Some help with IIT tuitions! To join or not to join?

Hey everyone!

I just gave my 10th board exams from CBSE board. I studied in Sandipani School, Nagpur and though the school was crap of the lowest order, I joined some good tuitions and studied religiously on my own. As a result, I expect good percent, certainly upwards of 85.

Now, the problem which faces me is..

What to do from here on out?

1. From my tuitions sir to my parents, over the past few weeks, I have been steadily convinced to take up tuitions for the IIT entrance exam. So, I went around searching a bit and shortlisted two... Yukti and IIT-Home.

2. I gave the entrance exam for Yukti and cleared it easily. Seeing my marks they said that i should take up IIT classes and they said that I could always step down to AIEEE if I found it too burdensome, but the vice-versa wasn't true.

3. I registered for the entrance exam to IIT-Home and it is on May 8th. but, my tuition sir and parents are saying that Yukti would be best for me, stating factors like distance from home and good staff and more.

I agree with them.

But, what i really want to know is... will I be able to do IIT? I have heard people saying that if you start preparing for IIt, you have to bury your head in books for 2 years, put in lotsa hours daily and essentially, give up everything good for the 2 years you are studying. Something like 14 hrs a day, including college and more?

I don't know whether I will be able to do that much, for two years straight....

Also, IIT wasn't my first choice, anyway. I have a personal passion for Mass Media an Journalism. But I do not know much about it. can you guys tell me more? What are the best institutes for it? How do I get in to them? Any tuitions required from 11th or not? Anything else?

Please, read the thread carefully. And try to help me out here. I am in a hopeless quandary here and don't know where to go....

I would suggest you to for for some professional career guidance. Trust me it really helps a lot..and such decisions are very important.

as far as my experience , can tell you -
There was a time when i was also in a similar situation as you, wanted to do engineering ,everyone was like IIT !! IIIT !!:ashamed:
I had joined IIT classes (Arun Roy's) ,initially it was all good..later couldn't cope up with college + IIT classes etc. and I screwed up both Boards as well as IIT JEE. :no:
(This was a case with quiet a few students in the classes)

I am not trying to demoralize you or anything..but before you take the decision ,do some research,think over it.Understand what the course is all about ,how much efforts you need to put in etc. only then decide. :)

and yeah about that 14-15 hrs studies part etc it's all bull shit..It depends on you.How fast you can grasp , logical thinking ,etc .
IIT or engineering for that matter is more about understanding of concepts,logical stuff and applying them.
(sadly this is not the case with most engg. students these days,I find them trying to mug up stuff and just clear papers to get a stamp of engineer :no:)

If you think you really want to be an engineer and have it in you ,then go for it(IIT).You need not bury yourself under a pile of books..its the quality study that matters.;)
About the passion for journalism and mass media part.that's also a really interesting field and has a good scope.
Seek professional career guidance if you are confused.:hap2:
Best of Luck !

Whatever you field you choose to do your degree in, try and get into one of the more reputed colleges for it. There are opportunities in all fields nowadays. The highest earning person in my school batch is a lawyer, not an engineer.

Personally, I think that the cram schools for IITs are more like child abuse than education but it seems the only way for an average student to get into one of those colleges.

Regarding the Journalism course I'd say its a safer bet to go for a more generic bachelor's degree course first and by the end of it, if you are still interested in Journalism then there are plenty of PG courses to go for.

lazygarfield said:
Hey everyone!

I just gave my 10th board exams from CBSE board. I studied in Sandipani School, Nagpur and though the school was crap of the lowest order, I joined some good tuitions and studied religiously on my own. As a result, I expect good percent, certainly upwards of 85.

1. From my tuitions sir to my parents, over the past few weeks, I have been steadily convinced to take up tuitions for the IIT entrance exam. So, I went around searching a bit and shortlisted two... Yukti and IIT-Home.

2. I gave the entrance exam for Yukti and cleared it easily. Seeing my marks they said that i should take up IIT classes and they said that I could always step down to AIEEE if I found it too burdensome, but the vice-versa wasn't true.

3. I registered for the entrance exam to IIT-Home and it is on May 8th. but, my tuition sir and parents are saying that Yukti would be best for me, stating factors like distance from home and good staff and more.

I agree with them.

But, what i really want to know is... will I be able to do IIT? I have heard people saying that if you start preparing for IIt, you have to bury your head in books for 2 years, put in lotsa hours daily and essentially, give up everything good for the 2 years you are studying. Something like 14 hrs a day, including college and more?

Also, IIT wasn't my first choice, anyway. I have a personal passion for Mass Media an Journalism. But I do not know much about it. can you guys tell me more? What are the best institutes for it? How do I get in to them? Any tuitions required from 11th or not? Anything else?

Please, read the thread carefully. And try to help me out here. I am in a hopeless quandary here and don't know where to go....

Personally knowing you, i think you can easily do it..
Abt journalism, i think its better to do something generic, get a perspective on life, get somewhere and then get into the field if you're interested..Cause your arguments, your thoughts make more sense and almost everything you do has more credibility..

IIT is totally defferent frm board exams , IIT require all ur mental and even physical powers to be focused at one point , it is not possible to clear it by just saying u just know the concept and u can apply it .. paper demands heavy practice and heavy practice take time .. study 14 hrs day is fun .. let me tell u that !! ;) given that ur ahead with ur coaching's rythem , during that period u'll be thinking that world is all PCM and nothing else!

if u like Mass Media and Journalism u can choose this field but before that try to think what u liked abt it u might be under illusion of smthing coz ur young ! so listening to parents is always better !!

moreover coaching institute do matter but in the end it's ur practice that decides!!

goodluck!

lazygarfield said:
Hey everyone!

I agree with them.

IIT exams over the years have started favoring hard work over shear brilliance. Brilliance is still a requirement but hard work pays off more. I can tell you my personal routine while I studied for IIT.

I got up at 4:30 went to first tuition at 6, school from 7:40 to 1:30, another tution from 2:15 to 3:30, another tuition from 4:15 to 5:30 and then studying on my own and doing assignments from 6:30 to 11-12. It is hard and quite literally drives you crazy, but if you enjoy studying the material and find the challenging questions fun only then you will survive this, else its better to opt for something other than engineering.

The biggest problem is that 10th class syllabus is no where near similar to what you are going to face in 12th. So until you are actually there you wont know and changing direction mid field is sort of difficult.

I know this does not sound like any advice at all, but I am just giving you my personal experience.

PS: I did Civil Engineering from IIT Kharagpur.

VanishingNerd said:
IIT exams over the years have started favoring hard work over shear brilliance. Brilliance is still a requirement but hard work pays off more. I can tell you my personal routine while I studied for IIT.

I got up at 4:30 went to first tuition at 6, school from 7:40 to 1:30, another tution from 2:15 to 3:30, another tuition from 4:15 to 5:30 and then studying on my own and doing assignments from 6:30 to 11-12. It is hard and quite literally drives you crazy, but if you enjoy studying the material and find the challenging questions fun only then you will survive this, else its better to opt for something other than engineering.

The biggest problem is that 10th class syllabus is no where near similar to what you are going to face in 12th. So until you are actually there you wont know and changing direction mid field is sort of difficult.

I know this does not sound like any advice at all, but I am just giving you my personal experience.

PS: I did Civil Engineering from IIT Kharagpur.

Okay, first of all, why did u have so many tuitions? The tuitions I am talking about are all in one. They are gonna cover everything for me.

Second, did you choose CBSE board for your 11th and 12th? I want to choose between that and State board. Again, that is another confusing issue for me....

And another, going by your routine, u slept for just 4-5 hrs a day.. How did u manage that? That is not even healthy!

VNerd had ISC, which i personally think in those times was much more suited for someone preparing for JEE [except for the #%$%$%%$ English, screw you Hamlet]. Now the trick would be as to how much you would be able to bunk school. In most cases board syllabuses are a subset of what you will study for JEE, so you can surely put the school academic on the back burner, focus on JEE, and keep switching onto the school academics as and when necessary. Try to get sufficient time out for you to do self study and practice.

A WARNING: these are my personal opinions, I had given JEE long ago [2000] and most of the conclusions about bunking school is what I had gathered from the other batchmates at IIT, I myself had to maintain 99% attendance at school.

anibhatt said:
VNerd had ISC, which i personally think in those times was much more suited for someone preparing for JEE [except for the #%$%$%%$ English, screw you Hamlet]. Now the trick would be as to how much you would be able to bunk school. In most cases board syllabuses are a subset of what you will study for JEE, so you can surely put the school academic on the back burner, focus on JEE, and keep switching onto the school academics as and when necessary. Try to get sufficient time out for you to do self study and practice.

A WARNING: these are my personal opinions, I had given JEE long ago [2000] and most of the conclusions about bunking school is what I had gathered from the other batchmates at IIT, I myself had to maintain 99% attendance at school.

The part in bold is very very important. I barely had 75% attendance and when in school I always sat at the last bench doing the assignment problems rather than listening to what was going on in the class.

lazygarfield said:
Okay, first of all, why did u have so many tuitions? The tuitions I am talking about are all in one. They are gonna cover everything for me.

Second, did you choose CBSE board for your 11th and 12th? I want to choose between that and State board. Again, that is another confusing issue for me....

And another, going by your routine, u slept for just 4-5 hrs a day.. How did u manage that? That is not even healthy!

As for why 3 tuitions, the first one was for Phy, next for Math and then Chem. I preferred going to individual teachers for each thing rather than join a combined course of some sort. Most of those usually have 1 or 2 subjects good the rest are crap, so I went the separate way.

As far as my boards are concerned, judge from my performance. English: 79:bleh:, CompSci: 99, Maths: 98, Phy: 97, Chem: 96 :rofl: . And I did not study squat for them.

You have to have commitment of a serious magnitude else you are going to conk out pretty soon. Hard work in your chosen field is every thing. If you can't do it for this, do not think of science streams at all. Take up something you are passionate about and stick to it. That is very important. To choose something you are passionate about and sticking to it.

well that depends on the peer and parent pressure too.....i slept 8 hours..went to school too...managed it somehow...but then those were different times....try and give it a shot u can shift gears later....

lol....u never need to study that much... i only studied like 3-4 hrs a day and had coaching from VMC, New delhi

But ya, i had tutions for chemistry ( i hate chemistry)

PS: I am currently in IIT Kharagpur :p

mutant said:
lol....u never need to study that much... i only studied like 3-4 hrs a day and had coaching from VMC, New delhi
But ya, i had tutions for chemistry ( i hate chemistry)
PS: I am currently in IIT Kharagpur :p

VMC is the keyword here...not all people have the fortune of attending such a focused coaching insti....

btw...which year are u in?

For all those who think AIEEE is a step down from IIT , see this years paper , IIT would probably be only 5% tougher

Do what you want too and not what others want you to do!

This thread is going to pretty much useless too u but all u should do is listen to what everybody has to share/advice and evaluate yourself in the end and then decide and trust me at your age if you discover how to evaluate yourself properly that will take you a long way.

Relax! have fun while you are at it and live a content life.

Personally i was a science student and i did ran into this big IIT dream but i guess i was never meant to be an engineer, i cracked DCE but i dropped this idea cause i was being offered Environmental Engineering which i was least interested in (god knows if i took that decision i would have been at some met dept or something :p)

Infact the very idea of Engg was uninspiring to me in someway, i took up a seat in DU and carried on with what i always wanted to do. Gaming and Music was all i ever cared for so im pretty much a Game Tester and Indie Music Producer/DJ and i just love being what i am and for the future i plan to mix my music with gaming and get into background scores/game music.

To sum it up ..Pure Instinct is what i rely on, i for no reason am saying that what i did will work out for everyone and neither am i earning multi $$$$ everyday but its just that i am content and i dont really give the heck that ill end up as a miser or a rich guy in the end. I did what i had too :)

Sanil

P.S- Yes Hardwork always pays!

anibhatt said:
VMC is the keyword here...not all people have the fortune of attending such a focused coaching insti....

btw...which year are u in?

i am in my final year, and yea, VMC is the best coaching out there with brilliant teachers :)

First of all, you need to decide whether you really want to go into Engg or some other area. You are not too young to decide for yourself as someone implied. Just make sure that you do not make your choice because your friends are opting for it or because your parents want you to.

Secondly, If I were you, I wouldn't put 14~15hr a day on tuition's and studies even if its for IIT-JEE. Of course studying is necessary, but 14 hours a day is an overkill. I would say, just study at your own pace, Understanding the subject is more important and would come very handy in later life. Take time to relax and enjoy. Remember, your goal to become a good Engineer, not clearing IIT-JEE or landing in IIT. IIT is the means (probably the best means), but not the end.

I know too many mis-guided IIT Aspirants who after spending way too much hard work for clearing IIT-JEE behave as if they have reached the pinnacle of success in their life as soon as they land in an IIT and I know of many who have ruined themselves because they thought they have already reached their goal in life. There are also people who did bad in their +2/Intermediate exams because they were focusing on IIT-JEE and In fact there were a couple of guy's I know who cleared IIT-JEE, but failed their Intermediate. That kind of defeats the entire purpose.

So even if you decide to prepare for IIT-JEE, don't take it like your entire life depended on it. Take it slow and steady and take time to learn. If there's a shortcut to solve a math problem quickly, don't just learn how to use it, but also learn why it works.

I have myself never even tried for IIT-JEE, but I cleared the state Engg Entrance and and got my B.Tech (CS) from a good private Engg college, however for M.Tech, I did attempt GATE to get me into an IIT(with a minimal preparation of about 40 days and at my own pace i.e 1~2 hours/day) , but my 95.45 Percentile was not enough to land me in the IIT's I had applied for and the ones, I could get into, I did not apply for because they did not have the kind of subjects I was interested in. I got myself into IIIT for a specialization in the exact subjects I was interested and never once have I regretted not having landed in an IIT. Even a couple of classmates who regretted not having got into an IIT were rid of their their regrets when we visited IIT-Kanpur a couple of times and saw first hand the kind of work that was going on there in our area of interest and found that we were way ahead in those areas. I fully enjoyed the two years of my M.Tech and the kind of projects and research I got to do during that time. So, I would say its not about whether you land in an IIT or not, but about what you would be most happy doing.

Back