Audio Speaker and LAN Cables

Hi All,

We are constructing a house, just wanted your opinions on avoiding a cable clutter free house. Its a duplex house. I would be having a hall measuring 21*30 feet off which 21*17 feet will used to house TV, HT Setup, furniture etc. and I will be having a small room of 10*10 for housing Gaming PC on the first floor.

Location of the house : Bengaluru ( Yeah right its Bengaluru now)

Devices owned: A Gaming PC with Logitech Z906,
Plans in the future: Will be shortly building a HTPC and HT setup in the ground floor hall (meanwhile I will be using the Z906 in the living room).

Current Progress of construction: Plastering has been completed on all internal walls. Next thing will be get the electrical wiring and tiles laying.

I have following queries
1. What would be the best cable to purchase and quantity to purchase( I guess 30Metres should suffice). This will be used to connect the speakers on the Ground floor to the amp and to connect Z906 in the first floor to the PC. From what I have heard people have advised me on oxygen free cable. What gauge should I buy? Will 16AWG be sufficient to power up the Z906? I am welcome to online purchases or local stores in Bengaluru. This is what I have found
a. How about MX Cables or
b. http://www.hifimart.com/cables/speaker-cable/dac-spk16-awg-ofc-dual-speaker-cable.html
2. What is the height at which I should place my surrounds?
3. Should I get the wiring done under tiles or on internal walls(Personally I prefer under the tiles because plastering for internal walls have been completed and the electrician was reluctant doing on the walls)
4. The Gaming PC will be placed on the first floor, I want the HTPC to be connected over LAN to access all movie/music. Should I make provision for LAN Cable or connect to the desktop wirelessly by media streaming? For wireless connectivity, ATM I am using Asus RT N13U. Might upgrade if there is any signal issue at poitn of the house. In case if I connect over LAN, which LAN cable should I buy?

PS: Will be more than welcome to the share the plan of the house if anyone needs.

TIA,
Chaoseater

1. Oxygen free *copper* cables - OFC - are all OK. Reg size, check out the terminal size of the speakers.
a. MX is a good brand.
2. Height would just above normal sitting height. Check out a few audio speaker websites, they provide drawings too.
3. Don't lay cables under the tiles, if any problem comes up, you need to break & redo the flooring, while walls are much more convenient.
4. Where possible provide LAN connections. They are the most reliable & fast. Providing now is easier. From my exp., in LAN cable not much of difference in quality, it is generally purchased in bulk. Not seen much branding.

If you can accommodate (which I think might be impossible at this stage) a LAN duct (isolated from the electrical wiring) from first floor to the ground floor connecting key areas you can do away with the hassles of wireless connectivity everyone is facing. Alternatively you can still make provisions to use gigabit powerline adapters by getting extra plug points (would be a bit costlier).

I'm using MX 12AWG speaker cables in my car and its excellent.

Get 14AWG speaker wires from MX. Their shop is just at the entrance of the SP road to the left, it was around 70rs a meter IIRC. 12AWG was 100 or 110 per meter. 16AWG should be cheaper.

Back