Software to learn SQL?

rshri

Adept
I wish to polish my SQL and PL/SQL skills. Can I practice over MS Office Access? I want to refrain from install MS SQL Server. It will be too heavy for my PC. Is there any other software alternative?

^Well I started out with MySQL and then later moved on to Oracle. You can try MySQL though, its open and free. And lot less lighter than Oracle. Not sure about access though.

rshri said:
I wish to polish my SQL and PL/SQL skills. Can I practice over MS Office Access? I want to refrain from install MS SQL Server. It will be too heavy for my PC. Is there any other software alternative?

Yes, you can practice SQL 'logic' on MS Access. You can create different types of queries using the GUI (keep them small initially), and then click on the SQL view icon. It will how you how the SQL syntax looks. Using this software you will not be able to try out SP,T-SQL, or SQL server functionality. Good tool to build SQL basics -- Select, delete, insert , update. Though remember after 2GB you will start to see latency.

Just install SQLite. Although it lacks some features, it is pretty good for practicing. If you want all the features, look into MySQL or PostgreSQL.

Back