(SPOILERS) Please explain me Interstellar loop

^thats why I said they did not consider entropy into the equation. Thats the loophole.
There are many other loopholes like that.

For example, the gravity on the other planets. you just cant land on a bigger planet without feeling heavy and getting shorter in height.

You can not just jump into a black hole without revolving around it at speed of light and in the process evoporating in the form of xrays

gravitational waves just cannot create grafitti using dust.

you cannot walk just like that after being in zero gravity just like that. the astronauts had to be carried by other people when they land back on earth.

I can go on listing..

Last edited:
Well, to name a few:
1. Amelia Brand doesn't age w.r.t Cooper at the end even though he has been inside a black hole.
2. Earth can send video clips from families through wormhole but not the other way around.
3. Advanced astrophysics through morse code?
4. How can cooper communicate with TARS inside the black hole?
1. Cooper exactly isnt inside black hole. He was put in Tesseract before he drops into black hole. He was put by 'them'. Cooper also doesn't age and so is Amelia. Cooper was in Tesseract about 50 years. And Amelia travels to Edmunds due to slingshot effect from Garantua, so due to heavy gravitation around Garangtua she also experiences time dilation. In easy words, it took about 50 'Earth' years for her to reach Edmunds (but for her it may be few hours). If on millers, it was 1hr = 7 years. Here gravity was even more strong, so I guess she travelled to Edmunds in far less than 7 hours, thanks to huge drift gained from slingshot.
2. Not really a loophole. Mostly made for plot convenience for drama. You could also say that they were near event horizon of blackhole, so data was only getting in and not getting out. (I don't know how accurate it is as physics point of view)
3. he is sending raw data not astro physics formula/equations. The reason we cannot defy Gravity is we don't know what happens inside/near to balckhole. Coop sends that only. So its gravitational anomolis, mostly numbers. This is explained in the book by Kipp. Since both are trained physicists at NASA, morse would be fine.
4. Both were put in Tesseract by 'them'

Last edited:
1. Cooper exactly isnt inside black hole. He was put in Tesseract before he drops into black hole. He was put by 'them'. Cooper also doesn't age and so is Amelia. Cooper was in Tesseract about 50 years. And Amelia travels to Edmunds due to slingshot effect from Garantua, so she also experiences time dilation.
2. Not really a loophole. Mostly made for plot convenience for drama. You could also say that they were near event horizon of blackhole, so data was only getting in and not getting out. (I don't know how accurate it is as physics point of view)
3. he is sending raw data not astro physics formula/equations. The reason we cannot defy Gravity is we don't know what happens inside/near to balckhole. Coop sends that only. So its gravitational anomolis, mostly numbers. This is explained in the book by Kipp. Since both are trained physicists at NASA, morse would be fine.
4. Both were put in Tesseract by 'them'
What is a Tesseract?

I can go on listing..
Please go on. I will ask around and try to find answers for you or someone here may know the answers.[DOUBLEPOST=1417603986][/DOUBLEPOST]
What is a Tesseract?
In easy words it's a 4D object, where time is the 4th dimension (along with the usual three).

May be in future we will figure this out and time will be just another dimension. We can go to any point of time we want, as we can move freely in space, from Delhi to Hong Kong

Also, even if cooper was put into a tesseract and then dropped into a black-hole, he is technically still in it where as Amelia is moving away from the black-hole. So she should age in my opinion.

In the first planet with that waves, they say gravity is more than that in earth. How did they get out of that planet in their spacecraft? Don't you need a lot more thrust(more than you need on earth) to escape gravity there? Don't you need big a** rockets for that?

In the first planet with that waves, they say gravity is more than that in earth. How did they get out of that planet in their spacecraft? Don't you need a lot more thrust(more than you need on earth) to escape gravity there? Don't you need big a** rockets for that?
exactly... if the size of the earth is increased by 1.5 times I think, we would never be able to make it into space. due to the amount of rocket fuel needed to reach escape velocity.

exactly... if the size of the earth is increased by 1.5 times I think, we would never be able to make it into space. due to the amount of rocket fuel needed to reach escape velocity.
Don't know why you got this notion, millers planet is as same size as of earth's.

Don't know why you got this notion, millers planet is as same size as of earth's.
yeah, if miller's planet was same size of earth, then how could the rocket take off without the help of booster rockets?

OT: Apart from these technicalities, did anyone notice the amount of noise in the background during the low light shots? I mean they were shooting the movie with big ass imax cameras and latest and greatest equipment. They could've bought faster lenses to avoid the high iso situation. just saying...

Got a mathematical voodoo after some searching.

F8OFRM7.png

https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...ve-the-water-planet-in-the-movie-interstellar

So lower escape velocity plus advanced Ranger (which is clearly inspired by SSTO vehicles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-stage-to-orbit) means that it isn't a loophole. Just advanced science.

Well, to name a few:
1. Amelia Brand doesn't age w.r.t Cooper at the end even though he has been inside a black hole.
2. Earth can send video clips from families through wormhole but not the other way around.
3. Advanced astrophysics through morse code?
4. How can cooper communicate with TARS inside the black hole?

1. Because Cooper wasn't inside the black hole. He was in a tesseract, rescued by 'them'. Plus, Murph mentions that Brand is setting up for a long nap, so the aging process is slowed down.

Last and most important point is that the last scene of the movie is not necessarily last scene chronologically. Nolan likes to mess up the order of the events.

2. Maybe the Endurance isn't equipped with necessary devices which can transmit data through the black hole. Perhaps NASA has to use those huge towers for transmission.

3. He only sent the constants. Remember Brand and Murph's conversation? His work was half done. It is implied that he only needed data from inside the black hole, from beyond the singularity to finish the equation.

4. Again, not a black hole. It is a tesseract.

yeah, if miller's planet was same size of earth, then how could the rocket take off without the help of booster rockets?

I missed your posts and this is quite easy. @Mr.J already posted an explanation, here's one more if you want.

spoiler: it's easy to take off from Millers than Earth ;-)

I think Neil deGrasse Tyson's take on the movie sums it up (dont remember where I saw it)- "It is a story about people travelling wormhole to other part of the galaxy. What kind of realism do you expect from it? It is a science fiction story, the whole "they" and circular logic comes from pre-destination paradox which is a trope from sci-fi. There are parts of it which are true to science and then there are things which don't."

Read about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_paradox

There is time travel involved in this movie, but not in the standard sense. There is only travel of information through time, with the help of gravity.
That was real interesting read. I guess any sci-fi would involve some amount of leap of faith and trust the author/storyteller to follow and the 'Rules' established by themselves and conclude accordingly.
A bit OT, but found a reference for a novel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Zombies) in the above wiki link and found in really interesting. Surprised that a movie has been made based on it quite recently starring Ethan Hawke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_(film)). Ratings for the movie seem good. Anyone watched this?

That was real interesting read. I guess any sci-fi would involve some amount of leap of faith and trust the author/storyteller to follow and the 'Rules' established by themselves and conclude accordingly.
A bit OT, but found a reference for a novel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Zombies) in the above wiki link and found in really interesting. Surprised that a movie has been made based on it quite recently starring Ethan Hawke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_(film)). Ratings for the movie seem good. Anyone watched this?
Yes, I watched it. It's good. If you've understood this paradox, the story is pretty straight forward.

One other loophole that bugged me was that how were the ice clouds hanging in the air?
If they are frozen then they ought to fall down due to gravity.
Or was the gravity on that planet not strong enough (which seems unlikely)?

One other loophole that bugged me was that how were the ice clouds hanging in the air?
If they are frozen then they ought to fall down due to gravity.
Or was the gravity on that planet not strong enough (which seems unlikely)?

Gravity was less than Earth hence you could see that they were able to float a little.

Back