Snapdragon powered "always-on" laptops are here

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
Qualcomm and Microsoft together announced the first of the SD835 powered laptops - the Asus Novago PC and the HP Envy X2. Both run a variant of the Windows 10 called the Windows 10S. Most importantly, the processor is the SD835, the small chip that powers the current generation of flagship mobiles. Both devices purportedly come with a huge battery life that can last almost a week on moderate use.

This is interesting; for an average user like me who needs a laptop for basic computing and media consumption, I guess it would be quite capable.

More details here:
http://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-...is-the-future-and-its-here-today-4244349.html

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/5/16737288/microsoft-windows-10-qualcomm-arm-laptops-launch

I think it would be important to see what Windows 10S is capable of. If it can do desktop processing, media consumption and other general computing tasks without headache of compatibility, many of users can be served.

In contrast to advancements, it seems Microsoft was little ahead of time with offering Continuum on Windows 10 Mobile OS on Lumia phones. Imagine phone with same specs running Windows 10S paired with Continuum, it would be a PC in pocket in literal sense.

One more angle to this news, if these laptops are hit, Intel can get some competition after long time in entry level market.

I guess it is still doable without any involvement of Qualcomm.

Acer(swift 7)and HP(spectre 3) have been fighting on bragging rights for 'World's thinnest laptop' at close to 1cm width. The laptops have a 4.5W TDP processor which is good enough for multimedia and basic computing.

Now instead of going for bragging rights what if they make a product which serves a purpose like using the same hardware in a normal sized laptop with mammoth battery which has 2 days of battery life. I guess lot of people would be up for it.

Disclaimer: idea originally from a video by linustechtips.

Back