Camera Sony launches the worlds fastest semi pro camera A77

Well i rechecked the ISO1600 from what i see the NEX has much more detail in jpeg then the D3100 at for that matter a 600D ,so not sure by what you mean by noise supression,since if the noise suppresion in NEX is high or aggresive granted you will not see less noise but at the cost of detail ,but from what i see i see more detail in NEX .

I also see the the nex having the edge in dynamic range vs canon cameras like 600D

Anshul said:
on top it says 1/3 and below 1/2 :p
1/3 or 1/2 its still less than 2/3 ! :)

Truth be told no one really knows how much light loss is incurred as Sony refuses to disclose the same.

This guy here - http://thesybersite.com/sony/a55/index.htm

Tried it out and claims 1/2 light loss. I feel its 1/3 from his own photos but its still less than 2/3.

apollyon said:
Buffer size is only 11 images for raw+jpeg, 18 images for jpeg and 13 for raw. Disappointing figures, what good is 12fps if the camera pauses for 2-3 secs after every burst?
Very valid point ! Not sure why Sony decided that 13 images were sufficient for their semi pro body. No one will complain if they put that in a sub $1000 body but for their top of the line APS-C camera it deserves a bigger buffer.

Aces170 said:
^^ Hmm I checked sample images at ISO 1600 of it and Nikon D3100, and feel the anti-noise suppression is very harsh in Sony, plus at-least it seemed to be loosing a bit of color fidelity compared to Nikon.

Anything above ISO 1600 and all the crop sensors start loosing a lot of color fidelity. ISO king is just a benchmark phenomenon real life results are very close to each other between Nikon D3100 and this camera. The Canon sensors produce higher noise, but seem to have a slight edge in dynamic range. Color fidelity is an issue in all crop cameras at ISO above 1600..

Canon sensors having better DR than Sony sensors ? The 16 MP sensor from Sony has the best DR by a fair margin than any of the previous sensors from either Sony or Canon. High ISO performance is not overtly better than the competitors though.

Hi Guys.

Just how much does sensor size matter? Probably not as much as some think, according to Mike Johnston. In this article, he provides comparison images of a model's face using several formats, one being Nikon's new CX format.

The Online Photographer: Mike's Position on Sensor Sizes

When I reflect upon all that ever went wrong with my pictures, very little of it had anything to do with the limitations of the camera or lens. IMO, one's pictures can now be improved more by improving his skills than by selecting the next larger format or another camera brand or model.

Unfortunately, new cameras do not come packaged with new skills or talent.

:)

Those who want to buy a Sony/nikon camera better buy it now and those who are waiting for their new cameras to hit the streets well good luck with that.
Both these manufactures have been effected heavily by the floods in thailand and tsunami in Japan(camera sensors ,batteries are still made in japan)
sony_thai_water.jpg

I am waiting and watching. Will probably choose a lower end camera and pick a better lens instead. I dunno how long lasting their electronic cameras will be so I would rather spend on lenses.

BF1983 said:
I am waiting and watching. Will probably choose a lower end camera and pick a better lens instead. I dunno how long lasting their electronic cameras will be so I would rather spend on lenses.

You just need another minolta film slr and you are set for life. Dont buy one as old as you this time :bleh:

I already have a 1980 era Minolta film camera. :D

Already clicked 1 full roll with it. I don't even miss the fact that the film SLR doesn't have a LCD screen at the back since the one on my DSLR doesn't work anyways. :)

BF1983 said:
I already have a 1980 era Minolta film camera. :D

Already clicked 1 full roll with it. I don't even miss the fact that the film SLR doesn't have a LCD screen at the back since the one on my DSLR doesn't work anyways. :)

I suspect you found that 1980 FF pentaprism viewfinder to be a breath of fresh air. How's your film adventure going, Brendon? You probably didn't know that I have a Minolta XG-7 with a 50mm f1.7, from about 1982.

When is your A77 coming in? ;)

^^ My film adventure didn't go too welll unfortunately. You can read about the whole incident in the jjmehta forums.

I have decided against going for the A77. Decided to buy a cheaper body instead. Maybe something like a Sony A35.

The reason being is that two important functions are already inbuilt into a Sony SLT body - mirror lock up and DOF preview. Since there is a fixed mirror, mirror lock up is no longer necessary and the EVF of the A35 affords for a realistic DOF preview and its 100% view at that. :)

The main things that the A77 has over the A35 is more Megapixels, a heavier and sturdier body, more AF points (but the A35 is plenty fast for me) and a better EVF (which I woundn't mind) and a couple of other stuff like faster burst speeds and twin control dials. However the A77 costs 100% more and I don't feel the need to spend that much more as I don't require the additional speed and IQ isn't going to be better for the sizes I print and for web viewing.

I understand your sentiments, Brendon. I think it is really cool how that DOF preview is available at full brightness in the EVF, and that MLU is rendered irrelevant. The 100% frame accurate finder is a feature that most folks never appreciate, or even think about. It's good to see that SONY is putting pro-like features into the camera body you are considering.

SONY is leading the way in the EVF SLR technology, IMO. The other guys had better get off of their duffs, or they will regret it. I believe EVF will be the norm for new digital reflex cameras within five years.

Happy day.

:)

Back