Sony HandyCam

Tell Me guys what do you think about this handycam?

DCR TRV HC 32E / HC21E

the general features in brief are:

1. MiniDV Digital Video Recording
2. 1/6" CCD Imager, 800K Gross Pixels, 400K Effective Pixels
3. 20x Optical Zoom, 800x Digital Zoom
4. Digital Still Camera function with PictBridgeâ„¢ compatibility
5. 2.5" LCD monitor features recording and zoom buttons on the LCD frame which allow for easier operation and flexibility when shooting
5. Super SteadyShotâ„¢ controls a higher range of shake and vibration frequencies to ensure your home videos are recorded with a greater level of smoothness
6. Super NightShotâ„¢ plus uses an infrared system and Colour Slow Shutter that allows you to record images in colour in total darkness.
7. STAMINAâ„¢ battery power system provides up to 8 hours of continuous recording or playback time on a single charge using an optional NP-FP90 rechargeable battery
8. Analog-Digital Signal Conversion function
9. Digital editing solution thanks to the i.LINK â„¢ connector and supplied
10. PC-application accessories like USB cable, Driver software, Picture Package â„¢
11. software, Direct access to "Click to DVD"* 1/VCD Burn";
12. Memory Stick®Duo media slot (Sony HC 32E Only)
13. MPEG Movie EX
14. Progress Shutter System
15. USB Streaming allows you to broadcast live video with audio over the internet using the USB interface or stream your favourite recorded scene stored on tape to your PC
16. Intelligent Program AE (Auto Exposure)
17. InfoLITHIUMâ„¢ Battery System with battery meter indicates power remaining in minutes and is not prone to memory effect like Ni-Cd batteries
Manual Focus
18. Multi-Language Operation: English, Simplified English, Canadian French,
19. Remote Control included
There are also some cool accesories:

1. AC-L25 Power Adapter/In-Camera Charger
2. NP-FP30 InfoLithium® Rechargeable Battery
3. DRCA-C121 Handycam® Station
4. RMT-831 Remote Commander Remote Control
5. Stereo AV Cable
6. USB Cable
7. CD-ROM with USB Driver (PicturePackageâ„¢ Software Ver. 1.5 for Sony)

would it be a good buy??????? what do u think?

My cousin has a Panasonic DVD Handy cam and I have a SOny DVD Handy cam. The quality is stunning on the SOny. I will always remain a Sony fan.

Just wanted to know if there was such a handycam[not only sony one]
- Clicked Images saved on the Memory Stick &
- Video saves on the Tape.
- Videos can be transfered to the PC from the handy cam with help of USB conn
- Budget solution 20-25K

Also wanted to know which is the best tape format i mean MiniDV , Hi8 etc...

I guess MiniDV is the best atleast that is what i am using....
But if you wanna go for quality, buddy shell out another 5k and you can get a pretty good 2.8MegaPixel Handycam it is around 31k where I live......
and then u vcan go higher also.
But definitely SONY is the best i have come across.
I went to Samsung, Panasonic, of the same type but less money but the Quality is REALLY POOR.

In 19K u can get a pretty good handycam....but all the Night feature is Not there. but yes all the features you have mentioned are ther. it is a .8Megapixel model from SONY but is rather Bulky.

Yup Hi8 is long dead, mini dv is what rocks in image quality. For the quality and all i prefer Sony since i own one; the DCR-PC101 actually.

@quad: Most Dvcams will do the things i mentioned. If they have a memory mode then u can click pics which are saved on a mem card or stick. The videos are saved on a minidv tapes which are really hi-def tapes. One hour of uncompressed dv footage can take up arnd 70Gbs on ur hdd i think. Videos will have 2 captured using a firewire and i think there is a tut on this @ TE.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are getting it from abroad, then do not settle for anything less than a DVD camcorder. I have one and the quality is stunning. It really is. Better than Hi8(obviously), better than miniDV, better than anything I have seen. It is like a pro quality DVD. The only thing which beats it is the High Definition camcorder ;).

I got the the highest version for 45K. The same price as inthe US but from Bangkok. If you are getting a camera from the US or Thailand, then DVD Camcorder is the way to go.

You might also try to get it from Nepal, or kolkatta, there a lot of duty free goods are available.... u got to do a good bargain, but the DND camcorder available here, i got for 43k.....
U can try that too

For 43 K you get the low end version which is still better than the Hi8 or MiniDV. But in India, I doubt it. COz' there is only one model listed and the MRP is listed as 59K.!!!!

And this is not even the high end version. SAD!!!!!

i have used sony dcr trv 33e

it is really a nice handy cam and easy operation to stream video to pc.

trv series handycam are really good and buy only mini dv.

after sony panasonic and jvc are good brands rest of them are not worthy.

i am also waiting for dvd handycam to come in market and i may opt for it when one of my friend comes from usa.

Nikhil said:
If you are getting it from abroad, then do not settle for anything less than a DVD camcorder. I have one and the quality is stunning. It really is. Better than Hi8(obviously), better than miniDV, better than anything I have seen. It is like a pro quality DVD. The only thing which beats it is the High Definition camcorder ;).

I got the the highest version for 45K. The same price as inthe US but from Bangkok. If you are getting a camera from the US or Thailand, then DVD Camcorder is the way to go.
I dont think the Dvd camcorders have better quality than minidv. Mini DV tapes have a bitrate of arnd 25Mbps as compared to the 7-8Mbps of a dvdcam. A lot of professionals and movie makers have turned to minidv for their recording and movies ! The one i have cost me arnd 80K sumthng but that was like 2 years back. Also since the movies in dvdcam are burnt on the mini 3cm dvds they have to be re-burnt after editing and stuff.

I have a sony handycam miniDV, bought abt 6-7 months back for 45k. Its image quality is awesome, I find it better that DVD's!

Also remember one thing though, remember to buy the firewire (they call it iLink) cable, cause the USB quality SUX.

I have a panasonic MiniDV with a Leica lens. Don't find anything wrong with it. Don't know why so much of panasonic bashing is going on around here :). The quality is as good as (or rather better :p) than DVD cos it saves in MiniDV format.

Back