Storage Solutions SSD and HDD for laptop

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
Apparently my Crucial MX100 seems died. It is no longer being recognized as boot drive in my laptop (though its only single drive I have).

Till now I was using 240GB SSD. But now thinking to get Samsung 850 EVO 128GB SSD for OS and WD Black 500GB HDD (via HDD cabby in optical drive) for few games installation and store some data.

Are there any other options available?

I am not looking to spend more than ₹8000.

@vyral_143 I had a similar thought as you initially so I'm actually going with a 500GB SSD for games and other quick access requirements stuff + 1TB general storage with the Seagate I picked up on an Amazon deal. My boot is handled by my 960 EVO m.2 so my earlier 250GB 850 EVO is on sale (had 2, Vivek took one).. and I upgrade to a single 500GB 850

@vivek.krishnan yeah I checked out @mach9 thread but I am out of India right now. Mostly not visiting before December.

@mach9 I thought of to go with 500GB SSD first since in my current 240GB, I had almost filled it. But then on doing bit cost conscious analysis, it contained quite many steam games installation, which I felt okay to move on a WDBlack drive as I game seldom now. My regular data is in 2 external drives so I am covered there.

128GB SSD + 500GB HDD along with HDD cabby will cost roughly HKD900 v/s 1250 HKD for 500GB SSD. Difference is around ₹3k.

Just checkdd out order details of this SSD from onlyssd aka Primeabgb. Order date was 23 August 2014. So, FML, warranty just got over yesterday.

I will try contacting Primeabgb if they can be of any help.

To update this thread with another query,

In August, post this incident, with help of @cyberwarfare I tried to follow some threads to revive SSD. After few hooplas and opening laptop, removing SSD for several time, it came back to life. Touch wood, till this day, it is working fine.

Coming to another query, I have 2 hard drives in form of 1TB HDD (which came with this HP laptop) in external casing and WD Elements 2TB (warranty of which is over). I have decided to put 1TB drive in laptop via HDD caddy in place of ODD (HDD caddy already ordered). I will also cleanup data on these drives to get data sorted.

I am thinking how can I achieve cheap local network accessible storage with my 2TB HDD. I access data on it occasionally - let say twice-thrice in a week at max. I have one Android box, TP Link Archer C2 at my perusal. I am not looking to stream data from this drive but may be just view/copy/paste.

To update this thread with another query,

In August, post this incident, with help of @cyberwarfare I tried to follow some threads to revive SSD. After few hooplas and opening laptop, removing SSD for several time, it came back to life. Touch wood, till this day, it is working fine.

Coming to another query, I have 2 hard drives in form of 1TB HDD (which came with this HP laptop) in external casing and WD Elements 2TB (warranty of which is over). I have decided to put 1TB drive in laptop via HDD caddy in place of ODD (HDD caddy already ordered). I will also cleanup data on these drives to get data sorted.

I am thinking how can I achieve cheap local network accessible storage with my 2TB HDD. I access data on it occasionally - let say twice-thrice in a week at max. I have one Android box, TP Link Archer C2 at my perusal. I am not looking to stream data from this drive but may be just view/copy/paste.

Without buying anything? Do it on the TP Link - i believe it has the USB port and can be used for sharing. This is the easiest way out.

Without buying anything? Do it on the TP Link - i believe it has the USB port and can be used for sharing. This is the easiest way out.
Yes, not looking to spend for now. Yes, router has one USB port. One question about longevity; would not HDD connected to router constantly under go some wear and tear in turn affecting longevity ?

If you are open to buying some HW, get a Pi2/3 and turn it into a local storage box. Easy, cheap and low powered
I had RPi2 but it is not my cup of tea :( Best would be UI similar to windows

That too is a good option - plus you can run torrents on it as well, like @cyberwarfare
Though this is good point, not much keen on torrent-ing at the moment as most stuff is streamed. :)

Apparently my Crucial MX100 seems died. It is no longer being recognized as boot drive in my laptop (though its only single drive I have).

Till now I was using 240GB SSD. But now thinking to get Samsung 850 EVO 128GB SSD for OS and WD Black 500GB HDD (via HDD cabby in optical drive) for few games installation and store some data.

Are there any other options available?

I am not looking to spend more than ₹8000.
https://www.olx.in/item/new-kingston-new-ssd-480-gb-ID1hAt19.html#8f5b43bb9d @ 8k

BTW The above SSD is mine and since I sold my Desktop this SSD also was sold along with it.

One question about longevity; would not HDD connected to router constantly under go some wear and tear in turn affecting longevity ?

no. i've put 2-3 2.5" portable hdd's as download drives connected to my now dead pogo plug for years. only one died due to bad sectors after 5 years of 24/7 constant use.
most drives have inbuilt timing mechanism where they shut off or spin down to reduce power usage and increase longevity of the drives. since you're using windows os, the drives will spin down in 10 mins and will spin up if there is any data usage on drive.

Yes, not looking to spend for now. Yes, router has one USB port. One question about longevity; would not HDD connected to router constantly under go some wear and tear in turn affecting longevity ?

I had RPi2 but it is not my cup of tea :( Best would be UI similar to windows

Though this is good point, not much keen on torrent-ing at the moment as most stuff is streamed. :)

Yes, but you need to look at the positives vs negatives. USB protocol itself is overhead IMO.

If you want Windows UI, get a small NUC. You can even get Android TV box and run SAMBA.

if the router has that option to sleep hdd, it will work. android box has auto sleep after 15 mins. i think i have seen the connected hdd go into sleep mode.

Thanks for the offer but I think I will stay away from Rpi. I had got it at steal from Amazon like many of us on forum and tried using it. After some months, gave up and sold it to @Arv90
If saving your HDD was a priority, I would have suggested you go for a larger SD card (64 GB+) on the RPI before selling it to me:p.
Let the SD card perform read/writes for torrents.

Create an FTP/Sambha share and transfer the files to HDD via Wifi/USB later.
One advantage would be that you can stream the videos on your phone once the share is set up.
And SD card would have been a cheaper buy.

But now thinking to get Samsung 850 EVO 128GB SSD for
Get the pro version which has 10-year warranty compared to 5-year warranty on EVO. Just a suggestion.

Back