Sony changes the DSLR game - the A55 and A33 are launched!

I don't usually do this, and am not very excited about new SLR launches anymore.
But today is a landmark day for digital photography - kinda like when Panasonic launched the G1 2 years back! :D

Sony's launched the new A55/A33 "Single Lens Translucent mirror" cameras - SLTs as they call it.

What does this mean?
These cameras have a translucent mirror instead of a fully reflecting one, which doesn't need to flip up or move to allow light to the sensor. 70% of the light passes through and 30% is sent to a Phase detection sensor.

What does all that gibberish give you?
- Full highspeed auto-focus during video! This is it!
- A high-resolution EVF which is faaar better than all entry-level DSLRs (100% view, 1.4megapixel, 60fps, 1.1x magnification!)
- Compact body - faaar smaller than the usual SLRs but still a traditional grip and comfort!
- 10fps! :D
- A new 16megapixel sensor which goes up to 25,600 ISO

Oh and ALL this for $750!!!!

No wonder the review sites are going mad about it:

DPREVIEW GOLD AWARD

IR's best rating: "At the other end of the spectrum, for the enthusiast with time to become acquainted its capabilities and familiar with its quirks, the Sony A55 expands the realm of amateur photography further than any SLR to date. "

Luminous-Landscape says that the Sony A55 "challenges the big boys, Canon and Nikon, to get off their butts and start offering something new and exciting."

Wow. Stunning releases. And there are MUCH more on the way!
Go Sony Go! :D

Cheers!
Payne

articulated.jpg

pelliclemirror.jpg

Sony's Mega Launch : 2 DSLRs 2 SLTs and 3 Prime Lenses

sonylogo.jpg

Its raining cameras this month of August as Sony launches 4 Cameras and 3 Prime lenses today ( 24 Augusts , 2010 ).

First the DSLRs

1) DSLR A580

2)) DSLR A560

Key features

1) HD video at 1080i upto 60p

2) 16.2 megapixels sensor for the A580 and 14.2 megapixels in the A560

3) Max ISO upped to 25600

4) Continous shooting 7 fps with AF on first frame, 5 fps with AF in each shot and optical viewfinder and 3 fps in live view

5) New 15-point phase-detection autofocus system

These are the first sony DSLRs with HD video recording capabilities. This is what the cameras look like

sonya580520x400.jpg

sonyalpha560580cameras3.jpg

Now the SLTs

Sony launches 2 SLTs the cameras with Sony's translucent mirror technology. Which means the camera with have phase detect AF in live view. The semitransparent mirror allows some light to pass for the camera to have continuous auto focus.

1) Full HD recording with contiunous autofocus

2) In Built GPS receiver in α55

3) Contiunous shooting at 10 fps

4) α55 (SLT-A55V) (16.2 megapixels) and α33 (SLT-A33) (14.2 megapixels)

5) 100% Electronic view finder and Quick live view

6) ISO 100 to 25600

7) Articulated screen

sonya55.jpg

sonya33a55540x442.jpg

Lenses :

3 Prime lenses have also being launched

1) 24mm f/2

2) 35mm f/1.8

3) 85mm f/2.8

Links : A560 and A580

A33 and A55

Prime Lenses

Re: Sony's Mega Launch : 2 DSLRs 2 SLTs and 3 Prime Lenses

Wow ! Only $750 for the A55 ??? I was expecting a $1000 price for sure. Will probably get the A55 instead of the A700 replacement as I do not think the A700 replacement will have the tilting screen which I really really want.

@adder: The Nikon D3100 is nowhere close to this man. :) This is more of a 550D/D5000 competitor which is faar better than them in every photographic way. :D

Looking at the cam from Video perspective... I am not sure about the 1080i instead of the norm 1080p.....

It does shoot 1080p 24/30 but is wrapped in a interlaced container.Video editors like final cut will show it as 1080p.

Wait for the RAW samples to arrive. :)

To me, every camera currently on the shelf (barring the Sony A290/390 and m4/3rds) are all very good at ISO 1600-3200.

That is enough for 99% of camera usage.

For example: My Sony A850's 24.6MP sensor is supposed to be the *worst sensor* at high ISO, but I take great shots at ISO 2000 with it. No kidding! I can post some samples here but most are people shots so they come with that baggage. :D

Anyway, here's an example at ISO 6400 JPEG straight-out-of-camera in B&W mode: Simply Suhas! | Flickr - Photo Sharing! :)

Cheers!

Payne

-D.Payne- said:
@adder: The Nikon D3100 is nowhere close to this man. :) This is more of a 550D/D5000 competitor which is faar better than them in every photographic way. :D
Eh?

Have you seen the high-ISO performance? Anything above ISO400 is an NRed problem. I'm waiting to see what Pentax does with this (similar) sensor with the new K-r and K-5.. they did a damn good job with the K-x where it mattered, and I'd expect nothing less with the K-r and K-5.

^^ Please read post above. :)

I honestly believe blanket statements such as "anything above ISO400 is a NRed problem" are done only by viewing review photos at 100% on screen. In the real world, every camera in 2010 (barring the ones mentioned in my above post) are darn good at ISOs upto 3200.

Also, for DPR to give a Gold Award is not a joke. I am willing to bet that this 16MP sensor is equal to if not better than Canon's 18MP sensor in RAW noise levels if it is already producing low-noise JPEGs. The question here is about noise levels and not NR. NR is high by default in Sony cameras - they prefer consumer-friendly output while Nikon is far more photographer-friendly.

Cheers!

Payne

What in your opinion does this mean for micro 4/3rds?

Anyway, I'm not too concerned as I don't see Panasonic even bothering to market their m4/3 cameres in India. (Typical japs....fantastic products but they have never been committed to releasing high end products in India.)

Knowing Sony, the AS5 will be soooo overpriced IF it ever hit's our shores.

But the Mirroless cameras still have a market,the lens of Sony A mount are still bigger,the depth of A33/A55 camera are close to 2x more then say the NEX,but obviously a lot more comfortable to hold.But these new cameras will most likely effect the sales of M4/3 or Sony own NEX.

Well india is a small market,sony hasn't yet bothered to launch the NEX,they also never launched the midrange and high A mount DSLR.Perhaps they may launch these.
As far as pricing i think atleast for the cameras they will be competitively priced like the A200 which was once the cheapest DSLR in india.

adder said:
Well india is a small market,sony hasn't yet bothered to launch the NEX,they also never launched the midrange and high A mount DSLR.Perhaps they may launch these.

As far as pricing i think atleast for the cameras they will be competitively priced like the A200 which was once the cheapest DSLR in india.

India is a small market because those Sony #$#$#& head honchos have overpriced all the freaking lenses and accessories in India. :mad:

FaH33m said:
I am in love with the A55 .Might consider it if its priced ~45k with kit lens . :p
I will be the second customer for sure if thats the price when it launches in India. :eek:hyeah:

3 years warranty on Sony DSLRs is really neat. :)

Back