Speakers with really clear vocals ?

Ever since moving to LCD screens and downloading or streaming movies, I have had this problem where the vocals are just not clear. Either the music is too damn high or the dialogues are a lil mumbly. My aging parents struggle more than me. The other day I connected an ancient Rs500 F&D speakers to a mobile for a zoom call, and was shocked to hear how clear the vocals were.
Anybody got speakers which helped make the dialogues clearer?

Another peculiar observation: Sound is better in the next room compared to the TV room. Why?

Ever since moving to LCD screens and downloading or streaming movies, I have had this problem where the vocals are just not clear. Either the music is too damn high or the dialogues are a lil mumbly. My aging parents struggle more than me. The other day I connected an ancient Rs500 F&D speakers to a mobile for a zoom call, and was shocked to hear how clear the vocals were.
Anybody got speakers which helped make the dialogues clearer?

Another peculiar observation: Sound is better in the next room compared to the TV room. Why?
Acoustics

Old CRT TV's had front facing speakers. LED TVs have down facing speakers. Down facing is good for bass if the tv is set up on a wooden table or cabinet. On the wall, not so much. Try holding a cardboard sheet below the tv speaker at 45° angle like \ down part should be facing towards you. Does it make a difference?

@chetansha nailed it wrt acoustics.

Imo, if you are listening to 5.1 audio through stereo tv speakers or a sound bar, you need to boost the center channel first by 4-5db. Most of the time everything is mixed at the original volume. Voice dialogues is in center speakers.

Don't you see any changes when you change the TV audio mode. I keep mine on Vocal mode. For PC or movies, one can change the equalizer settings bringing the mids forward as well.

Next time buy a tv with front firing speakers not bottom

Check audio by putting tv somewhere else in room temporarily, acoustics must be playing havoc in ur case most probably as was suggested above

As others said change equaliser

Buy any decent 2.1 system or a Soundbar, most of the tvs now a days need that if you really wish to enjoy..

Again suggesting next time buy a tv with front firing speakers makes a huge difference i chose a tv with less features but front firing speakers ans boy i am happy...

I got a pair of 3inch mackie bookshelves which have less bass but clear vocals, you can go for the 4 or 5 inch ones for more bass. Or else polk soundbar is a good option

I am also looking to connect a pair of bookshelf speakers with my bravia tv, haven't decided if passive is the way to go or not.

Use equalizer.
Emphasize 400-1200 Hz if you want to improve the vowels.
Emphasize 2000-6000 Hz if you want to improve consonants.

In my experience, listening vowels is not a problem with even the poorest speakers, it is the consonants that are most important to make a sense out of what we hear. Hence I always turn up the 2000-6000 range. Careful though, turning up 4000-6000 Hz will start "bleeding your ears" and also turn up the background noise (like wind, traffic etc) present in the video/audio.

Last edited:
Not an expert but I bought Edifier's studio monitors with Hi-Fi audio. Amazing clear sound. Sound bars and most cheap 2.1 speakers are too colored (bass boosted and similar crap). I think you should go for bookshelf speakers that are being marketed as studio monitors. They have to have a clear flatish sound since they are "monitors". And are not too expensive either. Flat sound does not mean no bass. There will be bass only when the audio producer wants the bass to be there.

Unfortunately a good 2.1/ 2.0 speaker system often costs more than 20 times the television.
What's your budget?
Is there anything chi-fi in speaker universe?
I am planning to buy a pair of Barefoot Speakers, but they are very expensive, usually don't mind spending on audio, but these are pushing the limits.
But the sound quality is phenomenal!!

Unfortunately a good 2.1/ 2.0 speaker system often costs more than 20 times the television.
What's your budget?
Is there anything chi-fi in speaker universe?
I am planning to buy a pair of Barefoot Speakers, but they are very expensive, usually don't mind spending on audio, but these are pushing the limits.
But the sound quality is phenomenal!!
Edifier is technically chi-fi-. They started off ultra cheap but now with all the hype they're higher priced. Like the whole swans hype.

Not an expert but I bought Edifier's studio monitors with Hi-Fi audio. Amazing clear sound. Sound bars and most cheap 2.1 speakers are too colored (bass boosted and similar crap). I think you should go for bookshelf speakers that are being marketed as studio monitors. They have to have a clear flatish sound since they are "monitors". And are not too expensive either. Flat sound does not mean no bass. There will be bass only when the audio producer wants the bass to be there.
I like the sound of these. The reviews seem to match what I want. Levelled out sound. Which is probably exactly what I want.
btw I am not really buying anything now. People around me will freak out.. I do have a few extra speakers with me

I like the sound of these. The reviews seem to match what I want. Levelled out sound. Which is probably exactly what I want.
btw I am not really buying anything now. People around me will freak out.. I do have a few extra speakers with me
I know what you mean. Anyway, if you do get them, you won't regret it.

Back