever research I've done online, the touch issue was hardware related and software updates did not completely solve the problem. Newer batches don't seem to suffer from the issue. Let it get delivered, I'll know for sure.
I know it has inferior hardware but its WP not android. WP still runs smoothly in that hardware. Android with less than 2GB RAM should now be avoided.

From whatever research I've done online, the touch issue was hardware related and software updates did not completely solve the problem. Newer batches don't seem to suffer from the issue. Let it get delivered, I'll know for sure.
I know it has inferior hardware but its WP not android. WP still runs smoothly in that hardware. Android with less than 2GB RAM should now be avoided.

Well, I have both moto e and moto g. Doesn't seem to suffer with stock android with 1GB of RAM.

Hope the issues in 535 is fixed now. Keep us posted. It has decent front camera in this range.

Back