PC Peripherals SMPS Fan Making Noise ...

Hey Guys..

My SMPS (Mercury Brand) has been making hell of a noise offlate.

I remember i unintentionally kicked my CPU, not too hard though, and since then the fan has been a pain.

Usually the fan gives a loud noise wen the system starts and it goes down in abt 15-20 min and eventually the noise dies off.

Even if the noise doesnt stops, the darn SMPS is *ready* for a meager whack on its head and everything is fine thereafter.

Needless to mention sometimes noise starts all of a sudden again. This time round the noise is very gentle in comparison but still SMPS ji can pop the surprise.

Its still in warranty, so :

1) U guys suggest that i give it for abt a week and try to get it fixed ??

considering that it takes abt a week for them get the thing done.

2) What are the chances that the problem will be fixed properly and not resurface again almost immediately (your past experience can help)

3) What are the chances that they will actually RMA it ??

(my badluck that i need to persist with this darn brand for few more months.)

The Nutjob will try to get the fan fixed ..

and i am more for a complete replacement.

These guys take hell a lot of time saying that we are looking into it and will get back to u, and they ll do some lousy quickfix job and send it back.

Needless to say u blow ur top during all this.

Usually the fan gives a loud noise wen the system starts and it goes down in abt 15-20 min and eventually the noise dies off.

i get same during winter seasons, particularly at morning when temps are bit low..

Please look at a replacement. If you do get it fixed and its not working fine, you may have a major issue with blown components in your computer. I know this is only the fan that we are talking about, but better be safe than sorry,.

Fixing fan is not good idea either change FAN/RMA psu.In long run faulty fan would fatten caps resulting instability, finally a dead PSU.

Branded replacement fan will cost you 75~100 Rs like amigo/coolermaster etc.

fixing the fan should do fine. This happens because dust gets into the fan bearings/loss of lubricants. A little bit of lubricant, and things should be back to normal :)

well .. firstly it used to take a lil whack on its head.. and it used to be fine.

Then the lil whack turned into a nice solid sock and it wd be fine..

Then it turned stubborn and strangely a feather touch bump on the front of the CPU tower was what was being required.

Sometimes it really acts like a rotten spoilt brat which wdnt answer ur call no matter what mumbo jumbo u unleashed, but after a while returns to his good ol' Curable self again.

Now with all that happy dandy scenario described .. mind givin me tips regarding how to clean this mean mutt i got ..? :)

I have an Elite 100 with the default SMPS. I have noticed in the winters, the fan makes way more noise. Is it cause the lube inside clogs up. Should I re-do as above mentioned.

I have an Elite 100 with the default SMPS. I have noticed in the winters, the fan makes way more noise. Is it cause the lube inside clogs up. Should I re-do as above mentioned.
@asingh

Yes, the advice in the link provided by greenhorn is sensible.

Do not use coconut oil - would cloud/wax up at lower temperatures very easily.

Use sewing machine oil. If you don't have some, they are easily available & cheap. Buy with small bottle that has a nozzle, for easy application. If you are not able to find a bottle with a nozzle, buy a ink dropper at any stationery shop at a grand cost of Rs. 1.00 each!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back