Sony Xperia Z5 phones official. Z5 Premium is the world's first phone with 4k UHD display

Sony Mobile has officially unveiled the newest member of its flagship Z series in the form of the Xperia Z5 (E6603, E6633, E6653, E6683). The key differences in Sony’s latest flagship is the inclusion of a fingerprint sensor, located on the side of the phone, along with a 23MP Exmor RS rear camera capable of 0.03 second autofocus.

All three have Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 octa-core 64 bit processor inside, Adreno 430 GPU, 23MP rear camera with Exmor RS, 4K video capture and output, 5x clear image without loss of quality, 5MP with Exmor R™ as front cam, up to 32GB of internal storage (expandable by microSD), high-res audio chips, Stereo speakers, and "up to two-day battery life."

The Xperia Z5 comprises of 5.2" Full HD 1080p (1920x1080 pixels, 428 ppi), IPS display, 3GB RAM
Xperia Z5 Compact gets 4.6" 720p HD (1280x720 pixels, 323 ppi), IPS display, 2 GB RAM.
Xperia Z5 Premium has 5.5" 4K (3840x2160 pixels, 806 ppi), IPS display, and 3 GB RAM.

Also, all three get Chemical tempered glass + Anti-fingerprint coating, IP65 / IP68 dust-tight & waterproofing feature along with capless USB ports.

Hands on videos for:
Xperia Z5 Compact, Xperia Z5 Premium, Xperia Z5

Excerpts from Live feed from IFA 2015-

"Best camera created specifically for a smartphone"

"Made to address camera frustrations: new auto-focus speed of 0.03 seconds, the world's fastest auto-focus"

"Sony Xperia Z5 has a 23-megapixel camera"

"Addresses the issue of shaky videos thanks to the new Steady Shot Advanced image stabilization. Does this mean OIS?"

"2-day battery life on the Sony Xperia Z5"

"Sony Xperia Z5 is water-proof"

"Sony Xperia Z5 Compact is also official! 4.6-inch display, no compromise on the flagship features"

"Sony Xperia Z5 Premium is real! The world's first 4K smartphone"

"5.5-inch 4K UHD display on the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium"

Sony Xperia Z5 will be available in White, Graphite Black, Gold, Green.
Xperia Z5 Compact will be available in White, Graphite Black, Yellow, Coral/Pink.
Xperia Z5 Premium will be available in Black, Chrome and Gold.

-Xperia Z5 and Xperia Z5 Premium will be available in both single- and dual-sim variants.
-Xperia Z5 and Z5 compact will be available from Oct 2015, whereas the Z5 premium will arrive in November.

Last edited:
Wow...4k display and if sony says super optics, I would go with them...I am sure the top end phone is going to be mighty expensive as well.

Why couldn't the Z be QHD and the compact HD.

Just completed 2 years on the original Z, waiting to upgrade, clearly I can't afford this.

4K on a 5.5" display? I thought even QHD was an overkill. Wonder how much the battery would last on the Z5 Premium.
Z5 seems to be the best of the three, if it is priced right. I'm sure the premium would be priced premium.

4K on a 5.5" display? I thought even QHD was an overkill. Wonder how much the battery would last on the Z5 Premium.
Z5 seems to be the best of the three, if it is priced right. I'm sure the premium would be priced premium.

Yeah you're right,
Also RAM should've been at least 3gb on the Z5 Compact too. Anyways compact would be most battery efficient. I guess, if SD 810 woes are sorted out, it should be a good buy.

Good that Sony stuck to 1080p on Z5, it's more than enough. Hopefully all will feature Qualcomm quick charge & supplied with a capable charger. One more flagship not adopting USB C, mostly next versions probably.

If Sony gets The real world performance of the camera and pricing right, then it's a must buy.

Waiting for a fresh batch of iCrap on Sept 9, let's see.

Yup agree with the thoughts here. The Z5 seems to be the best of the lot, specially since all the addons and specs are the same between the premium and the z5, specially the camera. Waiting for the review.

UK price for z5 premium is $1065. Roughly 70,500rupees
Pretty much expected along those lines. But for 70K, people are gonna expect a lot more. At least 4GB RAM, wireless charging, etc.

OT: I guess very near in the future, banks will start asking for smartphone make and such details before giving out loans.

I thought of buying an android last month. I zeroed on op2. Saw performance comparison between opo and op2. 810v2 is not much impressive except for heating issue getting sorted.
Hoping for the best from 820. Next year.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-Z5-overheating-Snapdragon-810-still-an-issue_id73422

There are a couple other sites mentioning the same. I'd avoid an SD810 mobile like a plague. Seems like there is no consistency.

Probably that's why OPT is thicker to manage the overheating issues. All flagships that relied on Snapdragon for Chipset have been a failure this time. In my personal experience M9 with metal unibody and SD 810 used to be unbearably hot. The fact that HTC preferred mediatek over snapdragon for temperate climates like ours, speaks lot about it's drawbacks.

Samsung wanted to promote their Exynos over Snapdragon, they got it right this time. They'll mostly stick to Exynos for their future flagships as well.

Back